San Francisco church installs system to dump water on homeless during drought

Page 1 of 4
I'm conflicted. This is smack dab between laughably stupid and face palmingly annoying stupid. Of course it's a ****ing church to. It wouldn't be so deliciously hypocritical if it wasn't.

KCBS reported that the “no trespassing” signs outside the primary church for Archdiocese of San Francisco, Saint Mary’s Cathedral, did not mention what would happen to the homeless who tried to sleep under the cover of the building’s doorway.

At random times throughout the night, “[w]ater pours from a hole in the ceiling, about 30 feet above, drenching the alcove and anyone in it,” the station noted. “The shower ran for about 75 seconds, every 30 to 60 minutes while we were there, starting before sunset, simultaneously in all four doorways. KCBS Twitnessed it soak homeless people, and their belongings.”

A homeless person named Robert told KCBS that people continued to risk their own health by sleeping under the shower.

A neighbor pointed out to KCBS that the watering system was not only an “inhuman” way to treat people, it also was a waste of water during a serious drought.

“We do the best we can, and supporting the dignity of each person,” Archdiocese spokesperson Chris Lyford said. “But there is only so much you can do.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/san-francisco-catholic-church-installs-watering-system-to-drench-homeless-people-as-they-sleep/
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Mar 22, 2015,
Free shower to be fair.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I'm glad I've never lived in a place where people go all SJW annoying OMG AM COOL ATHIEST when someone ever mentions the word CHURCH. Oh your assholes just tightened up soooo much didn't they.
they should use buckets of diarrhea instead of water, that would show em
KIFFLOM
Quote by Wormholes
I'm glad I've never lived in a place where people go all SJW annoying OMG AM COOL ATHIEST when someone ever mentions the word CHURCH. Oh your assholes just tightened up soooo much didn't they.

The fact this is a church doing it makes it more ******ed, but not for the reason "RELGION IS BAD MAN." It's because of stuff like:

Quote by Luke 14:13
But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind

Quote by Deuteronomy 15:11
For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’

Quote by Proverbs 19:17
Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.

http://www.openbible.info/topics/jesus_and_the_poor
I'm glad you are able to sum up all religions that have existed since forever into three christian quotes.
like, maybe this is one person that's being dumb in the world and religion has nothing to do with it and this doesn't really amount to anything other than one person being dumb somewhere
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
it also was a waste of water during a serious drought.
If California was charging an honest market rate (which I'm assuming would be exorbitant) for water right now, there wouldn't even be a problem. This church could seem like dicks because they spent so much on water they weren't even gonna drink ("richy rich bastards wasting donations"), not that they wasted it, and everyone (especially the smelly homeless of San Fran who probably would appreciate a cool shower) would be happy.

But actually it's just water, it seems like a pretty simple and humane way to keep people from squatting. Maybe a bit hypocritical but don't churches run actual homeless shelters a lot of times?
Going out of your way to inflict cruelty to people already in a bad situation is pretty douchey. Enough said.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Going out of your way to inflict cruelty to people already in a bad situation is pretty douchey. Enough said.
It's not though.. It's a harmless deterrent to people trespassing. You really think having water dumped on you after you've broken the law (no police action or force involved) is cruelty? Come on, stop and think about this for two seconds. This is only a story because some people have a stereotype of what churches are/should be doing.
Quote by seanlang01
It's not though.. It's a harmless deterrent to people trespassing. You really think having water dumped on you after you've broken the law (no police action or force involved) is cruelty? Come on, stop and think about this for two seconds. This is only a story because some people have a stereotype of what churches are/should be doing.

Yes dumping water on people with no shelter in the middle of the night is totally harmless.

“We’re going to be wet there all night, so hypothermia, cold, all that other stuff could set in. Keeping the church clean, but it could make people sick,” Robert explained.
I read this thread title and originally thought they were splashing homeless people with water during the heat to cool them down and thought 'helping your fellow man is great' then I read the OP and was somewhat infuriated at the duality of a church.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by seanlang01
You really think having water dumped on you after you've broken the law (no police action or force involved) is cruelty?

