I'm going through the justinguitar ebook Practical Music Theory, and Justin talks about common progressions such as I VI II V but doesn't say how to play them specifically.

Say the root is A on the 6th string, the VI is F# Major right? How is that played? An A shape barre chord? Would I VI II V go E-shape barre, A-shape barre, E minor-shape barre, A-shape barre?

I tried that and it just doesn't sound right to me. It could be my butchering of A shaped barres though.
Last edited by RicketyCricket at Mar 22, 2015,
For that progression in the Key of A it would be Amaj F#min Bmaj Emaj. (However I assume he was talking about a major progression because that may sound a little better. It would be Amaj F#min Bmin Emaj )

To play them you could use any kind of shape as long as it is the correct chord. So if it sounds wrong you may just be playing the chord wrong. One way to play F#min is using an E minor-shape barre at the second fret.

Edit: Used F#maj instead of minor on accident!
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
Last edited by NougatOfficial at Mar 23, 2015,
In the key of A major the progression is A F#m Bm E. Why? Because of the key signature. You can also play it with major chords only. Most likely you are using the wrong shape for F#m. Use the Em shape.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Most likely you are using the wrong shape for F#m. Use the Em shape.

there is no wrong or right shape.

So long as the chord your playing contains the correct notes, literally any combination of those notes in any order/octave/whatever will be technically correct. Which voicing you use is a matter of preference. Take a moment to note what notes are actually in each of the chords of the progression you're trying to play, then try to find as many inversions/voicings of those chords as you can using only those notes.
Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I meant that maybe TS is playing the wrong chord.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115