After loads of research I have finally decided on the Ibanez RG421 and a Fender Mustang 1, both new.

I tried really hard to get used, but in India the variety is too less, prices are too high and the gear is rarely in good condition.

However even this new gear seems to fulfill most of my desires.

What are comments on my soon-to-be rig? Probably getting it on Tuesday. Will get it set up immediately.
I love Ibanez. I have an RGIX20FEQM and it feels great. As far as the Mustang goes, it should give you a variety of tones. I play mostly metal so I took the Metal amp and did a few tweaks on it with the Fender Fuse program. Sounds like a good starter kit.
Not a fan of Ibanez, the stock pickups are pretty awful and the bridges too. Judging by the music you like, I think a LTD might be a better choice if you can find one. I had a LTD MH-53 for a few years which is probably the nicest lower end guitar I've played. It even stayed in tune really well with the floyd after I set it up properly.

Schecter or Jackson would probably be better than Ibanez too.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 22, 2015,
Quote by Schecter_6661
Sounds like a good starter kit.

yeah. you could do a lot worse i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
nothing wrong with the bridge. its no different than any other hardtail bridge.

yea that pickups leave some to be desired, but IMO they aren't any worse than any cheap starter guitar.

i am not a fan of the mustang 1 though. i like the valvetronix and vypyr better overall.

but as Dave said, you could do a lot worse.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Zhaezzy
Solid choices. Ibanez are always good players. Pickups on the lower end models leave a little to be desired. You should be able to get a lot of good tones out of it

ibanez is known for bad pickups, but i can't think of any guitar for $300 or whatever that has much better. i think the rep is more deserved when you get shitty pickups when you are spending a grand on a guitar.

however i don't mind because i do swap them out. i would rather have my choice than get something i didn't want in there.

i swear ibanez makes them so you want to swap them .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The RG421 is a good choice. Pickups are ass, but nothing in that price range will get you very good pickups anyway. Although drop the Mustang and get a Peavey Vypyr.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Some awesome tips and feedback here, thanks. Agreed most of you dislike the INF pickups, but they are way better than stock Jackson, Dean and Schecter pickups at this price range. Or the pickups in the GRG range.

As for the amp, I'm a metalhead and I considered the Vypyr but the extra 5W and the user-defined presets of the Fender FUSE put it way ahead IMO. It's strength may be in cleans but I have heard it sounds decent for metal on the correct settings and presets. I'll try both, of course, but I am so confused. I feel I should give the Mustang an advantage for its awesome features.
^ Honestly, having lots of presets doesn't mean shit if they don't sound good or they're useless.

I think the high gain channels for the Mustang are really meh. The Vypyr is better imo.

And honestly, I'd rather have Jackson or Schecter's stock pickups over Ibanez INF's. The INF's are really terrible.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 23, 2015,
Have fun with your new guitar and amp.

Play the heck out of it.
"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. This is my religion." -- Abraham Lincoln