Page 1 of 2
I saw the Undercover Boss episode and there was talk of shifting production to China. They closed the door on many of their American factories before the episode started and workers weren't faithful that their factory would operate for much longer. At the end of the episode, they even shut down the factory that was highlighted. And now, none of the amps on their site say made in the USA anymore. So are they completely ending their USA-made amps?
Don't know if that's true but it sucks if it is. In my opinion, our country is digging its own grave moving everything overseas. But I'm guilty of buying miC stuff too I guess. We've got to stop it...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
no they still make amps in the US. the 6505 heads and other higher end ones are still made here. the 6505+ combo, Valvekings and the solid state ones are made over seas.
6505 1x12, and the solid states are MIC. Some of their higher end tube amps are still Made in US.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Yeah they still have MIA amps and products, but they have been producing more MIC amps lately
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KailM
Don't know if that's true but it sucks if it is. In my opinion, our country is digging its own grave moving everything overseas. But I'm guilty of buying miC stuff too I guess. We've got to stop it...

It's not "our country." It's not a political thing. It's a whole lot of manufacturers who have simply found it easier and more profitable to be importers instead. Where we have a whole lot of commodity items, people will buy from the source that produces the lowest possible per-unit overall cost. For all of that there ARE manufacturers who've decided to build new factories in the US, including Honda. And what's really interesting is that a significant amount of what Honda builds in this country is actually for EXPORT, both back to Japan and to other countries.

The lesson here has nothing to do with flag waving, but everything to do with the ability of Honda to find a way to produce cars in Canada, Mexico and the US at a profit, and the inability of Peavey to *think* their way into a better situation.

All Peavey amps will be built in China shortly. Given the number of disgruntled employees there were at the Meridian plant, you may get a better amp if you wait for the Chinese version.

There's a "building for lease" sign on the location on Sunset in Hollywood where they filmed the Undercover Boss segment that featured mini-concerts by random bands.
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 21, 2015,
^ no they won't. There will always be a market for amps made in USA and other countries. The whole it's cheap because it was MIC is going away fast. If you want quality you will pay higher costs regardless of MIA or MIC. Besides India is the new build it "cheap" up and comer.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ no they won't. There will always be a market for amps made in USA and other countries.

There may be, but it won't be a big one. It's a bit like saying there will always be a market for rotary dial land line phones.

Check with NAMM and get the marketing data for manufacturing of amps sold in the US. It's been several years now that the company with the largest market share for amp sales has been Line 6. And where do you think Fender amps are produced (I'm not sure, actually, but I know that as of a couple of years ago, a large run of an important Fender amp line was produced in Mexico)?
Quote by dspellman
It's not "our country." It's not a political thing. It's a whole lot of manufacturers who have simply found it easier and more profitable to be importers instead. Where we have a whole lot of commodity items, people will buy from the source that produces the lowest possible per-unit overall cost. For all of that there ARE manufacturers who've decided to build new factories in the US, including Honda. And what's really interesting is that a significant amount of what Honda builds in this country is actually for EXPORT, both back to Japan and to other countries.

The lesson here has nothing to do with flag waving, but everything to do with the ability of Honda to find a way to produce cars in Canada, Mexico and the US at a profit, and the inability of Peavey to *think* their way into a better situation.

All Peavey amps will be built in China shortly. Given the number of disgruntled employees there were at the Meridian plant, you may get a better amp if you wait for the Chinese version.

There's a "building for lease" sign on the location on Sunset in Hollywood where they filmed the Undercover Boss segment that featured mini-concerts by random bands.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I'm a "glass is half-full" kind of guy -- half-full of piss.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 21, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
There may be, but it won't be a big one. It's a bit like saying there will always be a market for rotary dial land line phones.

