Page 1 of 2
People say, "Be successful," but what does that mean?

I have met and hung around plenty of driven, motivated people who work all the time, drink a lot, and never see their family or friends, but they make a ton of money and drive a fancy car. Is that success?

What is success to you? Are you successful?

It's estimated that the "ideal income" is around $130,000-$150,000, and above that your life becomes too stressful. It is said you should stay busy with work, but have enough time to pursue your interests, travel, etc.

I think the American ideal of "success" is all mixed up. What do you think?
Last edited by FrettieMercury at Mar 20, 2015,
Success... depends on your goals.

True success to me is happiness despite whatever material things you have, because that can be temporary. Your family could all die, your house and fancy car burned by fire, your money disappear... But no one can touch your mind, will, and drive. Only YOU can decide to be successful or not; it comes from within yourself.

Just my opinion
success - when one has everything one wants and needs.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I would like to have a well paying job that let me do the things I wanted to do without having to worry about a mysterious problem forcing me into dept while also not working a million hours a week.

I don't think that'll happen though anytime soon
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Tried a thread like this once before... didn't work out

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509784

You're starting at it all wrong, as it's clearly not about money (though depending on what your path is, you might need a lot to be effective). Success to me is just improving/mastering yourself, and putting in the GRIT 10,000 hours into whatever it is you find. Finding your calling in the world and pursuing it to make yourself something.

And not backing down when the path presents itself (like a pussy nihilist)
Last edited by Fat Lard at Mar 20, 2015,
for me, success will be when I have enough money to where

a) i dont have to look at price tags. if I like it, its mine

b) dont have to worry about stupid shit financially ruining me--ie, flat tire? just fix it. money doesn't even come to mind

c) i dont have to work. i can if i want to, but if i decide **** this im taking a 2 week vacation, i can with no issues whatsoever.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
for me, success will be when I have enough money to where

a) i dont have to look at price tags. if I like it, its mine

i'd quite like a private jet
I want enough money to travel and do dope shit all over the globe.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It's completely subjective to the individual.

I have material possessions and a good living. But I spend all of my time working and going to school, so I don't really have time to get out and meet people.

So to some, I may be successful because of my job and house and possessions, but to others, because of my lack of a significant other or anyone who could potentially be one, I might not be successful.

In my own mind, success isn't a status, but a difficult-to-reach, all-encompassing goal that includes financial stability, family/companionship, and the possessions that you take pride in for the sake of a hobby.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Success is being happy.

That might be money to buy you stuff, travelling, helping others, or simply being involved in a loving relationship.

So it depends on the individual to me. I need a mix of several things to make me happy, and therefore successful. I'm not particularly happy right now so I am not successful in my opinion

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I am so unsuccessful if you apply any of these definitions to my life.

I'm actually quite sad now.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96

Dude. Your sig isn't ****ing lying.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Pastafarian96

dude, order Chinese or Indian food, boom, instant success
Quote by GuitarGod_92
success is entirely about money because capitalism rules us all

next question hmu
But was the operation not a success?
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by SGstriker
Dude. Your sig isn't ****ing lying.

It's there for a reason
Quote by Bladez22
dude, order Chinese or Indian food, boom, instant success

I have dim sims in the freezer, I'll steam a couple of those. but that's the best I can do right now, mainly because I don't have the money to get more food.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

success is getting away with being lazy
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Pastafarian96

So much this! The only success I have is a few amazing friends... which is a start I guess, but financially Im ****ed
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by Eastwinn
you gotta do the thing

it worked for zhu li
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Everyone defines success differently. The importance of any human achievement is determined by the significance that society gives it. Maybe some people want to earn a billion dollars, or climb mount Everest. Other people just want to sit in their room and play video games.

I think it's human nature to always want more, so you'll never feel like you've achieved all you can. You only recognise success after it is long gone. I'd say that if you're lying on your deathbed with more fond memories than regrets, then that's a pretty good indicator of success.
Quote by mind_meld
Success... depends on your goals.

True success to me is happiness despite whatever material things you have, because that can be temporary. Your family could all die, your house and fancy car burned by fire, your money disappear... But no one can touch your mind, will, and drive. Only YOU can decide to be successful or not; it comes from within yourself.

Just my opinion

*Removed because major depression;*
Last edited by metal4eva_22 at Mar 21, 2015,
Quote by GuitarGod_92

next question hmu

HUU.

