Hey guys, im repainting my ibanez 7 string. ive got it all sanded down, i just need to pick a color. but before i do that, i was wondering what the best type of paint would be to use. I dont know if theres a special type of spray paint for wood, or if i can just go to Lowes and get whatever color i like. I also want a satin finish so if someone knows a good brand to look for, please let me know

also, what color do you think i should paint it? I was just going to do satin white but im open to other ideas. let me know what you think!
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Color is your choice.

There are specialty finished for guitars that will protect the wood from the wear and tear of playing and accent guitars. Popular choices are nitrocellulose and polyurethane/polyethylene. Both of these are difficult to do at home though as you apply dozens of layers and have to sand between layers and it's a whole process. The problem with using regular spray paint is that it will chip after a while with buckle rash or wear out under the forearm. Plus it just looks cheap

My favorite type of finish to do at home is wood dye with an oil finish. You can get it knocked out in a week or so. I'm finishing an Iceman body right now with black wood dye and tung oil.

Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Most guitars have been painted with whatever works on a car. Gibson has traditionally used a grain filler (though when they went cheap for a while, they eliminated that on the less expensive guitars), but that's largely because the nitrocellulose lacquer they use is non-self-leveling. Fender started out using batch ends from the GM car plant in Fullerton.
This is how things worked when the Firebird was introduced:

Quote by TheStig1214
Color is your choice.

There are specialty finished for guitars that will protect the wood from the wear and tear of playing and accent guitars. Popular choices are nitrocellulose and polyurethane/polyethylene. Both of these are difficult to do at home though as you apply dozens of layers and have to sand between layers and it's a whole process. The problem with using regular spray paint is that it will chip after a while with buckle rash or wear out under the forearm. Plus it just looks cheap

My favorite type of finish to do at home is wood dye with an oil finish. You can get it knocked out in a week or so. I'm finishing an Iceman body right now with black wood dye and tung oil.

Regular spray paints, if done over properly prepared wood, are tough and resilient, and will not chip or wear out any faster. Google ""Guitar spray paint finishes".

While oil finishes go on easily and quickly (and look great), they're about the least durable of any guitar finish (I've got two tung oil finished guitars) and they will protect your guitar the least. They're outstanding for case queen guitars and absolutely miserable for any guitars that need to be gigged regularly.They're also quite easily damaged by moisture and they stain easily. Neither tung oil (or bore oil or boiled linseed oil or walnut oil, etc.) will offer much protection against dings and dents.
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 20, 2015,
You want to use a poly finish, it will be much easier to do, and does not take dozens of coats and is relatively easy to do at home. Basically go to your hardware or paint or auto parts store and pick up a can of automotive spray paint in the colour/finish you want and a can of automotive grade clear coat. Get yourself some fine sand paper and you are good to go.

Poly paints layers will bind together, so spray a light coat of paint on the guitar, wait about 15-20 min, do another - repeat about 3-4 times so you have a nice base, let dry - see paint instructions but probably 24 hours. Lightly sand with the fine paper to make sure everything is smooth and give another coat of paint and let dry. Once you have a nice base layer and don't need to sand start with the clear coat, basically following the same steps.

This is a very basic level of instruction, there are more detailed videos on youtube if you look for them, but it isn't that big of a deal. I know some guys who have knocked out a new finish in a day on their guitars and it looked good.
is poly more of a satin or glossy finish? i really want the finish to be soft and smooth (and fingerprint resistant). car paint seems like a good route to take, and i have professional sprayers at my disposal so that is definitely what i will do...maybe even a pearly white if i can find such a thing

another thing, i was considering painting the front and sides one color, while doing the back another color, but whats holding me back is that i know i wouldnt be able to tape it off as accurately as id want. any thoughts on that?
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
a poly finish is the type of paint it is - it comes in whatever finish you want, matte, satin, glossy, semi gloss etc. The smoothness of the finish is more dependent on your painting ability, but poly finishes can be very nice. Basically unless it's a Gibson LP, chances are that the guitar has a poly finish on it.

Finger prints more depends on what style of finish is used, satin vs gloss (gloss will show finger prints more). Also poly finishes are generally pretty durable.

For two colors - obviously it will extend the time to finish. Just get finer tape, you can get tape that is very narrow and use that to do the contours/edges of the area you want to tape off, when you stretch it out generally it will even do curves fairly nicely. If you can't get the tape to work then just go with one color.
For opaque finishes, I like Krylon or Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer spraycans (not Enamel), from sealer/base to color to clear. There are lots of YouTube vids you can check out. Crash Matos who painted those colorful CS Strats, including one of Clapton's Strats, used Krylon, too.