Page 1 of 2
So, basically the idea of this is to collect stuff that is common in your country but that might seem strange/is unknown to people who live elsewhere.

My advice would be to put longer stuff in spoilers, so that one can still find his way through this. I'm gonna start:
In Austria, there is a tradition called 'Krampus'. If you're too lazy to read through this you might search for 'Christoph Waltz explains Krampus' on youtube. You also might read up on Wikipedia about it.

Basically the idea is that he (or they as mostly they appear as groups) is visiting children as a companion of Saint Nicholas on the 6th of December. While Saint Nicholas rewards good children with gifts, Krampus punishes bad children by putting them into a sack and slugging them with a rod (This earlier in history until about fifty years ago really was the case, it is not commonly practised now, at least I hope so).

Another part of this tradition is called 'Perchtenlauf' which basically means that similarly dressed up men run through a village with all kinds of bells to chase away bad spirit (the main difference between 'Perchten' and 'Krampus' is that 'Krampus' is exclusivly on the 6th of december, while 'Perchten' also do that later in the year (I guess because it was so much fun )).

Now after reading this, you probably want to know what a Krampus looks like. Just to make clear the difference here is a picture of an elf first.

And now here is a picture of 'Krampus':

This is how catholicism works: Getting their obedience by inventing figures to scare them to death as children.

I guess this needs no further comment; Ladies and Gentleman, the 'Schuhplattler'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRsqZL7u9Ug

Just a quick description:
-) from the age of 6-10:

'Volksschule' which is the same for everybody.

-) from 10 to 14 either

-)'Hauptschule' which differentiates in 3 levels in the main subjectes (German, English, maths), into which you are place according to your performance OR
-)'Gymnasium' in which EXACTLY the same is being taught, but there are no levels and you need to make a test before entering this school.

-)From the age of 14 to 18/19 either

-)'Polytechnical school', which is one year and afterwards you work at a company for three years, spending 10 weeks each year in a school for that specific job. OR
-)'Gymnasium' which is the continuation of the previous mentioned Gymnasium and pretty much equals High School, being 4 years long. OR
-)'BHS' which is 5 years long and offers an education towards a certain field of jobs (e.g. engineering), but not inside of of a company, but a school. You finish it with the same education (or higher) education as 'Polytechnic School (including the working parts)' AND 'Gymnasium' taken together.

"If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Lewis Carroll
Quote by angusfan16
Why do Chinese people have blurry dongs

I don't know, probably has something to do with their genes.
"If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Lewis Carroll
Quote by pb15994
I don't know, probably has something to do with their jeans.

ftfy
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
I don't know, probably has something to do with your screen.

ftfy
Lewis Carroll
Quote by pb15994
I desperately want my thread to be popular

ftfy
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
ftfy

I knew you'd understand the subtext.
Lewis Carroll
There's an easter tradition in the Czech Republic which imo might seem weird for an outsider. Basically men are supposed to twine several twigs together to make a thick, "whip-like" thing that looks like this

There isn't a word for it in english, in czech it's called "pomlázka" which roughly means "something that makes you younger".

and whip all women's asses in their family or neighbourhood with it while singing traditional songs. Then the women are supposed to give them eggs or shots of booze as a reward. The whipping is a ritual which allegedly helps the women stay healthy. It's a tradition that on the easter monday morning, guys all around the country set out to whip every woman's ass in their village while getting massivelly drunk as a reward.
Last edited by Zordon at Mar 22, 2015,
Quote by Zordon
It's a tradition that on the easter monday morning, guys all around the country set out to whip every woman's ass in their village while getting massivelly drunk as a reward.

Sounds fun. Hadn't heard of that before and I guess we don't have something similar here.

But seriously though, pretty much all easter customs that exist are rather strange and deeply Freudian when you think of it.
An easter fire might not seem strange by itself, but where I live, they spent 5 weeks(!) to build it into the shape of a vase just to burn it afterwards.

Also the tradition of May poles is a little strange when you think of the fact that they are phallic symbols and till the 1950s the adolescents of one village had to watch for it at night because the adolescents of another village would come and saw it down. Sounds a bit like penis envy to me.
Lewis Carroll
I'd like to know why Americans love guns so much.