*Removed because major depression*
Last edited by metal4eva_22 at Mar 21, 2015,
Hey check out this major depression.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by GuitarGod_92

next question hmu

This.

We can talk about spirituality, happiness, love etc. but lets be real. You are successful if you're able to make a lot of $$$. Trying to make it seem as if it's about becoming a fulfilled human being is just society pretending that its interests and its socio-economic system aren't in conflict.

I mean people keep going on about how they value personal happiness and fulfillment but as soon as a sub-culture decides to go for that without going for a nice house, a good car and a decent working wage, people start to reject them as outcasts and losers blinded by idealism.

Hippies, communes and the likes? Worthless bums that don't want to work because that obviously makes them bad human beings.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
The beauty of all of this is that I'm able to read an entire thread about people defining success as some sort of personal thing. We define it as people having everything they want, people doing what they want, people being happy basically.

And yet I've never seen a guy who plays video games in his room being set as an example of a successful man. Or the guy who lives in a wooden hut and catches fish for a living. Or the woman who lives in a trailer and plays cards with her friends every day. Maybe they've been commended by individuals who approve of these things, but never by society as a whole.

It's always the guy who made his business work, who became rich from a kick-starter project, who was able to prosper financially through hard and honest work that is successful and accepted as such by all of society.

You're all right. Happiness is subjective. But let's no pretend that society promotes this in any way. Let's not pretend that any of us have been truly encouraged to do what we want apart from our family and closest friends.

What you're quoting as success is what you want success to be, not what it currently is.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Mar 21, 2015,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
The beauty of all of this is that I'm able to read an entire thread about people defining success as some sort of personal thing. We define it as people having everything they want, people doing what they want, people being happy basically.

And yet I've never seen a guy who plays video games in his room being set as an example of a successful man. Or the guy who lives in a wooden hut and catches fish for a living. Or the woman who lives in a trailer and plays cards with her friends every day. Maybe they've been commended by individuals who approve of these things, but never by society as a whole.

It's always the guy who made his business work, who became rich from a kick-starter project, who was able to prosper financially through hard and honest work that is successful and accepted as such by all of society.

You're all right. Happiness is subjective. But let's no pretend that society promotes this in any way. Let's not pretend that any of us have been truly encouraged to do what we want apart from our family and closest friends.

What you're quoting as success is what you want success to be, not what it currently is.

To be fair, society is a bit of a dick and deserve a nice hard kick in the balls.
Quote by ultimate-slash
To be fair, society is a bit of a dick and deserve a nice hard kick in the balls.

I agree. But who's gonna do the kicking if not you and me.

We can't distance ourselves from society like it's some third party that tells us what to do. We are society. It raises us and molds us into what we are. It makes us into mirror images of itself with varying degrees of success.

If society is fvcked up, we're fvcked up.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Mar 21, 2015,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I agree. But who's gonna do the kicking if not you and me.

We can make a start by kicking ourselves in the balls.
Set a good example and all that.

But yeah, society is only as good as we deserve really. If we collectively **** up, then society is ****ed up. Which in turn ****s up people entering it. Which in turn ****s up society.

All in all, a lot of ****ing up.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Mar 21, 2015,
Quote by ultimate-slash
We can make a start by kicking ourselves in the balls.
Set a good example and all that.

My body is ready.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Can I kick you in the balls?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Certainly. I am willing to PM you my address if you agree to cover the costs of travel on your own.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by GuitarGod_92

next question hmu

You're correct about capitalism being a major force that, unfortunately, rules with an iron fist, but you need to grow up and reevaluate how you think if you honestly believe success has anything to do with money/material possessions, let alone being entirely based on them.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
It's not about simply having a certain amount of money. It's more about being able to provide for yourself and the ones you love.

Regarding "society":
I have found that my goals and ambitions rarely line up with society's definition of success (if you'll pardon me sounding pretentious). Getting my degree or starting my first job didn't feel like an achievement to me. However, when I built my first guitar, I felt more proud than I ever had. It was something I did by choice, rather than because it was expected of me, and I think that gives it value.

Society only cares about what service you provide to it, that's why it encourages you to work hard.

But then I am also lazy and unemployed so my opinions on success don't matter. Maybe I am confusing success with personal happiness.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 21, 2015,
Page 1 of 2