Hey, so I have been looking at ESP lately and I am confused. I asked over at the ESP forum but got no replies, so I figured I would ask here hoping someone would know..

So, I am hoping to get good answers, not someone saying "those suck" My question here is what are the differences between the USA eclipse and the Original eclipse MIJ?

I see from pictures online that the USA is neck thru, countered heel, full thickness, and has a super nice case. The Japan model appears to be set neck, thin body, LP style heel..

So, from what I am seeing it looks like the USA guitar is the better one, is this right? Why in the world is ESP charging $1000 more for the Japanese model? What makes that guitar worth 5 grand?

Any help here is appreciated, I was thinking I would try to get one of the originals but then I saw the USA and it looks like it's better in every way, someone explain this to me? Is it better quality from Japan? Better woods?
ESP is doing some weird stuff to its line up and I will try my best to explain this. So ESP USA is supposed to be on par with the MIJ in terms of quality. However ESP decided to make the ESP name highly exclusive like PRS private reserve almost, and with this came the drastic price changes and the E-ii line up. Very few people have tried the USA ESP guitars so it's going to be very hard to find information about these. Like I said though, they should be on par with the ESP custom shop. The USA models also offer different specs like neck thru eclipses and slightly different versions of other ESPs like an M-iii.

I'm just going to say that I would think that the USA is supposed to be on par with its MIJ counter part and that the only reason the MIJ ESP cost more is because it was made in the "original" custom shop in japan.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
I just played a bunch of ESPs (Original, USA, and E-II). Let me give you a rundown.

The Originals and USAs are more or less on par (par being absolutely ****ing amazing) with each other. These are masterbuilt instruments that are superbly well made of very good wood and components. They're more or less on par qualitywise with Ibanez J-Customs or PRS Core models or similarly priced instruments.

The E-IIs are a big step up from LTD Deluxes but are still under the USAs and Originals by quite a bit. They're more or less on par if not a bit better than Ibanez Prestiges, in my opinion a bit better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
USA lol.

stahp.

ESP = Japan or GTFO
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
When I saw X Japan, it looked like Sugizo has some RG type guitar based off the E-II, which is weird because he's...from Japan.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by gregs1020
USA lol.

stahp.

ESP = Japan or GTFO

Yup. That decision really pissed me off. MIJ or nothing.
ESP RZK-1 Platinum Silver(x2)
ESP RZK-I Custom Shop Platinum Silver
ESP RZK-1 Black
ESP RZK-1 Olympic White
ESP RZK-1 Burnt
ESP RZK-II Burnt
ESP 901 See Through Red
ESP Eclipse I CTM Vintage Black
LTD EC 1000 Black Cherry
LTD EC 50 Black
Great thread. ESP USA out of my price range. Been looking at the E-II for a long time and wondering if it is worth it.
Quote by ESPRZKSpieler
Yup. That decision really pissed me off. MIJ or nothing.

ESP used to have a custom shop on 48th street NYC back in the day . I'm guessing they're trying to bring back a full blows USA custom shop again.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Tama Drums/ Sabian
Today I think I answered my own question. I like the Japan guitar because of the prestige of ESP, I like the USA guitar because it's like a better built Les Paul, so what am I going to do? Buy a Navigator, that's what! Gibson spec, ESP custom shop quality, and less money than even the USA ESP, seems like a no brainer to me.
Found them, no clue what these are, looks like a mix between an EII Horizon and an M series. Sugizo already has a ridiculously long list of signatures, so it could be a yet to be released sig

Cry yourself to ash
Last edited by Vampire_State at Mar 27, 2015,
Well, it took me months but FINALLY I have done it! Put in my special order and waited (5 weeks) and today was the day! I went with the Japanese model.

Eclipse original series CTM, see through black. This guitar is beautiful and absolutely perfect in every way. I have never played a guitar that sounded,felt, and played this well. It is truly unbelievable how they got so much amazing into one guitar.

Very nice!!! We need more pics
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Tama Drums/ Sabian
Yeah dawg! HNGD!
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by Ippon
Sexy! What amp are you abusing? Enjoy!

btw, you going with the same hairstyle?

JVM410H for the band and a YJM100 for the house.
Nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
May I ask where you purchased it? I am very confused on where to buy an ESP original like the one you bought. There are a few online but most companies use stock photos. Another company has the same guitar listed twice and calls one new and the other used but clearly its the same one.
I am thinking about purchasing one but having trouble finding the right dealer.
Quote by Vampire_State
Found them, no clue what these are, looks like a mix between an EII Horizon and an M series. Sugizo already has a ridiculously long list of signatures, so it could be a yet to be released sig

Sakaru that.

I want one of the Sakito sig guitars.

I think it would look cute on me.
Quote by dspellman
Sakaru that.

Looks even more gay than the Prince guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dspellman
Sakaru that.

I have it, and it is awesome.
Attachments:
Guitars.jpg
Quote by guitoorbenchi
I have it, and it is awesome.

There were supposedly two versions of it made; one with a carved top, one with a flat top, with the carved top significantly more expensive. The carved top is on my short list.

I guess "awesome" sums up your experience with it?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Looks even more gay than the Prince guitar.

I promise not to wear purple or lace anywhere near it.
Quote by dspellman
I promise not to wear purple or lace anywhere near it.

Hey, at least Prince can shred on a guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Shentis

I know it has been forever since you posted this question and I JUST saw it. You may have already gotten it figured out but I'll still answer anyway. I got mine from Music n more in North Carolina. I know the manager from another forum and he ordered it for me. Otherwise I would check ebay for retailers who have them. I know guitar center had some for a while, maybe sweet water also. They are definately hard to come across.
Gibson Les Paul custom
Ibanez RG1570
Schecter KM7
Mesa Boogie triple rectifier
Rectifier 2x12"
Wow this is old, but I was right, they were a yet to be seen signature series

...still not as cool as the Eclipse S-V

Cry yourself to ash
Quote by dspellman
Sakaru that.