I have been playing for last six months and I am at a point where in I can listen to songs of my favorite artists and figure it out by ear. I can also play the right scale to the right bunch of chords and play in key most of the times. One thing I lack is repertoire of songs. I have really learned much songs so I am just wondering when is the right time to look out for fellow musicians to form a band with. I mean this is all I wanna do but everyone like the guitar teacher I met for one day says I should know 20 songs all they way through before forming a band.
I recommend starting on Tuesday.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I recommend starting on Tuesday.

But Tuesday is my laundry day
When you go to the laundromat, ask the owner if you can put up fliers.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
When you go to the laundromat, ask the owner if you can put up fliers.

I don't know if my flier saying looking for musicians to jam with for a metal band would go well with the usual weekend bake sale fliers there .

Thanks though. I will start looking for fellow musicians ASAP
You never know. Still, get to it right away. You're probably not at the point where you are ready to play in a band but you should certainly look for another guitarist or bassist to play with. Nothing improves your ability to play well with other musicians than actually playing with other musicians.
Learning 20 songs all the way through is a pretty achievable goal, if you have a firm grasp on chords (ignore the solos for now).

I'd just try jamming with other people now. You'll figure out pretty quickly what you need to learn to get better.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah I agree with these guys. Find some other musicians to jam with for fun. You'll learn a lot, be inspired to practice a lot more, and have a great time. Six months is probably too early to get in an actual band, but jamming with others is a great first step.
Quote by sundar334
I have been playing for last six months and I am at a point where in I can listen to songs of my favorite artists and figure it out by ear. I can also play the right scale to the right bunch of chords and play in key most of the times. One thing I lack is repertoire of songs. I have really learned much songs so I am just wondering when is the right time to look out for fellow musicians to form a band with. I mean this is all I wanna do but everyone like the guitar teacher I met for one day says I should know 20 songs all they way through before forming a band.

Hey Sundar, sounds like you already have a natural ear, that's a big advantage when jamming with others, yeah like everyone else here is suggesting, if you just get out there and just mingle with others you'll learn heaps of different ideas from them. There's always someone who knows how to play a song you like but you hadn't yet learnt it, and vice versa. I would say NOT to be too concerned about learning whole songs *before* you jam with others, they will often let you know what they'll want from you and from your self description "can play the right scale to the right bunch of chords" then I'd say you're ready to start jamming with others. Sometimes it's cool when it's just you and another guitarist and what was suppose to be a jam session, turns out to be a lesson for the both of you, learning new songs, trading riffs, licks, ideas and techniques etc.

TIP: when jamming with new people, as soon as you're not playing anything (did I here you say you were into metal?), either turn your volume off, (or right down if you think you have a cool idea worth adding, or exploring) and if what you've got is any good, the others WILL hear it! (you'll notice the experienced do this almost automatically). I know sounds a little silly, but there's nothing worse than sitting in on a jam session where the song ends and everyone's either fighting to be heard b'coz they think they're on to something, or worse... think they're feed back, whammy dive, squeal... whatever, is such a fitting end to every song... yes there are plenty of moments where it is_ valid \m/ but usually once you lot are familiar with playing together a while.

Less can often equal More (yep even in metal) haha!!
Slayer might be a full-on offensive assault to the senses in concert, but during the writing, recording, studio sessions, I bet there's a lot more quieter spots, where discussing new ideas, or debating adjustments, or whatever? automatically becomes second nature.
Quote by sundar334

Your teacher's full of it.

For one thing, what if you wanted to start a band that played originals? You literally couldn't form a band if that was the case.

You should start a band when you want to. Find musicians who are either at your level or don't mind playing with someone at your level and have fun.

I joined my first band a year and a half ago without really knowing a huge amount about bass (I'm the bassist! Surprise!) and without knowing ANY of the songs in their repertoire. I learned one for the audition and picked up the rest after that.
Quote by sundar334

As soon as possible. Things you will learn in a band are priceless and you'll never be able to learn them on your own in your bedroom. just go out and find the best musicians you can find. The better they are, the faster you'll progress.