Idk what our weird British traditions are.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Zordon
There's an easter tradition in the Czech Republic which imo might seem weird for an outsider. Basically men are supposed to twine several twigs together to make a thick, "whip-like" thing that looks like this

There isn't a word for it in english, in czech it's called "pomlázka" which roughly means "something that makes you younger".

and whip all women's asses in their family or neighbourhood with it while singing traditional songs. Then the women are supposed to give them eggs or shots of booze as a reward. The whipping is a ritual which allegedly helps the women stay healthy. It's a tradition that on the easter monday morning, guys all around the country set out to whip every woman's ass in their village while getting massivelly drunk as a reward.

This sounds like a hot tradition

And idk what American traditions would be, like Thanksgiving or Black Friday or something I guess?
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by EndTheRapture51

Probably annually burning the statue of a man who was executed for a failed terror attack 410 years ago. Or being posh.
Lewis Carroll
Quote by pb15994
Probably annually burning the statue of a man who was executed for a failed terror attack 410 years ago. Or being posh.

Oh yeah that one is pretty weird.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Oh yeah that one is pretty weird.

That might be a good tradition for Americans to borrow; they could annually gun down a statue of Osama Bin Laden.
Lewis Carroll
We also tend to shut down the entire country when there's a hint of snow which must be a novelty for people in Canada or Norway.

Quote by EndTheRapture51

Here's one- why is queuing etiquette so important to you?
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
Here's one- why is queuing etiquette so important to you?

I don't even know how to explain this because it's just so basic.

If you got there first, you have the right to be served first because you've spent the most amount of time there...there's nothing more basic than that, it's like the first law of human interaction.

Queue cutters should be hung.

I'm American and we have a tradition of winning wars for Europeans and being richer than them as well.
Check out my band Disturbed
In Australia we have Australia day where it is not uncommon to only eat barbecued foodstuffs as main meals for the entire day.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by EndTheRapture51

If you got there first, you have the right to be served first because you've spent the most amount of time there...there's nothing more basic than that, it's like the first law of human interaction.

Okay, yeah, but why does it upset you to that extent? I mean, it's not really culturally exclusive to feel angry at a person who skips the queue but apparently someone who violates this social contract will cause an uproar amongst people who are known for their stiff upper lips and crooked teeth.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Often, if someone behind me in line has fewer items than I, or is elderly, I will let them go ahead of me in a queue.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Cutting in line makes you an asshole in the entire world, not just britain
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
as a native american i feel i should contribute here:

1. My tribe doesnt whistle after dark. The legend goes that spirits communicate through a form of whistling. If you whistle after dark, you might inadvertently call spirits to your house or bring terror upon everyone. Traditionally, we use a eagle bone whistle during ceremonies or powwows.

2. The Gov provides us with free food for each member of the tribe. Often, people will sign up for what he call commodities or "commods" and trade them for other stuff. It is not uncommon for people to trade drug dealers, or even pay their rent in commods.

3. Everyone in my tribe accumulates wealth until they are 18 years old in a bank acct. set up by the Tribal Gov't. When kids graduate from school every year during the spring, early summer, there are a lot of really great car deals, and you can often tell who go their "indian money" by what you see around the neighborhood. These kids will usually spend around $10,000 on average on stuff that wont last 6 months. A small percentage even die because they were doing drugs and/or drinking alcohol while driving their newly bought vehicles.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Hey guys, not got much to contribute, but anyone know anything about Slovakian culture?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
How much do you know about Getafe??????

For the record, I have no idea what this means, I just know it's one of those UG memes before my time.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
How much do you know about Getafe??????

For the record, I have no idea what this means, I just know it's one of those UG memes before my time.

Yes, actually, the presence of humans in the area of Getafe dates back to the Lower Paleolithic period (before 100,000 BCE). Various stone tools, pots, and bracelets from this period have been excavated from the banks of the Manzanares River.

(it's not from before your time though)

Anyway, this thread seems cool and I just remembered it again so I'm bumping it.
Well, the shaking hands and kissing of cheeks between friends who haven't seen each other for ages here in Italy may be considered downright creepy anywhere else.

Honestly, I only do it with older friends though
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Harvey Swick
Often, if someone behind me in line has fewer items than I, or is elderly, I will let them go ahead of me in a queue.

