This will be mostly for bedroom/recording use. I'm trying to decide if I should get a combo or a head and cab, I'm looking at the DSL401 and Orange Tiny Terror atm.

How much would a decent cab run on ebay? What do I look for in a cab?
Last edited by The Bacon Man at Mar 19, 2015,
Cab prices are all over the board.
You need to be more specific.
"How much would a decent cab run on ebay?" is a little vague.
Its going to depend on:
Speakers

And don't confine your search to ebay.
Check out Avatar

Myself, I prefer head/cab over a combo.
You can use the head with different cabs and you can use the cab with different heads.
A head/cab rig is more versatile.

As to what you should look for, speakers for one.
Thats going to depend on what kind of sound you are looking for.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 19, 2015,
Quote by CodeMonk
Cab prices are all over the board.
You need to be more specific.
"How much would a decent cab run on ebay?" is a little vague.
Its going to depend on:
Speakers

And don't confine your search to ebay.
Check out Avatar

Myself, I prefer head/cab over a combo.
You can use the head with different cabs and you can use the cab with different heads.
A head/cab rig is more versatile.

As to what you should look for, speakers for one.
Thats going to depend on what kind of sound you are looking for.

I'm on Long Island. I like a slightly distorted, classic sound (Beatles, bluesy stuff, etc) , all the way to more high gain stuff (punk, easycore etc) and all the in betweens. Obviously this is a huge range to cover so I'm looking for a versatile speaker.

Most bands I play have the "cranked Marshall" sound to them if that helps. I plan to be playing at lower volumes.
i think i have 10 heads and 3 combos (all tube with a music man combo that is hybrid), i like head/cab. a lot of it depends what you are doing, but i like to be able to switch around heads and cabs.

cabs can be anywhere in price. i have on three different occasions bought English celestion loaded cabs for <$220. one was even an avatar. but i did spend $400 on an OS mesa 4x12".

i generally care more about the speaker and less about the cab. i have 6 4x12's 3 2x12"s and 1 1x12, with two more empty 1x12"s that i need to finish building.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i think i have 10 heads and 3 combos (all tube with a music man combo that is hybrid), i like head/cab. a lot of it depends what you are doing, but i like to be able to switch around heads and cabs.

cabs can be anywhere in price. i have on three different occasions bought English celestion loaded cabs for <$220. one was even an avatar. but i did spend $400 on an OS mesa 4x12".

i generally care more about the speaker and less about the cab. i have 6 4x12's 3 2x12"s and 1 1x12, with two more empty 1x12"s that i need to finish building.

How difficult is wiring a cab? I'd imagine buying an empty cab and speakers is cheaper than loaded.
I'm not a speaker expert, I only know what I need to get the sounds I want from my amp.

You'll probably get a few suggestion for a Celestion Vintage 30.
Quote by CodeMonk
I'm not a speaker expert, I only know what I need to get the sounds I want from my amp.

You'll probably get a few suggestion for a Celestion Vintage 30.

I heard bad things about the newer Chinese ones, but V30's are typical of the bands I like.
Quote by The Bacon Man
How difficult is wiring a cab? I'd imagine buying an empty cab and speakers is cheaper than loaded.

five minutes is all it takes. most are using terminals and speaker wire (not cable, just stranded wire).

filling an empty cab with speakers is probably more expensive. its quite easy do spend $150 a pop on a speaker. thats $600 for a quad, and for that (assuming your speakers choice is found, would be a new avatar, or used orange, marshall, mesa, etc.

its easy to get twice the value of speakers in a cab than what you pay.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
for most modern music, T75's and V30's are most popular, i really like k100/k85's.

if you are wanting a speaker rec, i would email the cab company or the speaker company, tell them your amp, guitar and what size you want and see what they say. or just be like me and hoard cabs. .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
for most modern music, T75's and V30's are most popular, i really like k100/k85's.

if you are wanting a speaker rec, i would email the cab company or the speaker company, tell them your amp, guitar and what size you want and see what they say. or just be like me and hoard cabs. .

I have 3 of the k85's
Got 2 of them in a 2x12 cab and the other one in another 2x12 cab with an Alnico Gold.
Works well for me.
If you're looking at head/cab's that are as small as the tiny terror, you're really not going to notice any of the advantages that are typically associated with that setup. It's worth saying that anything larger or with greater wattage than that amp will probably be overkill. I kid you not, my AC30 was as loud as a jumbo jet and would easily blow way past comfortable SPL's and clipping levels in the studio - this meant that I'd never get a fulfilling power tube saturation on any recording. I imagine the DSL401 would have similar problems in a studio or bedroom environment.

