Hello,
I bought an Ampeg VT-22 yesterday, it's from around 74'-75'. I noticed it's ungrounded but the cable is at least 6 gauges. The amp's almost pristine; it's the only piece of used equipment I did not feel the need to clean.
I run the amp through a Furman Power Conditioner, so it's pretty cleanly powered.

Is it entirely necessary to ground it?
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Hello,
I bought an Ampeg VT-22 yesterday, it's from around 74'-75'. I noticed it's ungrounded but the cable is at least 6 gauges. The amp's almost pristine; it's the only piece of used equipment I did not feel the need to clean.
I run the amp through a Furman Power Conditioner, so it's pretty cleanly powered.

Is it entirely necessary to ground it?

No you don't have to ground it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No you don't have to ground it.

Alright, well it works but I'm wondering what is the negative side of things?
..I was watching my death.
The negative side? Ever step up to a mic onstage and get the CRAP knocked out of you? Ever touch someone else while touching your strings and get the CRAP knocked out of you?

That's what ungrounded does. Get a grounded cable in that thing soon as possible. That's the first thing I did with all my amps. Some bozo broke the ground pins off every one of them, the Super Reverb never had a ground, every used amp I've ever bought got a replacement grounded cable the next day.

Tube amps have 450 to 500volts floating around in there, playing one that's not grounded is a good way to get shocked and it's not fun. Fortunately the ones that got me were all solid state, lower voltage but still no fun at all. First time you plug in and someone else has an amp with reversed polarity, you're getting shocked. That's why a ground polarity switch is standard equipment on a lot of amps.

If you don't know how to install a grounded power cable properly, take it to an amp tech who can. Soon.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
The negative side? Ever step up to a mic onstage and get the CRAP knocked out of you? Ever touch someone else while touching your strings and get the CRAP knocked out of you?

That's what ungrounded does. Get a grounded cable in that thing soon as possible. That's the first thing I did with all my amps. Some bozo broke the ground pins off every one of them, the Super Reverb never had a ground, every used amp I've ever bought got a replacement grounded cable the next day.

Tube amps have 450 to 500volts floating around in there, playing one that's not grounded is a good way to get shocked and it's not fun. Fortunately the ones that got me were all solid state, lower voltage but still no fun at all. First time you plug in and someone else has an amp with reversed polarity, you're getting shocked. That's why a ground polarity switch is standard equipment on a lot of amps.

If you don't know how to install a grounded power cable properly, take it to an amp tech who can. Soon.

It's not that bad or that much safer with a ground. They have been making 2 prong cords for a long time now. Yes it is a little safer with a ground, but not a necessity
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Unless you live in a modern *80's or newer* home, it won't matter. Most homes aren't grounded anyway. Someone along the years has changed the receptacles, but no true ground exists. Be very careful grounding the chassis of an older amp, you could be potentially setting yourself up for a ground loop.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by zeek7pc
Unless you live in a modern *80's or newer* home, it won't matter. Most homes aren't grounded anyway. Someone along the years has changed the receptacles, but no true ground exists. Be very careful grounding the chassis of an older amp, you could be potentially setting yourself up for a ground loop.

+1
Most pre 80's houses the neutral bar is the ground bar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would be very wary of providing information like a 'ground isnt important' or 'homes arent grounded so it doesnt matter' because the consequence of this kind of misinformation can be completely lethal.

Whats important is what the amplifier originally came with on its plug. Did the Ampeg VT-22 originally come fitted with a ground prong on its plug?

Only if the amplifier is constructed as double insulated (and it must display the double insulated symbol on its electrical information plate if it is) does it not need a ground prong on its plug. If its a standard amp like 99% which are not double insulated and there are metal panels, dials and knobs you can touch then it needs an earth. This isnt open to interpretation or opinion.

Ask anyone who has ever copped a belt from faulty equipment that had its ground removed by someone who thought they knew better. Injury is likely and death is possible.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Mar 31, 2015,