I recently watched a video where a guy was using the MXR comp to give his pedal chain a clearer, cleaner signal, since he uses low-output pups. I thought about that for a minute, looked at my guitar (Washburn X-30, low-output humbuckers) and was curious what would happen if I used a comp in the same way.

Then I remembered buffers. From what I understand, some wizardry takes place and your tone ends up clearer and brighter. Usually, you would place a buffer before a long cable or before a long chain of pedals.

Now my concerns: I would love to have a clearer tone. I think just a bit more output would be rad. But I'm not sure if I need a buffer or something else. Also, I don't know if the buffered bypass in the micro POG is doing positive or negative work for my tone. The POG stays on all the time during performances.

My cable from the guitar to the POG is about 10 feet, with regular patch cables in between and longer cables to the amp and back. I am not counting on the Soul Food's buffer, since I doubt the buffer is that great nor would I want to use the buffer after the micro POG if tone suck is happening there.

Chain: Guitar > Micro POG > Soul Food > RAT > Analogizer > VK input > (loop out) > RP-155 > Modtone Wah > Hotone Liftup > (loop in)

If a buffer would be a rad thing for me to get, this is what I'm looking at: http://screaminfx.com/guitar-stompbox-and-boutique-pedals/clarionix-guitar-buffer-pedal-with-fuzz-safe.htm I'm a little wary that any given buffer might just be a treble boost :/

Thank you for your given edification c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 22, 2015,
All a buffer does is turn a high impedance signal from your guitar into a low impedance signal that pedals like and keeps your high end clear through all your pedals. A compressor takes your signal and evens out the dynamics for better sustain. It could in theory help clear things up as well. Considering your chain isn't terribly long and neither is your cable I think you'd be better off with a compressor for what you want to do.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
the soul food's buffer is really, really good. one of the best. no need to buy a standalone buffer. i use my soul food as a buffer most of the time.

though if you have a pedal on all the time it doesn't much matter, your signal's probably being buffered anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you are speaking about an MXR Dynacomp, i would pass. they are loud as all hell, and really suck tone.

a barber tone press is pretty nice. for a bit more the wampler ego compressor is really nice, i love the blend knob, it is really cool. i had the luxury of trying both at GC. they stock the wampler and had a used tone press.

i didn't buy either, but they were both pretty nice IMO.

buffers are pretty simple to build if you want, i have a schematic somewhere.

also its not always a bad thing either. at one point i would use a 20' cable in the loop with it always on to darken the tone a bit.

it will not make it 'clear' so its not that it de-muddifies, it just has a little more at the top end.

i wouldn't worry a ton.

also have your tried your wah before the amp, in front of the OD. i like it better that way and i at one point did have my wah in the loop, and moved it out front and i liked the tone better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
id suggest moving the soul food to the end of the chain.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by trashedlostfdup
also have your tried your wah before the amp, in front of the OD. i like it better that way and i at one point did have my wah in the loop, and moved it out front and i liked the tone better.
I have. I presume you are referencing my Quick Questions post, which goes along with this thread. At the front it doesn't really make much of a difference. It just sounds dark, I've considered that maybe it's not playing well with the RP-155 before it and maybe a buffer would help in between. Not sure why it doesn't work well at the start, either. Must not like ValveKings :c

I have wanted the Wampler Comp for a while now, though. C:
Quote by bustapr
id suggest moving the soul food to the end of the chain.
You mean at the end of the before-amp chain? I am not sure how the Soul Food would play after my preamp boost (Analogizer). So I'd rather buy a 2nd SF if I were to use it specifically for a buffer or a boost of sorts. But it might cut some low end :/
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 22, 2015,
i would get the RP out of there that can't be helping.

i don't think a buffer would make much of a difference in between things.

_________

i would throw some new pickups in the washburn. i have owned a few washburns (i just sold my dime 333), and had a few others, and their pickups really suck. reallly suck.

i would throw some new pickups in there before spending more money on pedals.

that will add clarity and take away the darkness.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Mar 22, 2015,
You usually only need a dedicated buffer for buffering if all other pedals are true bypass and not buffered bypass. Sometimes more than one to deal with vintage pedals etc. Recommend buffer placement after dirt pedals:

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/buffer-pedal-placement.html

Regarding using a compressor, as others have stated, could get noisy for an always on situation depending on the pedal.

Cheers,

Marc, Director
Shootout Guitar Cables, UK
Last edited by SHOOTOUT! at Mar 23, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
Yeah, I've been looking to replace the RP sometime soon. And I had mused new pickups as well. I guess that is the direction I should take. Thanks c:

what do you use on the RP? even if you need some things, i would look at the line 6 m-series. or just individual pedals.

you have no idea how nice it will sound with new pickups. considering that you have a decent rig on the other aspects, that pickups are the weakest link in the chain.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what do you use on the RP? even if you need some things, i would look at the line 6 m-series. or just individual pedals.

you have no idea how nice it will sound with new pickups. considering that you have a decent rig on the other aspects, that pickups are the weakest link in the chain.
I use the RP primarily for delay and verb, along with EQ, noise gate, a touch of comp, and whammy. It all works reasonably well. I did make a "what multi-fx" thread of sorts a while back, I've been pointed towards the G3. I would go for individual pedals but I need many presets.

I've been trying to wait on upgrading the guitar, so that I can actually get a new guitar. But I might put new pups in if a new guitar doesn't seem to be in my future c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 23, 2015,