Yeah same I'll let someone go ahead of me but if they CUT ahead of you that's what's bad because they're showing a disrespect to you and your time and taking control of the situation away from you.

Quote by chrismendiola
Okay, yeah, but why does it upset you to that extent? I mean, it's not really culturally exclusive to feel angry at a person who skips the queue but apparently someone who violates this social contract will cause an uproar amongst people who are known for their stiff upper lips and crooked teeth.

it upsets us because the dick that cuts is basically saying that they're more important than you, and they think they deserve to be served first. Its so rude and disrespectful. We've all got shit to do, but cutting in front of someone to buy a newspaper 4 seconds quicker is such a cvntish thing to do. Wait you turn like the rest us you impatient twat, and pull your head out your arse too while you're at it

Quote by EndTheRapture51

good post

there's also an unwritten rule that applies to getting served in pubs that's similar. If you're waiting at the bar with another person, its polite to let them go first if they were there first and the bar person doesn't know
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Mar 24, 2015,
Quote by Bladez22
it upsets us because the dick that cuts is basically saying that they're more important than you, and they think they deserve to be served first. Its so rude and disrespectful. We've all got shit to do, but cutting in front of someone to buy a newspaper 4 seconds quicker is such a cvntish thing to do. Wait you turn like the rest us you impatient twat, and pull your head out your arse too while you're at it

+ some large number.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i've got better things to be angry about in line

cut me all you want
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Bladez22

All you've done is rehash what EndTheRapture51 said. I'm wondering why Brits (at least as the stereotype goes) are angrier at this than other cultures.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by Bladez22

good post

there's also an unwritten rule that applies to getting served in pubs that's similar. If you're waiting at the bar with another person, its polite to let them go first if they were there first and the bar person doesn't know

at bars, there's always some asshole skinny/tiny person who squeezes in front of everyone. I don't get that annoyed about it cause they have to live with being small.

also bar "queue" parting for the pushy attractive girl is a classic. some out of awkwardness avoiding boob contact and so groping claims, others just trying to be "nice guys". most hilarious at metal gigs where women are in the minority and single women are non-existent. thirsty guys everywhere.

I really hate bars at big venues because there are so many people waiting and so few staff that etiquette goes out the window and if you don't get as dirty as everyone else, you'll be waiting like 30 mins to get served.

Quote by chrismendiola
All you've done is rehash what EndTheRapture51 said. I'm wondering why Brits (at least as the stereotype goes) are angrier at this than other cultures.

something about "manners" and what is proper and polite here being applied to standing in an orderly line.

It's usually people who have "bad manners" in other ways that cut in line.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Krieger91
Well, the shaking hands and kissing of cheeks between friends who haven't seen each other for ages here in Italy may be considered downright creepy anywhere else.

Honestly, I only do it with older friends though

What?
Here in Portugal, you shake hands when you're both men and kiss both cheeks if at least one of you is a woman, in any not very formal setting, even with people you don't know. How is this in different countries?
Quote by theguitarist
at bars, there's always some asshole skinny/tiny person who squeezes in front of everyone. I don't get that annoyed about it cause they have to live with being small.

also bar "queue" parting for the pushy attractive girl is a classic. some out of awkwardness avoiding boob contact and so groping claims, others just trying to be "nice guys". most hilarious at metal gigs where women are in the minority and single women are non-existent. thirsty guys everywhere.

I really hate bars at big venues because there are so many people waiting and so few staff that etiquette goes out the window and if you don't get as dirty as everyone else, you'll be waiting like 30 mins to get served.

something about "manners" and what is proper and polite here being applied to standing in an orderly line.

It's usually people who have "bad manners" in other ways that cut in line.

Getting served at bars is all about tactically going to the place at the bar where there is the least people. People tend to congregate in the middle of a bar and will pile up in a queue there but I always make for the side areas and get served almost instantly.

Bars at big venues suck yeah especially when someone pretend to know someone at the front of the bar and forces through but they're basically just there to get a first drink first.

Manners are just a social contract really. There's a minimum level of politeness that should be acceptable. Bad manners means you don't care for the other persons feelings and don't respect them, or can't be bothered to respect them. Especially when most good manners like holding a door open, letting the person in front of you go first, saying please and thank you take next to no effort.

Bad manners = probably doesn't care about other people = probably a shit person

Page 1 of 2