Head/cabs configs are most convenient if you're running something louder'n'heavier like a 4xEL34 head with a 4x12/10 cab, and you can't have or don't want the weight associated with a combo. They're also awesome in the studio for having multiple different speaker options available for one head. Head/cab configs are also more expensive, and can sometimes have fewer features than their combo counterparts: reverb tanks are almost never an option with head/cab configs, and then you're locked into tremolo or reverb from pedals.

Personally, I like combos with two or more speakers: I hate having to carry any extra equipment for live gigs, and IMHO swapping out cabs in the studio consumes more time than it's worth. You'll get more noticeable variation in the mix between two different mic placements than you will with two different speakers. If you want noticeable variation in your tonal pallet, you'll simply have to try a different sounding amp. Live, however, I've found that going from a 2x12 to a 1x12 speaker config really impacts the sound, and I think it comes mostly from the phase cancellation between the speakers. But lets be real here: just as the audience won't notice the difference between Eventide and Boss delay algorithms, they ain't gonna notice s*** about my more nuanced speaker selection in one cab over the other. It's all completely subjective, and more or less arbitrary to a final live product.

Which is why ya really oughta just take your guitar and a friend to the music store, so that friend can help you blind test a few different amps of the same size. All current Vox, and many current Fender amps - which fit some of the the sound profile you described - are almost exclusively available as combo amps, and you may not necessarily want to exclude yourself from those options merely on the condition that a head/cab configuration isn't available. Who knows, the Guitar Center guys might let you swap around some speaker cabs if you're dead set on the TT.
Quote by The Bacon Man
I'm trying to decide if I should get a combo or a head and cab

Or a combo and cab!
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Fumble fingers
sweet picture Judist !! .... for me its about weight and the head wins everytime
Oh it's not mine. I'm still anti-Marshall
A combo is often lighter than a head + cab, but the weight divided up can be easier to manage I agree.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
I just really don't think it matters much either way. Pick the one you like and run with it. I have moved away from larger amps and cabs over the last five years and prefer smaller combos now but a TT and Avatar cab are easy to transport and sound very good. A combo can be run through different speaker cabs just as easily as a head so flip a coin. Remember that this is an amp you will probably own for a few years until tastes and needs change so don't sweat it too much.

So many amps, so little time...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 20, 2015,
Quote by leonkennedy74
If you're looking at head/cab's that are as small as the tiny terror, you're really not going to notice any of the advantages that are typically associated with that setup. It's worth saying that anything larger or with greater wattage than that amp will probably be overkill. I kid you not, my AC30 was as loud as a jumbo jet and would easily blow way past comfortable SPL's and clipping levels in the studio - this meant that I'd never get a fulfilling power tube saturation on any recording. I imagine the DSL401 would have similar problems in a studio or bedroom environment.

Head/cabs configs are most convenient if you're running something louder'n'heavier like a 4xEL34 head with a 4x12/10 cab, and you can't have or don't want the weight associated with a combo. They're also awesome in the studio for having multiple different speaker options available for one head. Head/cab configs are also more expensive, and can sometimes have fewer features than their combo counterparts: reverb tanks are almost never an option with head/cab configs, and then you're locked into tremolo or reverb from pedals.

Personally, I like combos with two or more speakers: I hate having to carry any extra equipment for live gigs, and IMHO swapping out cabs in the studio consumes more time than it's worth. You'll get more noticeable variation in the mix between two different mic placements than you will with two different speakers. If you want noticeable variation in your tonal pallet, you'll simply have to try a different sounding amp. Live, however, I've found that going from a 2x12 to a 1x12 speaker config really impacts the sound, and I think it comes mostly from the phase cancellation between the speakers. But lets be real here: just as the audience won't notice the difference between Eventide and Boss delay algorithms, they ain't gonna notice s*** about my more nuanced speaker selection in one cab over the other. It's all completely subjective, and more or less arbitrary to a final live product.

Which is why ya really oughta just take your guitar and a friend to the music store, so that friend can help you blind test a few different amps of the same size. All current Vox, and many current Fender amps - which fit some of the the sound profile you described - are almost exclusively available as combo amps, and you may not necessarily want to exclude yourself from those options merely on the condition that a head/cab configuration isn't available. Who knows, the Guitar Center guys might let you swap around some speaker cabs if you're dead set on the TT.

Size isn't any issue to me, in fact if it weren't for the cost I'd have a Plexi stack next to my bed simply because it looks badass. I was planning on using the DSL with low master volume, I think preamp gain is enough for what I'm playing.

Hopefully I'll get to GC tomorrow and try a few amps.
I'll always go with Head/Cab. There's so much more room to customize/upgrade. It's a lot cheaper to buy a new head (or cab) instead of a combo to change up your tone.