Check with NAMM and get the marketing data for manufacturing of amps sold in the US. It's been several years now that the company with the largest market share for amp sales has been Line 6. And where do you think Fender amps are produced (I'm not sure, actually, but I know that as of a couple of years ago, a large run of an important Fender amp line was produced in Mexico)?

not a good analogy. rotary tech has been replaced and is no longer compatible with current US phone systems. amps while in many cases is technically outdated tech still works fine with guitars. yes some fender amps are made in mexico but not all of them. as for Line 6 well they can be found damn near anywhee and are way cheaper. if you seperated the sales of the high end amps they make from the rest i doubt they'd come near fender or peavey for similar priced amps.
Quote by monwobobbo
not a good analogy. rotary tech has been replaced and is no longer compatible with current US phone systems. amps while in many cases is technically outdated tech still works fine with guitars. yes some fender amps are made in mexico but not all of them. as for Line 6 well they can be found damn near anywhee and are way cheaper. if you seperated the sales of the high end amps they make from the rest i doubt they'd come near fender or peavey for similar priced amps.

You can still use a rotary phone, my grandmother has one and it still works just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can still use a rotary phone, my grandmother has one and it still works just fine

not in my areaas far as i know but hey then i guess there still is a potential market for rotary then
Rotary phones still work fine for most applications, but for those times when you are asked to "Please press _______", thy may not work so well. At least, that's how I understand it
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by monwobobbo
not in my areaas far as i know but hey then i guess there still is a potential market for rotary then

well here in FL they will still work and most people that do have them only use them when the power has been knocked out during storms.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ no they won't. There will always be a market for amps made in USA and other countries. The whole it's cheap because it was MIC is going away fast. If you want quality you will pay higher costs regardless of MIA or MIC. Besides India is the new build it "cheap" up and comer.

Peavey was never quality though. They were for the musician on a budget. They had a good place up until recently. Now, the market is filled with similar quality amps from other countries. So Peavey isn't selling as many amps as before due to competition and they're not making as much as their competitors on amp sales because American Peaveys are more expensive to make.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Peavey was never quality though. They were for the musician on a budget. They had a good place up until recently. Now, the market is filled with similar quality amps from other countries. So Peavey isn't selling as many amps as before due to competition and they're not making as much as their competitors on amp sales because American Peaveys are more expensive to make.

can't agree that Peavey was never quality. that's exactly what they built there rep on. they made qualty affordable gear. kinda doubt peavey is suffering to much as they have one of the hottest amps in metal these days. there US made amps are still cheaper than much of the competition in the higher end amp market.
Quote by JELIFISH19

That's just silly, Peavey amps have a longstanding reputation as being near-bulletproof.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Cheap and reliable. Not cheap and great tone. And that puts it in line with all of the other Chinese amps that are in that price bracket right now. And Peavey is struggling right now. I think they only have one US factory left.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Cheap and reliable. Not cheap and great tone. And that puts it in line with all of the other Chinese amps that are in that price bracket right now. And Peavey is struggling right now. I think they only have one US factory left.

I respect that that is your opinion, even if I think that it's utter nonsense.
Charles Darwin
Peavey are also among the most popular amps in modern metal (and it's not like big time studios or touring musicians need to be on a budget) and the Nashville series has been the industry standard for steel guitar for the last two decades.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
It's been my understanding that they're moving stuff overseas, a bit at a time. I've got a Classic 30 and a Delta Blues in my store right now, that are both MIA, but we've had them since a few months before the new year. My boss has told me that by the time we sell those and get them back in, the new ones will be Chinese.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
wow while Peavey isn't as well known as Fender or Marshall for great tone they certainly have had some winning amps over the years. the 5150 / 6505 is definitely considered to have great tone by many modern metal bands and producers of that genre. maybe not your thing but that's no reason to say they don't have good tone.
But they are basically a budget SLO. Compared to an actual SLO they're pretty mediocre really, they're just LOTS cheaper.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
But they are basically a budget SLO. Compared to an actual SLO they're pretty mediocre really, they're just LOTS cheaper.

