Which scale is used on first solo (not outro solo) in Guns N Roses - Nightrain solo scale (Apetite for destruction album)
Minor/major pentatonic scale. There's probably a 6th thrown in every so often for flavor.
Skip the username, call me Billy
yeah but in witch key of minor/major pentatonic? The song is in my opinion in key of A
The song is indeed in A minor. I always liked the solo in this song. There's something cohesive about it.

To find out what's going on, look at the bass or the rhythm parts that play under the solo. That's the real hero here.

The chords go Bm-F#m
Then after a while the whole band plays this funny chromatic thing and the chords change to D-F#m

So the first half of the solo is in Bm and the second half is in the parallel major key of D major. Going up a tone (from Am to Bm) is a common device for a bridge. It gives the song a lot of momentum.

It finishes by going F#m-E a few times and then a long D chord. That D chord leads the song back to the key of Am.
To me that D-F#m sounds more like a VI-i in F# minor (Slash also plays some F#m pentatonic licks over it). Also, the way it ends (F#m-E-F#m-E) has a pretty clear F#m sound to it.

Oh, and remember the half step down tuning. If you are playing in standard, you need to play Bbm, Db and Fm chords.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^^^ It wouldn't be uncommon for the solo to be in a different key. Practically every GNR song modulates for the guitar solo.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^^^ I suppose they had to do SOMETHING to keep the listeners awake...
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Jet Penguin
^^^ I suppose they had to do SOMETHING to keep the listeners awake...

That must be way they modulate so much in jazz.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Nice one.

I think I'm one of the rare breeds here who can't stand GNR or Nirvana

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Back when I had long hair people used to say I looked like Kurt Cobain. Then I'd have to tell them I don't like Nirvana because I'm too happy/have ears.

I...tolerate GnR because my best friend/bassist is pretty into them. I'm kinda ambivalent. I had to play Welcome to the Jungle for something last year and that chromatic walkup after the jungle part is so crap.

F#, F, F#, G, A, G#, A, A# to the C in the chorus. Lol.

Just go F#, F, F# G#, A, G#, A, B ffs. Do they have ears or what?
Last edited by Duaneclapdrix at Mar 24, 2015,
I don't care for them either. I went through a short phase when I was around 16 when I liked them, but they're just kinda 'meh' to me. Same with nirvana.
Quote by Ilisariss
yeah but in witch key of minor/major pentatonic? The song is in my opinion in key of A

Well, let's see if you can't figure this out yourself.

What notes appear in the solo?

What sounds like the tonal center of the solo?

Give a man a fish etc etc.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Nice one.

I think I'm one of the rare breeds here who can't stand GNR or Nirvana

Did this happen before or after Berklee.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Before actually. When I was in high school everyone was on the Nirvana bandwagon and I never saw it.

The only thing Berklee's done for me is made me really annoyed at a lot of jazz musicians, and how they "present" their music. But that's a long story.

If that's all that Berklee has done for you... I learned that on my own.
It's not

What I meant by "only thing it's done for me" is "the only thing that it's given me that has made me harshly opinionated and cynical toward X"

But then again, I'm pretty cynical. I suppose the jazz hate isn't their fault.

I'm glad I didn't go to Berklee.