The guitar tone is one of the worst I've ever heard
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I believe it's from their exotic woods range, and as Tony said, the wow factor stops at the looks. Whether they aren't woods that should be used for guitars, or Ibanez just can't voice them.
The headstock logo doesn' look even remotely like "Ibanez". Model name or something?
Quote by Bikewer
The headstock logo doesn' look even remotely like "Ibanez". Model name or something?

Yeah the pic is obviously an epiphone electric guitar but when you play the vid, it starts out with an acoustic ibanez exotic wood series and then freezes up 9 seconds in for me.
Quote by Jimjambanx
I believe it's from their exotic woods range, and as Tony said, the wow factor stops at the looks. Whether they aren't woods that should be used for guitars, or Ibanez just can't voice them.
They're all laminate, and woods which shouldn't be used, at the very least for, guitar tops They include maple, (which I love for B & S, but obviously under spruce), Ash, (which brings to mind Telecaster), zebra wood, (which is a fad B & S wood, don't know how it sounds), and there was a 4th, but I forget what that is/was.

Ostensibly, if you wanted a truly rank sounding guitar, you could grab something from Dean's "Exotica" series, which are pretty much the same junk, with the addition of bubinga, also a current fad wood.

The Ibanez do carry a great sounding onboard chorus, while Dean's offer the, "Aphex Aural Exciter".

The Aphex system was given back cover credit as being used to produce Linda Ronstadt's, "Simple Dreams" LP. So, it's been around for decades.

Quote by Bikewer
No, Ibanez "Exotic Wood Series", has a tapered headstock unlike their standard lines. Pay particular attention to the curly 12th fret position marker, it's Ibanez' "tell", and it's on their "ART" series electrics as well.

FWIW, those guitars aren't quite as rank as "System of a Down", (or apparently this band covering them), is capable of making them sound. I didn't say the guitars were good mind you, but when you pump a mediocre acoustic into a clipping amp, that's pretty much what you're going to get.

Myself, I can't abide "System of a Down", or Primus", which is another band who plays impressively fast, and ungodly over driven, but elicits an immediate channel change should I stumble upon them on TV. Pay me no mind, I'm just old, and hooked on clean.

Here's the guitar in question's page at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-EW20ASE-Figured-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric/dp/B0049QNJJU so you can check out the headstock. Note the guitar in the video could also be the quilted maple variant, I can't be certain.

As for punk / delinquent genre bands, "Dead Sarah" usually takes the cake for pure aural garbage. However, I ran across this video by them the other day which is far more melodic that either SOAD or Primus. But i's still pretty scary stuff :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ5uaoc6Iss

For anyone that even remotely cares, the Epi electric in question is, (to the best of my knowledge), is a Zack Wyld signature offering. I'm tired of researching this post, nor do I particularly care. So, if I'm wrong about that, f*** it.

Quote by rohash
Yeah the pic is obviously an epiphone electric guitar but when you play the vid, it starts out with an acoustic ibanez exotic wood series and then freezes up 9 seconds in for me.
Are you sure you're not having trouble with either your ISP, or your computer gizmo riggy thing? The video runs for me, (albeit with a bit of buffering), and I only have 1 meg DSL, which is pretty much this generation's dial up...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 21, 2015,