I am picking up a new guitar for a new project I have been invited to join. For a variety of reason I have been drawn to thicker necks for about the last 2 years.

I have 2 guitars I am looking at. Problem is, one of them is not available locally so I would have to order online. Also, would probably have to buy new as my local used market absolutely sucks.

I could make any of the SE's with the wide-fat neck work. I had a SE 245 once before and really like it. It was a beast. So I am thinking about another 245, or a Bernie, or a Marty, etc.

The other option is the Bonamassa LP. Any of you guys have any experience with it? What's the quality like on it?

Any other recommendations for an axe with a fat neck in $750 range?
Ibanez SR1200E
Go for the Bernie Marsden SE. Those necks are pretty chunky.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
My SG Faded has a fairly chunky neck.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by Badmotorfingers
My SG Faded has a fairly chunky neck.

This. Most faded series Gibson have fat necks. Though my buddy has a faded SG and he's replaced just about everything on it trying to get it to stay in tune
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I'm kind of a "neck-thickness agnostic"- I don't have a preference for any particular size, and move back and forth between various profiles, contours and scale lengths. So I actually had to look at what I own to make any kind of suggestion.

I don't own either of what you mentioned, but in my collection, my Electra Omega Prime (a LPclone) is probably my thickest necked guitar. And after that, my Fret-King Super 60HB (a Stratclone), then my Reverends.

You live in Georgia, right? I'd recommend a Reverend or Electra. The only reason I can't recommend a Fret-King is that they're a UK company. Revs and Electras are US companies who make their guitars in Korea (like so many others).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 22, 2015,
If you can get to $900ish, you can get a used PRS CE22 and that has the wide-fat neck.

I have the Maple top CE22 and it is a great guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheStig1214
This. Most faded series Gibson have fat necks. Though my buddy has a faded SG and he's replaced just about everything on it trying to get it to stay in tune

Yeah I get a bit of that but it's not too bad. Awesome guitar though, seriously better than some 3k-4k Les Pauls I've played, it feels and sounds 'alive' compared to those other way more expensive guitars which feel and sound dead in comparison.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
I have a Gibson Faded LP & its the best guitar I've ever played, never had any issues with it.

Gibson can be a bit hit & miss throughout their range though, so try before you buy.

If you're after a nice fat neck (I prefer that too) go for the 50s profile. The difference is only a couple of mm, but IMO its enough to make a difference.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i haven't ever had a problem with a gibson staying in tune i like my faded SG though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by GaryBillington
I have a Gibson Faded LP & its the best guitar I've ever played, never had any issues with it.

Gibson can be a bit hit & miss throughout their range though, so try before you buy.

If you're after a nice fat neck (I prefer that too) go for the 50s profile. The difference is only a couple of mm, but IMO its enough to make a difference.

When I bought my PRS S2 I went into the shop to buy either an LP or an SG. There were various issues with each one they had that really had me shaking my head. That said I am not against one, I just need to keep the budget down for this purchase. And like I said in my original post, I have to buy new. The market here for used gear is terrible. The last 2 pieces of used gear I bought I've had to drive 2 hrs one way to get.

Edit to say: I'd love a new LP Studio. But working on a slimmer budget this time. I just dropped dime on an amp to fit this project as well, so it cut into the the cash available.
Ibanez SR1200E
Last edited by pachap at Mar 23, 2015,
Quote by Vampire_State
My Fernandes Vertigo is like playing a baseball bat and I love it.

Thanks man, I'll have to look in to that. Always been intrigued with Ferndandes.

So, any comments on the Joe Bonamassa LP? I am honestly leaning towards that one, but part of me says save the money and see what used SE I can pick up on MF.

FWIW, this new project is progressive-melodic-metal group. Honestly, we're probably just going to jam a lot, and we're cool with that, because there is not much of a scene for that stuff locally. We're already working on some Mastodon and Opeth covers. We're a large outfit.... 3 guitars and some keys to go along with the back line. Already having more fun with it than any other set up I've ever done.
Ibanez SR1200E
I like my Fernandes Ravelles- very well made and comfy. But they have a relatively shallow neck profile, IMHO.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if the Vertigo had a very different neck profile. Definitely worth your time to look at.

As for the Bonamassa LP, I'm sure they're quite nice, especially if you like those Burstbucker pickups.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 23, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I like my Fernandes Ravelles- very well made and comfy. But they have a relatively shallow neck profile, IMHO.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if the Vertigo had a very different neck profile. Definitely worth your time to look at.

It depends on the model/year.

I know someone with another Vertigo that feels completely different.

The newer ones are sleeker.

And then there is the Vulcan.
Cry yourself to ash
The Vulcans have that "ergo" modded Vertigo body- are the necks comparable?

Quote by TheStig1214

I had a faded flying v years ago. Had a regular slim taper flying v neck. I'd really only call It thick compared to something like an Ibanez or a Jackson. I think it's more the stock USA SG's prior to 2013 (and going back to, I don't know when but a while) had thick necks because they had some neck breakage and tuning stability issues with the really thin necks and the weak neck joints in the 60's. I stayed away from SG's for many years because my brain couldn't reconcile that thick a neck on that thin a body. Also put me off from buying an SG classic, which I totally should have gotten at the time. Ah well.

I have a couple carvins that have what I would characterize as fairly thick necks (similar to or slightly thicker than the SG's I own) but they have incredibly good action so they're nice and playable-about as well or slightly better or worse on a given day than the sg's.