I currently have an old Line 6 Spider III 15 amp, a Delta Lab multi fx and a Digitech distortion. Most of the time when I'm playing, I'm recording songs through my UX1, but I've recently been yearning to get a good live setup that I would mostly be playing with at home (no gigs, currently). I like to play modern/progressive metal type stuff, think Northlane, Periphery, Fit For a King, Killswitch Engage, etc.

Basically what I'm asking for is some advice to put me in the right direction to get a decent setup, amp and pedals. Tomorrow, I plan on picking up a Blackstar LT Dual Overdrive. Good idea or nah? I've been playing long enough to be able to tell whether something has good sound quality, so I'm thinking I need gear to match my experience. I don't have too much cash to throw around, but I am open to all suggestions. Thanks!
You haven't provided a budget, but most people will tell you that the 5150/6505 is the standard amplifier for recording metal, and they are absolutely right. I haven't literally looked up all of those bands albums on wikipedia or anything, but I can tell you off the top of my head that Periphery uses the 5150 amp sim on their Axe-FX and the rest of those bands, if not using 5150 sims, are probably using a 5150/6505, if not a Mesa/Boogie or JCM800. Those are just the amps that modern metal bands love.

If you are on a mid range budget, you can find a used 6505+ combo amp for less than 400 bucks. It sounds fine at bedroom levels (to me at least) but of course it is also capable of getting loud as balls. If you want to throw some pedals at this, the classic set up would be an Ibanez TS9 (or DigiTech Bad Monkey if you need to save a bit of cash), MXR 10 Band EQ, and an MXR Smart Gate or ISP Decimator, depending on your budget.

You can get that entire 6505+ rig for less than 800 dollars if you go used. If 800 is too much, you can certainly survive without the pedals for a while.

If even 400 for the amp alone is too much, then to be completely honest, I would suggest getting Positive Grid's new tube amp simulator if you have an Apple device, then all you would need is a way to connect your guitar to the device: http://www.positivegrid.com/jamup/

If you don't believe that this tube amp sim can sound amazing, just check out Jeff Loomis and Keith Merrow's Conquering Dystopia playthroughs on youtube. They use it on those videos.

If you are like me and still stuck in the droid world, then really it depends on your budget. To me, since you already have a Line 6 Spider, you are likely best saving up at least 400 dollars to get a 6505+ 112 combo amp. Any other amp would really be more of a side-step that an move up for metal, even the Vypyr.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
^ what BV_95 said.

Get a good tube amp for metal and a boost like a boss sd-1 or a tube screamer and a noise gate like a boss ns-2

I get most of those tones you are after with my laney IRT 60 212 combo boosting it with a boss sd-1 and using a boss ns-1 after the sd-1.

I think BV_59 said it all tho.
These guys all use 6505's or axe fx's.

Get a 6505, a TS style pedal to boost the front end, a noise gate that can be set very tight, a cab using v30's (possibly one of the big orange's, or a single v30 if you go for the combo), and possibly an EQ.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into getting the 6505 112 and it sounds like something that I would want, although I do not look forward to the maintenance costs of a tube amp. I was able to go to Guitar Center a few days ago to try it out, but they didn't have any out at the time. However, I did get to play through a Marshall 40W (I forget which) and and EHX Metal Muff, which sounded pretty good. Can anyone recommend a good SS amp in the $400 price range?
Quote by BlackFalcon17
Can anyone recommend a good SS amp in the $400 price range?

Not really, they all sound like shit in comparison to the 6505 that is the same price. Just get a tube amp. What maintenance cost are you talking about? Replacing the tubes? You do that once a year, and tubes cost like 15 bucks each dude.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/jj-electronics-12ax7--ecc83-preamp-vacuum-tube?cntry=us

See comment below, ****ing THIS:

Quote by trashedlostfdup
tube amps are not expensive to maintain. you will get at least 5 years out of preamp tubes (i own around 15 tube amps heads and combos, and i have only had three or four preamp tubes die on me in the last few years). power tubes can last 3 years of heavy use easily. good new production 12AX7's range between $10-$18 a pop on average. 6L6's are pretty cheap for power tubes as well.

i can't compare to you my tube life because i have a lot more amps in action than most. its no more expensive than what you put into maintaining a guitar, between picks, strings, etc. i really wouldn't worry about it at all.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Last edited by BV-95 at Mar 22, 2015,
tube amps are not expensive to maintain. you will get at least 5 years out of preamp tubes (i own around 15 tube amps heads and combos, and i have only had three or four preamp tubes die on me in the last few years). power tubes can last 3 years of heavy use easily. good new production 12AX7's range between $10-$18 a pop on average. 6L6's are pretty cheap for power tubes as well.

i can't compare to you my tube life because i have a lot more amps in action than most. its no more expensive than what you put into maintaining a guitar, between picks, strings, etc. i really wouldn't worry about it at all.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
you probably played a haze. metal muffs sound like shit IMO. the haze is a disappointment too.

as far as SS amps go, they wont get the tone you want.

however the ampeg vh140c is SS and quite nasty, it won't do the same tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by BlackFalcon17
Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into getting the 6505 112 and it sounds like something that I would want, although I do not look forward to the maintenance costs of a tube amp. I was able to go to Guitar Center a few days ago to try it out, but they didn't have any out at the time. However, I did get to play through a Marshall 40W (I forget which) and and EHX Metal Muff, which sounded pretty good. Can anyone recommend a good SS amp in the $400 price range?

Don't waste your time. Just get a proper amp and you won't regret it. You'll end up spending more on stuff that you didn't want than on a new set of tubes once every blue moon.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?