So here goes -

I work in Scotland currently in a company called Arup, just about been working here a year now so it's progressing nicely, they are even offering to send me on day release education to get better skills to help me do my job (i'm a mechanical/electrical draughtsperson) The only problem with the office i'm in is I very rarely get work from here, that's why I work from London often.

So today, I got an offer from a friend in London who I often work with to go down to London and work in their office on a long term assignment (1-2 years) The London office is a big deal in Arup, all UK work hits there first and then moves on, so I would be in a great place for meeting lots of contacts around the world, much better than where I am now! However as mentioned previously, it is only 1-2 years, not a guarantee i'd keep that job.

First big problem, I might not be able to return to Scotland as my job will have been replaced, so i'd end up getting punted anywhere, i.e. Leeds or Manchester office, and that doesn't really appeal to me.

Moving to London would be such a good career opportunity and just having the chance to go live elsewhere in the world for a couple years (even if its still in the UK) would be pretty cool, but i'm also terrified it would mess my career up.

I have no personal ties, so packing up and moving down is not a problem.

So my two questions are:

Londoners, how is it living in London?
Anyone, what would you do?

TL : DR Job offer to work in London for 1-2 years, scared to take it. Help.
I'd do it, if it doesn't work out, go the 'Full Monte,' they were northerners
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Yeah, I'd do it as well. I've lived there for about half a year, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And from what I understand from your post, it could be very beneficial to your career, even if it is just the 1 or 2 years.
Take the job, work your arse off for the 1-2 years, and make enough of an impression that they'll want to keep you there or one of your clients wants you for something else.
London is the worst city in the world. So no.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Okay, so there are two outcomes here. Either you stay where you are, or you move to London, right?
I'd say the London job is a pretty sweet opportunity, but with the risk of potentially being a short-term gig (as you said). But ask yourself this - How often would an opportunity of this character cross your path? From personal experience, I'd say that they don't come that often.

Now, the London gig has a lot of potential. Big city, good gigs and probably a pretty good city to step up a career in. Even if it is a short-term job, I'd still take it.
If I were in your position, I'd be a little scared myself, because I don't know what's coming after. However, I am pretty sure that I would know after those 2 years, I'd make sure of it.

Some risks are necessary to build a career, and for this particular situation you have the advantage of knowing what the risk is before you take the gig.

If you ask me, it ain't a career unless you haven't hit a few bumps along you way.

Take the job, network as much as possible and just keep building. You'll know where to go when you get there.

Good luck!
Its fine but can be expensive. You have a lot of tools available to you but you need to be careful about what you spend, where you spend. Think of it as underground zones: Most commuters live in Zones 4-6 where there's still very good connections to the city center, its just not in the city center.

Livings fine. Towns are close together, masses of public transport, some areas are shite (mostly west croydon and places around brixton) but some areas are shite anywhere else in the world. I mean, its London, pretty much everything to do with social interaction can be done there.

Sounds like a good opportunity to me, just make sure the offer is guaranteed.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
All I could think about reading this is how absurd a Scottish person saying Arup must sound.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Yeah Scotland is a shithole living down south is much nicer

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Do it! Don't pass up on a good opportunity to live in a different city. Finchley is pretty nice and reasonable rent prices for the distance. After 1-2 years you'll have a good idea of where you want to take your career and should have some good contacts if you want to leave your employer. Orr you can get a better position back in Scotland thanks to your experience in London.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by RAB11
Take the job, work your arse off for the 1-2 years, and make enough of an impression that they'll want to keep you there or one of your clients wants you for something else.

Perfect answer right there
If you have never checked out the Wood Brothers. Do yourself a favor and look them up. Best. Band. Ever.

Quote by GlenGuitar16
..I would be in a great place for meeting lots of contacts around the world, much better than where I am now!

So get your ass off of UG and take the job!!!

It's called taking risks. Do it.
Damn. The very mention of 'career' scares the shit out of me. Go for it, man. Don't end up a waster, like me. There lies self-loathing.

PS. London, in my experience, is full of rude people. They can't even queue for buses.
"2,000,000 NPS Whores" club.
Appreciating the beauty of music so fast it blows puny mortal's faces off.
Bow down to teh Shredzor!
PM La Qotsa if you want to join. No emotion? Pah!
Last edited by Arpeggio X at Mar 20, 2015,
Quote by Woffelz
Have you got any advice for an engineering student?

I am going to ask the exact same question.

A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Woffelz

Get out of engineering and use your mathematical skills in banking or insurance to make more cash than you will ever get in engineering, OR learn German and move to germany where engineers are respected like doctors etc.

(I am a chartered engineer)
Quote by PSimonR
Get out of engineering and use your mathematical skills in banking or insurance to make more cash than you will ever get in engineering, OR learn German and move to germany where engineers are respected like doctors etc.

(I am a chartered engineer)

thank **** I'm not staying in engineering anyway, I'm going to learn to maintain pianos first
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

First big problem, I might not be able to return to Scotland

You call that a problem?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Don't pass up an opportunity for a chance at something better. My 2c. If not, it'll be an exciting experience in life. We only get so many of those thrown our way.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Take the job, be amazing, and you will always find work. Companies never cast off their finest talent. They re-assign them.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Do it, even if it looks like you won't be kept on then it'll still look better on a resume to have that more impressive position. Plus, I feel like there'd be bigger opportunities in terms of other jobs in London.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Appreciate all the advice!

Think all you guys clarified what I really just knew, it's an offer I can't turn down - so gonna ask for a little more information on the position and see if it's reasonable, sorting out accommodation is the big problem, so once I figure out that I think i'll just take it, because why not?!

Quote by snipelfritz
All I could think about reading this is how absurd a Scottish person saying Arup must sound.

To be fair everyone thinks im working for an Arab till I tell them otherwise.