Can someone give me a list of guitar exercises to improve in everything, I have pretty much all day to practice I just don't get in enough real practice cause I don't what types of exercises to do.
I can only tell you what I do.

I don't spend time doing "exercises".

I do spend my time practicing things that are useful from a musical standpoint.

For example I practice certain scale type runs that I use while playing. I practice licks that I use. I practice songs that I play. I practice certain chord changes that give me difficulty in songs I play. I jam over backing tracks.

I set aside a specific amount of time for each of these things that fits into my schedule. I do this everyday.

Everything I do must be something useful musically. This takes some thought and planning but not a lot.

Just practicing exercises is quite a waste of time in my opinion.

Furthermore, "practicing all day" is quite non-productive to me. It's better to set aside a specific amount of time or specific activities and then do them. Achieve something everyday. Reach a goal everyday. Concentrated effort.

Then I do something else productive with my remaining hours in my day.

However, if you want to practice "all day", determine what "all day" is. Is it 6 hours? 8 hours? 12 hours? Then structure your time in musically useful things. Make a list of activities that you will accomplish everyday. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Don't noodle around all day aimlessly.

See my list of things I do. Use it as a guide and put your own things in your list.

Some things you might do:

1) Tricky chord changes
2) Scales and runs (alternate picking, legato, economy picking?)
3) Songs & solos
4) Strumming patterns
5) Theory
6) Licks
7) Jamming over backing tracks
8) Arpeggios
9) Singing

My 2 cents.
Last edited by Virgman at Mar 23, 2015,
looking for structure in your approach to music can be frustrating..especially if you don't know what you want/need to know..

some questions..

how important is music in your life...a hobby or a life long goal

what do you want to do with music..be famous/rich or just involved at many levels behind the sceans..teaching/performing at small clubs etc

how many styles do you know..how many do you want to know

how much theory do you know..is it important to you

all the advice from the folks on this forum and others may help you some or it may confuse you - if you don't have some kind of "goal" in mind..it can be a short term goal..like learning some blues licks or some very involved long term like learning jazz harmony

take a sheet of paper..a actually write down what you want to do with music..list the things you want (this may take some time-days even..go slow)...then write down what you THINK you need to do..to accomplish what you want..come back here and post your results..you may be amazed at what you find..

this will be a one step at a time - so be patient with the process of learning music
play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Mar 23, 2015,
Quote by wolflen
looking for structure in your approach to music can be frustrating..especially if you don't know what you want/need to know..

some questions..

how important is music in your life...a hobby or a life long goal

what do you want to do with music..be famous/rich or just involved at many levels behind the sceans..teaching/performing at small clubs etc

how much theory do you know..is it important to you

Yes I hope to make a career out of music and plan to join a band later down the road. As of right now I only know very basic music theory. Like you said having structure is frustrating, which is why I need someone to point me into the right direction on what to practice before my daily routine becomes noodling around on guitar for hours.
ok...your serious if you want to make a career out of music..

if possible..get a good teacher/take classes-at least for the basic foundations

learn Diatonic Harmony..the base scales( major and minor) from which chords are formed..

things will begin to become much clearer when you realize there is a reason for chord names and their function..both triads and 4-note chords (7ths)

then learning the arpeggios and related scales for each chord will make far more sense--learn this in as many keys as possible..this helps .. you begin to see the relationships between keys ..and the fretboard becomes very friendly

now this will take some time to digest..its not a quick study..so be patient with it

while doing this study..learn some standards..as they use diatonic harmony ALOT in their structures..(beatles songs also!!)
play well

wolf