Hello,
I intend to buy my first electric guitar(and amp of course). I'm not quite sure about which guitar to buy(most probably g&l tribute legacy or epiphone LP standard), but I know I will probably get the Line 6 Spider IV 15.
My question is, with that amp, which covers so much for the guitar, can't I settle for a cheaper guitar?
Definitely get the Peavey Vypyr 15 instead of the Line 6 Spider. Much better amp models and effects.

As for the guitar, you really need to just try out a bunch within your budget at Guitar Center and see what feels the best in your hand. IT also depends on what kind of style of music you want to play. Given that you are looking at a G&L Tribute series guitar and an Epi LP Standard, I would say you are not proportioning your budget appropriately. You should be spending more on your amp than the guitar. For the price of those guitars you can get a great used tube amp, and then spend a hundred or so on a decent used Jackson JS series or Epiphone.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
If you really want useful answers, give us your budget, location and what genre's you want to learn to play and we can suggest a "package" that will give you the best bang for you buck.

Avoid the Spider series amps.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by hadaron
Hello,
I intend to buy my first electric guitar(and amp of course). I'm not quite sure about which guitar to buy(most probably g&l tribute legacy or epiphone LP standard), but I know I will probably get the Line 6 Spider IV 15.
My question is, with that amp, which covers so much for the guitar, can't I settle for a cheaper guitar?

keep in mind that the guitar is what you playso settling on a cheaper one may not be in your best interest. not saying to go blow a pile of money on one but if you go to cheap then you will regret that for sure.

budget, what styles you play , location
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
First of all, thank you for your comments. As for the guitar, it was more of a hypothetical question, in order to see your recommendations.
The styles I play are mainly prog. rock(I realy like Pink Floyd), hard rock etc. My budget is around 550$ for both the guitar and the amp, and I'm located in Israel.
p.s what is wrong with the line 6 spider?
Last edited by hadaron at Mar 20, 2015,
^ Most people say it doesn't sound as good as other modelling amps which cost a similar amount of money (e.g. vypyr (haven't tried it), vox valvetronix, roland cube etc.)

how heavy do you get (when you say hard rock)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by hadaron
First of all, thank you for your comments. As for the guitar, it was more of a hypothetical question, in order to see your recommendations.
The styles I play are mainly prog. rock(I realy like Pink Floyd), hard rock etc. My budget is around 550$ for both the guitar and the amp, and I'm located in Israel.
p.s what is wrong with the line 6 spider?

line 6 amps just haven't kept up with the other options available. they aren't the worst but as mentioned there are better options for modeling amps. here in the US it's not uncommon to walk into a music store and hear some kid that can't really play blasting the "insane" channel on a low end Line 6 amp. this has given them a bad name as well.

hmmm... tough call as i don't have a clue what things go for or what is available in Israel. a Peavey vypyr series amp and perhaps an HSS strat (humbucker in the bridge and single coils in the middle and neck). this would give you a fair amount of sonic options. for david gilmour a strat with single coils would work best.
^ yeah i was gonna say the safe suggestion of a yamaha pacifica 112 (HSS strat, basically) and maybe a vox valvetronix assuming he doesn't get too heavy with the hard rock stuff.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks again for all the information. Well, I learn to play classic rock such as Pink Floyd, Scorpions, REM, Guns n roses, softer Metalica (I don't go too heavy). Now that I tried both guitars: g&l tribute legacy and epiphone LP standard, I like them both. I heard the difference and finally will go for the g&l unless I get serious rejects. I was shown 2 amps at the shop that met my budget: Line 6 Spider IV 15 and Marshall MG15CFX. So it is going to one of these two. Stiil I will appreciate your opinion. Thanks.
in that case get the Line 6 it will be better than the MG. of course plugging into a chickens ass will get you better tone (at least squawk) than an MG.
monwobobbo has much more experience with plugging into a chicken's ass than I do. Just to clarify, I have no experience with that.

And yeah i'd likely take the line 6 over the mg too. Though i think i've only tried the older versions.

i haven't tried the tribute g&ls.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
monwobobbo has much more experience with plugging into a chicken's ass than I do. Just to clarify, I have no experience with that.

And yeah i'd likely take the line 6 over the mg too. Though i think i've only tried the older versions.

i haven't tried the tribute g&ls.

hey i live in the country we get board out here . still working on the cow stack.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?