Hello, so I play a lot of metal and hard rock, and what I've noticed is that I kind of have my hand slanted a bit to hold the neck a lot of times. This is because I have to make long trenches, so bending it to the left a little to reach that fifth fret sort of makes sense. Is that a proper technique?

Also, should your hand never touch the bottom portion of the neck when playing? I don't hold the neck with my palms and in a grip or anything, but I've noticed that I touch the bottom part of the neck, and I remember Justin Guitar saying that you shouldn't and that your hand should be fully curled. Problem with that is that I can't make long stretches.

And finally, I've been incorporating my pinky into more of my songs since I've rarely used it up to this point, and I can never hit a note with my pinky by the tip. I usually miss/end up barring the note with my pinky. Any advice? I always bar a note with my pinky, and I get a lot of buzzing because of it.
Can't really get down to the problem. It would just be better if you posted a video showing what you think you're doing incorrectly.

Here's a video that I found that explains the thumb placement problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9auuLdXfvyI

^^^^

I can use both the placement techniques very well using the thumb behind the neck, and the thumb over the neck. I tend to use the thumb over the neck technique more because it helps with bends, and vibrato more. I also like to use (E) Shape barre chords with the thumb holding the root note of the chord i'm playing. It depends on a lot of things, and what styles you mostly play. A lot of classical guitarist use the thumb behind the neck method, but it's whatever best suits your needs.

About the pinky just keep up with the finger independence exercises. Having control over your pinky doesn't happen over night especially if you've barely used it up until now. It takes a while to build dexterity, and strength in your pinky finger.
Last edited by Black_devils at Mar 21, 2015,
yeah, best to learn both ways depending on what you play. I notice the behind neck guys shred really great but the bends and Vib suck ass, most really good players like satch/vai etc change between often, depending on what they're playing
Quote by Tempoe
yeah, best to learn both ways depending on what you play. I notice the behind neck guys shred really great but the bends and Vib suck ass, most really good players like satch/vai etc change between often, depending on what they're playing

yeah you really have to change the position depending on what you are doing. classical style (thumb behind neck) is great for scaler runs and does lend tself to shredding. bends is the rock and roll (thumb over neck) position for maximum control. i nove my thumb around a fair amount when playing. takes practice and eventually you'll just do it without thinking.
Just watch videos of Guthrie Govan playing and take some cues on which grip to use for what. Ya'll would be surprised with what you can achieve even with just thumb-behind-the-neck
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises