Hello,
let's say I am in a band situation and we say: this song is in the key of Em. At home I practiced the minor pentatonic in Fm so what I would do is I would shift all five positions down one fret. Is that the correct way to do it or is there a more efficient and maybe better way?
Thanks
That's exactly right. Eventually you want to get to the point where you know where everything is and you don't have to do any calculations, but that's a good start.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Do this apply to ever scale,ever? I've become a huge fan of the Phrygian Dom. scale. I just completely fell in love with the sound. So far I've learned that one scale in 5 different positions,in the key of F.

Now,if I wanted it in another key,I'd just move all the scale positions up one fret or to the relevant key?

And,another question,I chose to learn it in F because then it would start off at the first fret. But say I want to learn it in A? I move up position nr.1 to 5th fret of the Low E. How are the positions built up "behind" me now? From the 5th fret down to the 1st? Can you move the positions in 2 different directions? Up AND down? Like this 5 4 3 2 1 2 3 4 5? <---- Position numbers, number 1 starting on the 5th fret.
^ The positions are always in the same order because the relationships between the notes stay the same. Everything you play on guitar is movable. If you have a scale shape, you can play it in any key.

There are different ways of playing the scale. The scale is all over the fretboard, it's not just positions. You can have horizontal and vertical shapes of the scale. You can have 3nps or 2nps shapes, sometimes even 4nps (but that's harder to play). It has everything to do with the way you are thinking.

Why the same phrygian dominant shape works for all phrygian dominant scales is because all phrygian dominant scales have the same interval structure, ie root, minor 2nd, major 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, minor 6th, minor 7th. This is what makes the phrygian dominant scale sound like phrygian dominant. All scales of the same type have the same structure (for example all minor scales are 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, all major scales are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, all blues scales are 1, b3, 4, b5, 5, b7).

I would suggest learning the note names on the fretboard and in the scale (similarly as when constructing chords), and also about scale construction - learn the interval structure of the major and minor scales at least. That way you don't have to ask these questions all the time.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115