Yes, and you bring up a good point that it's also entirely unnecessary vigilantism and downright immature as well when there are more sensible solutions (police or just being less uptight).
Quote by seanlang01
It's a harmless deterrent to people trespassing.

Eat dogshit motherfucker. I hope one of your loved ones get pneumonia. Coddled prick.
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Quote by Zaphikh
Eat dogshit motherfucker. I hope one of your loved ones get pneumonia. Coddled prick.

Teeheehee.
Last edited by snipelfritz at Mar 23, 2015,
Quote by snipelfritz
Teeheehee.

Couldn't say it yourself? That's fine.
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Quote by Zaphikh
Couldn't say it yourself? That's fine.

I'm feeling unnecessarily verbose tonight. I'll play good cop to your bad.
Quote by Zaphikh
calm down rofl
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by Zaphikh

10/10 response
KIFFLOM
Quote by seanlang01

You're a massive prick.

But everyone already knew that.
Quote by seanlang01
IBut actually it's just water, it seems like a pretty simple and humane way to keep people from squatting.
Mmm... Yeah, I'm pretty sure dumping water on people is comparable to throwing water on cats in heat.

Soooo.... Like..... NOT humane.

Quote by TheChaz
You're a massive prick.

But everyone already knew that.
I didn't, lol.
I don't think I've ever really payed attention to his posts.
Makes a good first impression.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I guess I see what seanlang is trying to say. It is harmless compared to throwing someone in jail where they might rack up more dept and something like that. But it's still malicious since they know it could easily inflict bodily harm on the group of people their religion is supposed to protect.

I get that every Christian isn't going to give up tons of time and money to the poor but that church could have spent all that money building a damn shelter. Not like a legit homeless shelter, just a place to get out of the elements for the homeless. They have a problem with people loitering and shit but they aren't really contributing in a way fitting of a church. I don't know. Maybe we have different churches here. If a church around here had enough money to waste on all that water then they'd be putting it toward helping those people
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Joshua Garcia

I didn't, lol.
I don't think I've ever really payed attention to his posts.
Makes a good first impression.

Yeah, he's pretty much an asshole ultra right wing libertarian.

'01 is probably his birth year
To be fair the church used the sprinkler system to deter people from using drugs near the church. There's been needles and other drug paraphernalia found near the entryways.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Zaphikh

banned
Quote by Weaponized
the homeless should be rounded up and grounded into jerky imo

yes that would teach them a lesson
banned
Using "delicious" to refer to anything that's not food is gross imo
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Using "delicious" to refer to anything that's not food is gross imo

what if ur eating ass

is that food then?
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
what if ur eating ass

is that food then?

not that i eat ass or anything, but you know, yeah
banned
Ass is part of any balanced diet.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I also thought of it as free shower for the poor, and also drinking water during drought
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
Quote by Zaphikh

jfc talk about overreacting.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Lol, at least put on the sign that there's going to be water pouring down.
"Well, it says 'no trespassing', the pneumonia was implied!"

Inb4 someone slips due to wetness and sues the church.
that's the CATHOLIC church for you--they are so hypocritical; smh...

Now Protestants would open up their church and give the homeless a place to stay; see the difference between idolatry thanks to Constantine and true Christianity?
Quote by JESUSFREA343
that's the CATHOLIC church for you--they are so hypocritical; smh...

Now Protestants would open up their church and give the homeless a place to stay; see the difference between idolatry thanks to Constantine and true Christianity?
Uhhhhhh I feel like I just read a whole heap of dumb.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by BladeSlinger
rack up more dept

gotta get those departments
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Uhhhhhh I feel like I just read a whole heap of dumb.

Can confirm, 100% dumb
Page 1 of 4