Hi everyone!

I've got my eyes set on buying my many years' dream amp head: a Laney GH50L . But I don't know, yet, which speakers/cabinet I want. I hear the cabs that Laney produces to match the amp (the GS series) are horrible, and after reading that they have Celestion 70/80 speakers, I'm not surprised. Sorry if you like those speakers, but I'm not a fan.

One thing I hear is that the amp is often used with Celestion G12T-75 speakers, which is the configuration of one of my favorite tones I've heard from a guitar player, Alex Hutchings . That said, for a lot of my personal playing I could use just a tad more attenuation on the high frequencies.

(Side note: I'm actually thinking of getting a 2x12 cab where one of the speakers is a Celestion G12T-75 and the other is what this thread is being made to explore, with a customized switch to select which speaker is active.)

So, then, the question is: what's similar to a G12T-75 but with a rounded high end? I've heard that the Celestion Greenbacks are good for this, but they're only 25W, so I would need two or three of them to handle the power and that's not an option. I'm looking for a 1x12.

Might anybody know a speaker that's similar? The GH50L is a naturally bright amp, and I'm essentially looking for a speaker that, in comparison to the Celestion G12T-75 (see frequency response ) leaves bass untouched (small boost is fine), leaves the mids more or less untouched (more opening to boosting than scooping, if anything), and attenuates the higher frequencies.

I know there are some wizards out there and I appreciate ANY help and advice. Thanks a lot, guys and gals!
Last edited by The Loliver at Mar 20, 2015,
Actually, laney has made two versions of the GS cabs, I & P versions, the GS412I(S or A) comes with 70/80 speakers while the GS412P(S or A) comes with V30 speakers in it.

I actually like the way the amp sounds in this vid with a marshall cab http://youtube.com/watch?v=BjtRDSWzXuM

I guess 412 isnt an option, probably something from the eminence camp might be worth looking into, cant pick a particular one at the moment to recommend.
Last edited by steven_ferns84 at Mar 20, 2015,
I would recommend a Warehouse Guitar ET 65. It is supposed to be a clone of a Celestion G12T-65. It is one of my favorite speakers. It is a little chimeier than a 75, but sounds pretty close, but a little warmer. It will handle the wattage of the head. I have one paired with a Veteran 30 in my 212 for my Ampeg V4
Quote by Fryderyczek
Having a shitty amp and getting a distortion pedal is like putting a band aid on cancer

for music without words I help make: Listen Earth
Not sure if there's anything (at least that I've tried) which is exactly what you're after.

Classic lead might do it, but I'm not sure if it has more highs or fewer. Bit less fizzy than the g12t75, though. bit more modern-sounding and chunkier, too. the classic lead sounds pretty good in a 1x12 as well.

the creamback (higher wattage) version of the g12h30 might be worth a look, too. I've only tried the regular g12h30, though. similar idea (at least, the g12h30 is) to the classic lead but a lot more vintage-sounding.

EDIT: also some of the other companies' versions of the g12t75 might be worth a look, since they're unlikely to be exactly the same as the g12t75. They might be just different enough. Eminence and WGS do their own version of one (I haven't tried them). Might be worth an email to see how they differ from the celestion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 20, 2015,
My rhythm guitarist in a past band had a GH100H and he normally used with my 1960A (G12T75's) and it sounded quite good. He used a Randall Lynch 4x12 (greenbacks) at times. I thought that the greenbacks were too dark for it. I much preferred the T75's with that amp.
I haven't heard it with them but I'd suspect that a mix of T75's and V30 or Emi V1216 would be a great combination.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ I'd have said V12s might be too dark too if you think greenbacks are too dark.

v30/g12t75 will work well though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
V1216 are the SLO speakers. I wouldn't have called them dark at all. More V30ish than greenbacky really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
maybe my ears are screwed

i always thought they seemed a bit darker/mellower than v30s though
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?