Hey UG world. Does anyone know where to go to get get certifed as a guitar tech? I'd like to start making some $$$ on the side by fixing other peoples guitars and what not. I know quite a bit already but really have no idea where I could go to get a legit certification. Does anyobe know a place or school where they offer these services? Thanks in advance guys!!
Quote by strat-O-matic92
Hey UG world. Does anyone know where to go to get get certifed as a guitar tech? I'd like to start making some $$$ on the side by fixing other peoples guitars and what not. I know quite a bit already but really have no idea where I could go to get a legit certification. Does anyobe know a place or school where they offer these services? Thanks in advance guys!!

1. Certification in almost any form that's not a government regulation or licensing requirement is useless except as a marketing tool for both the certificated yahoo and the people who collect the money to certify him/her.

2. "No idea where I could go?" Have you considered using Google?

Start with "guitar tech training" Should give you a pretty extensive list.

Check out "Musician's Institute's Guitar Craft training"

Want to learn high-end inlay? Talk to David Nichols at http://www.custompearlinlay.com
They have classes.

Want to learn how to build a high-end acoustic guitar (if you know how to build one, you'll know how to repair one)? John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars (just down the road from Martin guitars): http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/

There are about 225 tips and tricks "newsletters" available on StewMac's site. Start working through those and TRY some of the techniques.

Simply helping to set up some friend's guitars qualifies you for not much at all, other than an exalted position at a Guitar Center.
Certification is actually important/useful for people who want to do warranty repairs. For example, warranty claims through Fender have to be either sent back to Fender or go through a Fender certified tech. Being a Fender (or other large company, and preferably more than one) certified tech would make you a very attractive job candidate at any good music store. There are different levels of certification for Fender, I imagine other companies have similar setups that dictate what level of repairs you're allowed to do under warranty.

If you're just doing freelance repairs, though, it's not worth it.