Ok so i am in the process of making an album, 14 songs, im very pleased with them so far. my one main problem is i am a rubbish singer, and i have thoroughly failed to network so i think i will enlist the help of a session singer.

really im thinking to myself how will it work, i have recorded it all on logic pro x so far and am editing and getting the songs totally worked and reworked till they are perfect, then i plan to rerecord it with my dad who has a lot of lovely old analog recording equipment and will give it a rawer more authentic sound with any luck.
then the plan is to take those finished instrumental songs and have a session singer record their parts over the top of it separately and we all go away happy.

But yesterday i started having naggling doubts about the singer part, im no producer, but im starting to think recording the singing parts over the top after everything else has been done might sound weird and out of place, not to mention they might just make a half assed job of it since its not their songs and they most likely wont give a rats ass about them. im also after quite a specific type of singer or someone who can impersonate that type of singer very well. anyway what do you think about this idea? crap or what? and most likely very expensive. thats why i cant be left with a shite product at the end and i need all the advise i can lay my hand on before i commit to anything.
So anyway, if anyone has some tips or advice here i would be very grateful
I agree with you that recording vocals over the end product won't sound good...especially if you have analog equipment.. record everything first then mix and master it and let it go through the tape all together...

what type of a vocalist do you need? I am an experienced singer and if I like your music I'll offer my help gladly
Quote by un_like
I agree with you that recording vocals over the end product won't sound good...especially if you have analog equipment.. record everything first then mix and master it and let it go through the tape all together...

what type of a vocalist do you need? I am an experienced singer and if I like your music I'll offer my help gladly

i would love a singer a bit like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_ecz0z_ihk

i mean of course nobody can perfectly impersonate another singer, this style of music is sort of similar to some of the songs off of my album aswell, though some of them are rockier also. the wrong singer will make the songs worthless, so i am very fussy about who sings on them.
(sigh) cant help feeling iv set myself a near impossible task.
Last edited by NoTroll at Mar 20, 2015,
what you just posted here is pretty easy to sing, I don't see any possible problem
I've got a youtube channel with few home recordings so you can check it out, I didn't put much time in it so it's not hi quality (for now) but you can hear my skills...don't get put off by heavy music, I'm open to a lot of genres and will record something for the ladies too

www.youtube.com/user/unlike13/videos

I can record your songs and send you raw .wav tracks for mixing etc. Ofc I would like to hear your ideas first
Quote by un_like
what you just posted here is pretty easy to sing, I don't see any possible problem
I've got a youtube channel with few home recordings so you can check it out, I didn't put much time in it so it's not hi quality (for now) but you can hear my skills...don't get put off by heavy music, I'm open to a lot of genres and will record something for the ladies too

www.youtube.com/user/unlike13/videos

I can record your songs and send you raw .wav tracks for mixing etc. Ofc I would like to hear your ideas first

wow i must admit you have a great powerful voice with plenty of bite, this could be very interesting.
so well none of my song demo's are quite finished yet but il be sure to let you know as soon as some of them are. the album so far seems to be a weird mixture of rock, folk, odd experimental stuff, tribally percussion and some elements of world music. i have 14 songs only 1 of which will be instrumental, so if you do want to do this itl be quite a task.

im making it through logic pro x so far so the demos may sound a bit.... err robotic and maybe a bit too much like video game music to start with, but im hoping in the studio that can be rectified.

anyway its up to you man. if you seriously are interested then it might be worth a whirl.

none of the demos are ready yet, it might be a few months before they are but anyway in the meantime heres a song i made some time back that is vaguely a bit like something off the new album but not quite (youl have to excuse the poor singing and bad recording quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsPJT20JE7A

the new songs are also a bit more complex and interesting than this i hope.

heres another example of how id love the singing to sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7PQh0ZgA_U
Last edited by NoTroll at Mar 20, 2015,
even though the singing is bad I get the idea and I like it, it sounds pretty radio-ish and I can imagine myself driving in my car on a sunny spring day while listening to that song...if you're planning to have a solid end-product I'm willing to do this...I'm unemployed (even though I have a law degree) so I have a ton of free time and am trying to do something out of my music skills...So just let me know when you have something I can work with...

btw if you happen to not like my interpretation you won't be obliged to use it, I won't mind

p.s. I have a shure beta 58a and am ordering a pop filter from ebay so I can't offer you a studio quality cos I don't own a condenser microphone so keep that in mind
Last edited by un_like at Mar 20, 2015,
Just a tip for getting the vocals sitting in the mix, don't mix it before vocals! In essence, get all your parts recorded, but not finished, just recorded raw audio tracks, no processing. Then you want to get the vocalist to sing over that. You can always get a rough balance/mix of the instrumental for the vocalist to sing over, but you'll need to mix everything again when you have vocals, since you'll need to adjust frequencies depending on the vocal track. Doing all the mixing before this will mean the vocals will either sit under or over everything, which will sound weird.

Even if you've not used all analogue gear for the vocals, they'll still be completely comfortable in the mix. Pro studios wont always use the same pre-amps and gear for the same parts.

Also, any decent session singer has the ability to sing any style and sound exactly as they're told. So as long as you know how you want it to sound, and you can tell the singer what that is, then you'll get the result you want
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
I got all kinds of musicians for clients when I worked at a studio. It really depends how you want to work.

You should do rough mix of the song before vocals, get that to a singer and ask for raw tracks back.
Then just import into your project and mix as you want it. There are some paid online sites that let you enlist any kind of musician.

If you want more input - find someone local and either produce it or take it to local studio.

The main thing is to grab the whole song as it is lined up from 0:00 to say 3:45 minutes with no pause in the beginning and mix that into stereo file. Use same frequency as your project, say 24bit/48khz, and ask as same thing back. You could stripe a few hits of click say in fiurst second, then leave small empty space before the whole thing and ask them to bleed that back on the vocal track so it'll sync in time. If they select the whole length of project back the vocal track will be empty file before vox kick in but will be same length as your project so it will auto align when imported back. I'll try to find better explanation and post back.

Personally I'll find a studio so I can produce and not worry about the mechanics, punch ins, etc. They'll most likely will have much better signal chain than you, say U87 through Pultec into Neve or Trident desk, so you'll get better vocal quality. Most likely the engineer would be able to recommend someone. Make sure you have some production leeway, as if you need a redo. Last singer I hired we opted for one redo in case something needed to be fixed, she wanted $150 per song, and had to come back for few punch ins.

If you're working in analog, it will be harder as you'll have to export multiple tracks to DAW, add vocals, then either mix in digital or record whole project back as multi track. Some analog recorders can be slaved via time clock but it tough.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 20, 2015,
alright thanks very much everyone im taking everything on board, and un_like iv sent u a message on youtube so we can talk about this more in depth.