I can't agree with that, they are used by a lot of bands that could easily afford Soldano's and choose not to. As you're fond of saying, horses for courses.
Charles Darwin
Yeah they don't sound the same anyways. There are quite a few amps that have the SLO preamp, without the iron and power amp though it really doesn't sound close.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
And a lot of those people use things that can be replaced easily when abroad. 6505's are everywhere and are very cheap. SLO's, not so much.
And also, don't forget the sheeple factor.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And a lot of those people use things that can be replaced easily when abroad. 6505's are everywhere and are very cheap. SLO's, not so much.

Yeah, that makes sense because they couldn't just buy 2...or 3...

Also, aren't SLO'S like Rolls Royces, they simply do not break...
Charles Darwin
Roadies can break anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

commonly used in the studio to. now i understand the live thing and what you say is certainly correct but the 6505 gets plenty of studio use. may not be your fav which is fine but c'mon. seems like being comparitively inexpensive is being held against them. not saying that Peavey is the greatest tone wise but i do think they can hold there own. normally i'd defer to you when it comes to amps but this time can't agree. are ther better amps out there sure.
I'm not saying that they sound bad but the main reason to buy a 6505 over a SLO is simply cost and you know it.
I recommend 6505's regularly but not to people with $5k to spend. They're a budget amp, a good budget amp, sure - but a budget amp nonetheless.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 21, 2015,
Quote by Cathbard
I'm not saying that they sound bad but the main reason to buy a 6505 over a SLO is simply cost and you know it.

Obviously. Why would you pay $11 for a bar of fancy soap when a $3 bar will clean your hands just as well?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
You'd do it if you had $11 to spare and it was better by the same amount as a SLO is better than a 6505.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I recommend 6505's regularly but not to people with $5k to spend. They're a budget amp, a good budget amp, sure - but a budget amp nonetheless.

ok that's fair. i'd never say that any Peavey is a tone monster and can compete with some of the boutique amps out there. not really the original point here though. i thought the discussion was that Peavey amps did have decent tone (well some of them at least) despite being less expensive than others.
I was simply responding to what you said. I was saying that it isn't because they have great tone but rather, great tone for the money. They are hard to beat for the money but they aren't hard to beat if you have more money to spend.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I just don't think I'd take an SLO over 6505 if I wanted the tones that a 6505 is known for. An SLO just isn't the amp for that, regardless of how good it sounds for some things. An Engl? Sure. A Mesa? Possibly. But I think the 6505 does what it does better than just about anything else, and Matt and Derek, who both can and have had much more expensive amps, can still agree that there is something special about the 6505.

Cath I get what you're saying, it is a working mans amp and there is better, but it really hits the modern metal tone right on the head.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I don't know, I've always thought the 6505 was simply a poor man's SLO. The SLO is what they based it on after all. Back to back, the SLO owns it badly - but who has $5k to spend on an amp?

Edit: I could be biased though. The SLO is my dream amp. All I use these days in my RM100 is the SLO module but that's just because the SLO module cost $300, not $5k.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 21, 2015,
Quote by Cathbard
I don't know, I've always thought the 6505 was simply a poor man's SLO. The SLO is what they based it on after all. Back to back, the SLO owns it badly - but who has $5k to spend on an amp?

this may be true but i really do think that many bands and producers pick the 6505 because it does have the tone that is wanted. sure i can see that a band that has had some local success would use them but once you make it to the "big time" why continue if they didn't cut it. sure amps like the Valveking are fine for playing bars but you don't really see them in bigger venues and certainly never hear "oh yeah i recorded all my guitar parts using one" for the big album. you do hear that alot for the 6505. i understand what you are saying but obviously there are those who really do like the tone.
And some people like Valvestates. That doesn't make them a good amp, it just means that some people are ****ed in the head.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911

Also, aren't SLO'S like Rolls Royces, they simply do not break...

You've obviously never owned a Rolls Royce. They're less likely to break NOW (they're owned by, who, BMW?), but...
Page 1 of 2