Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,
another thread here about what rig do you use. I currently have a Fender Mustang 25, in which I plug an Epiphone Les Paul (with EMG 81/60), through a MXR Wylde Overdrive pedal.
Like the man says, "Less is more", and the sound is killing. Yet, I wanna go for a Marshall, nothing very special, just an mg30fx. My choice is pretty made on that one, but what I would like you guys to advise me on is pedals!

Next one in my mind are:
-MXR EVH Phaser
-MXR Stereo Chorus
- Jim Dunlop Wah pedal

What pedals do you have, and what do you recommend.

I play mostly metal and rock stuff, but do have a sweet inner side calling me for acoustic and clean sound sometimes!
Not to derail your pedal hunt, but I would take the money you are planning on spending on pedals and that Marshall and get a much better amp. That will truly have a much larger impact on your tone than buying the MG and pedals.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Don't get a MG. You're being fooled by the name, the Mustang is already better than a MG. As bobafettacheese said, you'll be much better off saving the money for a better amp. Save for a tube amp, I think a Marshall DSL40c would be good for you.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
As advised above I wouldn't go for the amp but I will answer the pedal question. I've got the MXR EVH Phaser and it is awesome, wah - 535Q, Overdrive - GT-OD, Carbon Copy, Whammy DT etc.
Gear
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom-S
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez RG370DXL w/SD Invaders and a hot rail
Tanglewood acoustic
Marshall JVM410H
+a lot of pedals!
I have a Bad Monkey overdive, Boss NS-2, Polytune, GE-7 eq, EBS Dynaverb and a Digitech Hardwire delay. Those are kinda the esential pedals, altough i guess i could make do with the bad monkey, noise gate and eq. I also have a Crybaby, but i took that one out since it was just taking up space, and i've kinda reached "critical controlable mass" so to speak. Its already a pretty complex tapdance that i have to coordinate with playing and singing. So yeah, dont go overboard on pedals.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Yeah I'd probably not buy an MG...

That being said, there's 2 pedals I can't live without. My Distortron and a tuner.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I had the EVH Phaser. I like my BYOC Phase Royal a lot more. My most used pedals are my BYOC Vintage Compressor, MI Blues Pro OD, and Echorec delay. My chorus doesn't get much use. It's only on when I'm using my EHX Superego.
Ok MG seems not as good as when i tried them out. First time i played them i was amazed, but it s true that a tube Marshall is worth the extra money, which i don t have. And the reason i'm buying this marshall is to jam with another gutiarist who can't bring his 60watt amp each time we jam. so we decided to put in enough money together to buy a cheap marshall just for the jams..

Do any of you know about the valvestate technology for Marshalls? is it any good? by that i mean the AVT models and Valvestate ones..
You can get way better amps that don't say Marshall on them for the same price as a new MG or an AVT.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Currently, my vital pedals are an MI Audio Crunch Box and a Line 6 DL4. I can cover quite a bit of sound and ground with just these two pedals.

+1 for everyone saying get a better amp, an mg is not a better amp. You'd be surprised at how effective the pedals you already own can be through a good amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'll have to join the better amp crowd. I've only played one MG model, wasn't too impressed...it did ok but I wouldn't gig with it. A friend owned one.

I play through a Arion Analog Delay, Ibanez Phaser or Dan Electro Rocky Road, Boss DS 1, Marshall Bluesbreaker, Schaller Volume pedal, in that order on my pedal board.

If I have to go with a minimal rig, I bring the Arion delay and Marshall overdrive, with the volume pedal. For band practice I really go minimal and usually just the Marshall overdrive...that one I can't live without...Now I'm bringing the volume pedal too, we just started playing a couple of songs where I have to have it for swells.

If you're looking for a minimalist rig, my suggestions would be an overdrive and some sort of delay. All the rest of my line up I can live without, no problem. At gigs I only use the phaser for 2 songs I think, distortion for 2 maybe and the overdrive can be adjusted to do the trick. Volume pedal is absolutely mandatory, I hate using the knobs, overdrive and delay are the two I'll always have on hand.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
The only pedals that are vital to my sound are simple;

The gas pedal and the brake.

So I can go and get yet another piece of gear to cover up my shit playing...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^

I agree, no pedal is vital in my rig, definitely.

I actually only have a distortion and a compressor and I rarely use the compressor lately.
Pedals I've had most fun with are auto wah's and delay's combined, but ymmv.

Also MG's sound pretty bad, I'd get another amp for sure.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
maybe my overdrive but if i have to i can get what i need out of my Ultra with nothing else. i practice usually with the overdrive but otherwise i don't use my other pedals. now if i need to practice parts of a song that requier certain fx then i plug them in otherwise not so much. i do occasionally practice using each effect as learning them does take some practice.
Either my Timmy or my Soul Food.

But seriously, MG's are fvcking rubbish. Look at Jet Ciy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Answering the general question, TC Flashback and Hall of Fame, I can't live without these two and I've plenty of favourite settings on both. Everything else is replaceable to a certain extent, but life would feel so empty without these two.

But in your case, that really depends on what you like. As far as I know and have tried, MXR pedals are generally very solid.

