Hi, I'm not yet at the "got money and gonna rush to the store in 5 minutes" stage, but rather at the "earlier stages" of looking at a new amp. I'm 100% "ready" (in terms of budget as well as other things) for a tube amp, and since I really like their sound and dynamics, I've decided that's where I'll go.

I've seen quite a few that could potentially be what I'm looking for, but I honestly have no idea where to start as the choice is quite huge - so I'd like to simply ask which amps would you recommend as worth looking at, and I'd be very grateful for suggestions.

Budget: somewhere around 500-600 euro/650-800 dollars (would rather not touch the higher end of this price unless there's something really uber awesome). In case of amps, used are fine to me.
What do I want from it:
- two channels (distorted and clean) are a must. However, any additional options (more channels, boosts, etc.) are cool.
- I'm generally more picky about my "heavy" tone than anything else. Basically I look for something that can sound heavy and massive but also clear and articulate even with 7-string (so not gain-at-11 chainsaw massacre). For a reference point, John Petrucci has always been my absolute favourite in terms of heavy tone, but I also love the tone that Periphery uses (especially on Juggernaut, oh god), as well as recent Decapitated. Might possibly be labeled as "modern progressive/technical metal tone".
- however, I'd also like a nice clean channel, as I do use it quite a bit (especially with delay/reverb and such). As I said, I'm more picky about the distorted channel, but I'd like the cleans to be at least "nice".
- so basically I'm into progressive metal-ish things, and looking for an amp that can sound heavy and massive, but would also be very versatile overall. I don't need any in-built effects though, I can handle that with pedals.
- [forgot to add] don't need it to be super-loud, looking to use it mostly at home for now (and for recording), but also would like it to be able to handle a band rehearsal or a small gig. Not sure how much W is enough in case of a tube amp.

If that helps in any way, my guitars are Schecter C-1 Classic and Schecter Demon 7. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions in this price range, and if there's any more information that could help, ask away.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by TheLiberation at Mar 21, 2015,
Hi there.

Id recommend the Laney Ironheart 30watt combo.
I see it can be had for 695 Euro new from thomann, I know its over your budget but you might get it for cheaper elsewhere or if you go secondhand.

I recommend you this as its got 3 channels, rhythm, lead and clean, its 30 watts and a 1x12 so its not too loud XD and its a nice size.
The tones are really good and the eq excelent imho, it utilizes push pull eq knobs for more tonal shaping options.
The clean channel is really clean! It stays clean! nothing like a peavey 5150, not that that amp is bad at all! Just saying if you want cleans that dont break up easily then this amp had it.
The gan channels are very similar imho, rhythm has a bit less gain than lead, both channels wil go from blues to metal to anything really.
I feel the amp sounds and works best for me with a OD pedal hitting the front, without a bosst it also sounds killer but if you really wana get that nice tight saturated tone then boosting the amp, and i find every amp i play sounds so much better when boosted with a OD, is the way to go!
The amp does have a "attenuater" you can go from 1 watt to 30 watts, but its sounds better if you just keep that at max!
I think you will be really satisfied with this amp.

Just my 2c!

Im sure you will get some more options and opinions from other members, what ever you get I hope ull enjoy it!
Last edited by belleraphon at Mar 21, 2015,
The Laney IRT is fantastic. you can get yourself a Jet City Jca22h and a Harley Benon 2x12 vintage.
The speakers are two vintage 30's by celsetion(standard for metal).
The Head is all tube, 22 watts, with an OD it can go death metal. Marshall-y type sound.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Mar 21, 2015,
Quote by Fryderyczek
The Laney IRT is fantastic. you can get yourself a Jet City Jca22h and a Harley Benon 2x12 vintage.
The speakers are two vintage 30's by celsetion(standard for metal).
The Head is all tube, 22 watts, with an OD it can go death metal. Marshall-y type sound.

IMO from owning a 22H you'd need a boost to get there. However the setup is a great starting point.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I always tell people to check out the Carvin V3 Micro combo. It goes from 50 to 25 all the way down to 7 watts of power. It has 3 channels, built in reverb, and can easily go from super clean all the way to crazy Distortion. It is light and easy to move around. I always tell people that the clips online sound about half as good as it actually sounds.
Quote by JosephFeagin8
I always tell people to check out the Carvin V3 Micro combo. It goes from 50 to 25 all the way down to 7 watts of power. It has 3 channels, built in reverb, and can easily go from super clean all the way to crazy Distortion. It is light and easy to move around. I always tell people that the clips online sound about half as good as it actually sounds.

carvin isn't the most cost effective. he is in europe.

i would look for a good deal on a jet city 50 combo. IIRC one is higher gain than the other, so that is what you would want.

and you would want an OD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks a lot for the replies. I have already heard good things about the Laney Ironheart before, for now I've found that specifically the IRT60-212 version is an option for me, and I'm definitely going to look into it.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions on the Randall RD40C? It's in a similar price and seems interesting (sounded very nice after taking a short listen through some demos) and it seems to get good reviews as well.

And yeah, I'm taking into account I might want an overdrive pedal.
i would take the laney over the randall.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
That Randall is great. The cleans are really pretty too. Shared EQ so if that floats tour boat go for it. This is a "death metal without a boost" amp.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by TheLiberation
Thanks a lot for the replies. I have already heard good things about the Laney Ironheart before, for now I've found that specifically the IRT60-212 version is an option for me, and I'm definitely going to look into it.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions on the Randall RD40C? It's in a similar price and seems interesting (sounded very nice after taking a short listen through some demos) and it seems to get good reviews as well.

And yeah, I'm taking into account I might want an overdrive pedal.

Ive got the 212, im very happy with it and I think you would be too, ive got a randall as well but a RG100 G3, its pretty much metal, Randall to me sounds like metal and does death metal easily, but if you want to jam say blues or lower gain stuff I find the randall not so good, just like their customer support XD
Ive dont know about all the models but just keep that in mind.

Oh yeah man do get a boost dude!
Last edited by belleraphon at Mar 23, 2015,
Mesa DC-5/50 Cal
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Yeah it seems so far that the Laney and the Randall are the most interesting options from what I've found so far. Each has a slight basic advantage, the Laney seems to indeed have more sophisticated controls, but the Randall is simply smaller and lighter (I'm pretty sure 40W will be more than enough either way). I was wondering about the cleans on the Randall as I know their amps are mostly associated with full destruction mode, and what I heard sounded very pleasant.

It looks like I may have a chance to try both (although it will be a bit of an adventure ), so I think I'll do that. I'll keep looking though, thanks a lot for the answers. (Still open for more suggestions.)

Quote by Badmotorfingers
Mesa DC-5/50 Cal

Actually Mesa Boogie was the first company that came to my mind, being a proper Petrucci fanboy, but their cheapest amp I can find in any store available to me is twice my budget. I'll definitely take a look if I find it anywhere though.
They are actually some of the lowest priced Mesas, though used of course. They don't make them any more.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?