Besides, I can definitely join the "not MG" answers - I had an MG and played a Mustang, and the Mustang is far, far better. (I was actually quite blown away by the Mustang compared to the price and what I expected.)
OD's and delays are essential for tone, but tuners are very convenient. wah is nice too.

right now on a small rig i am running, a pitchblack>fulltone clyde>Zendrive>OCD>malekko 616>malekko 616 lo-fi>orange dual terror.

it gets me anywhere i need and a little more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Diamond Comp is the only pedal i have thats always on.
mojostompboxes.com
one more for the don't buy the MG club right here. they suck balls plain and simple

my essential pedal(s).....hmmmmm a tube screamer and chorus pedal. that's it
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I'm also a subscriber to the less is more school of thought. It sounds like a cop out but all of my pedals (there's only 2 not including the tuner) are essential. We're talking the EHX Holy Grail and the Fulltone OCD. The OCD gives me a different flavor of OD from my amp's drive channel and I love combining the pedal and the amp's channel for those times when I want to go to 11. As for the Holy Grail, it and the Orange are basically a match made in heaven.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Another +1 here for "Don't buy an MG".

And right now, my essential pedals are a Boss TU-3 tuner, Strymon Timeline, and TC Electronics Hall of Fame, and probably my SignaDrive for some moderate crunch. And my Ditto for live playing. But the stuff I'm playing right now (post-rock and ambiance) doesn't really require much else. Fuzz and chorus, chorus especially, are mainly there for fun.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
The only pedal I need in my rig is the channel footswitch and a tuner. I can live without any other FX.

No MG
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As badmotorfingers said, get a Marshall DSL40C instead. I got a 30W marshall MG series and I never use it because it does not sound right. I use my fender HRD which has very similar specs as the DSL40C but obviously one has a fender voice while the other has a marshall voice.

Pedals! I did not like the MXR phasers as when I tried them they had a volume drop when placed in the effects loop. I use an EHX small stone. the small stone is less natural than the MXR but is still a nice pedal. I also have the Zakk Wylde OD. I prefer the Ibanez TS9 to that one. I have a dunlop wah, a 535Q unit, that I never use. Using the small stone, I am able to achieve a similar sound to a wah with a constant time. Then the MXR stereo chorus is one of the best pedals I ever tried. It is on my wish list.

Now, if I would go to a gig I would always have the following:
Tuner, Compressor, OD/distortion, Chorus, Delay

If you do not play a lot funky clean stuff you may not need the compressor. You can place a wah instead.
I run a Peavey 6505+ into a mesa 4X12 and there are only three pedals I need for anything I do tuner, tubescreamer and noise gate.

I recently got a Zoom G3 pedal and am playing around running it through the effects loop, but so far haven't bothered playing live with it. Most times I fully beleive less is more, but too each their own.
And yet another NO to the MG.
What is essential for me:
Tuner
OD (preferably 2 of them)
Delay
Although I don't use the delay that much.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 30, 2015,
Boss BE-5M consist of Compressor, OD/Dist, Delay & Chorus I like the delay in here coz is all stereo . and I use Korg Ax1g for the other Effects & wah and last the Boss Ge-7 to thick my Tone
Quote by CodeMonk
And yet another NO to the MG.
What is essential for me:
Tuner
OD (preferably 2 of them)
Delay
Although I don't use the delay that much.

To be more specific...
Boss TU-3
Ibanez TS808 or TS9DX
FD2 MOSFET
TC Nova Delay

Kinda want to add Box Of Rock in there, but 90% of the time, the OD's give me all the dirt I need.
PEDALS:

Vox Wah (I have the Dunlop as well, but prefer the VOX)

Ibanez Tube Screamer (a classic distortion pedal that belongs on every board)

MXR Carbon Copy (also have the TC Electronic Flashback - also great for a wide variation of sounds)

A boost - either TC Electronic Spark or Xotic EP Booster

MXR Phase 90 (or any other versions, but MXR is definetely the way to go for a Phaser)

I also have a MXR Dnya Comp compressor to get a bit of bite and sustain on certain licks/solos.

Get an Amp with Reverb (simplifies things)

Hope this helps!
Hooper drives the boat chief...
get a tube amp...then get a noise suppressor and a wah. Maybe something like a delay and chorus if you MUST have effects. forget overdrive/dist pedals, forget eq pedals. 75% of your sound is your amp
Quote by TheLiberation
^ there's a lot of other ways to get a good sound than relying everything on a tube amp.

Yeah, like a Randall SS right?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Since when am I Cathbard's fanboy?

Fredyryenczjzzzzz's fanboy in the house
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Hey guys, the guy was banned already and its been 3 days since it happened. Get over it and stop derailing threads.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
pedals...
535Q wah
tuner
noise gate
chorus

and no MG...please
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
I have an Ampeg VH140C, which is nice because it eliminates the need for a distortion pedal, chorus pedal, and a reverb pedal because it's all built in. My pedal board (from guitar to amp) is a Boss Chromatic Tuner, Wylde Overdrive, Wylde Crybaby, Boss Noise Suppressor, into my amp. My essential pedal is the noise gate. I can live without any of the other pedals, but the noise gate is a life saver. I'm not going to say don't get the MG, but definitely get the money together and go to a music store and play every amp within that price range before you buy anything. The most important opinion here is your own, and your own ear is the most valuable.
Page 1 of 2