Hi, all!

45 yo guy here grew up playing violin, drums and always wanted to play guitar.

So, last year I bought the Fender Squier HSS combo at the local music store. I've been learning scales, doing exercises, and of course learning how to play a few riffs of my favorite bands (ie, Rush mainly.)

About 4 months ago I picked up a Gibson Les Paul Studio of Ebay. It totally changed what I consider a "good tone". It also feels completely different in my hands (if that makes sense).

Current amp I'm using is a Fender Mustang 3. Headphones are used mainly as well as I think they sound better than the amp alone, especially when playing to music through a laptop and the aux port on the amp (the amp alone makes the music sound terrible).

Here's my dilema. I like the "feel" of the Squier (mainly the neck/fretboard) but the sound of the LP. This may be due to the fact I use the Squier a lot more for practice.

What to do?

1. Upgrade PUs or something else on the Squier?
2. Play the LP more to get more "used to it" and sell the Squier?
3. Something else? (maybe there's a guitar that feels like a fender but has better tone like a LP? Maybe a real strat?)

I know it's going to come down to playing different models and staying away from lower priced options. But there has to be others with similar experiences.

Thanks!
first of all, Welcome!

In regards to your issue of playability vs tone, you could change the strings on the strat to heavy strings but I'd advise against that as you're starting out and heavy strings are difficult to fret early on. You could go to what I would call halfway, which would be a Gibson SG or it's Epiphone equivalent which is the G-400, it's a slightly lighter tone than the LP but with a much thinner neck. but honestly the best solution is to get used to the LP and it's quirks.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Thanks for the reply!

I actually have Elixer polywebs .010-.046 on both guitars. I should have mentioned that. Sorry!
Quote by legbuh
Thanks for the reply!

I actually have Elixer polywebs .010-.046 on both guitars. I should have mentioned that. Sorry!

So mediums, how hard would you say you push down? do you touch the wood of the neck with the string?

anyway, the change to heavier strings would be the quickest and easiest but not the most long term effective, I still suggest just getting used to the Les Paul's thicker neck profile, especially if you want the tone the Les Paul gives.

Another question though which I should've asked is what PUs does the Les Paul have? P-90 single coils or Humbuckers?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

I push down to hard. That's one of the things I need to work on for sure. On the LP for example, when I do a D chord I can hear I'm pushing to hard because it goes sharp. On the Squier it's not so noticable.

The LP is a studio with whatever it came with (2 humbuckers).

With a good pair of headphones the tone between the two is night and day and I love the tone the LP gives with the right distortion setting. With just the amp it's not quite as noticeable, but I can tell if others can't.

I guess that's the main difference between a $100 and a $500 guitar as well.

I'm wondering if there are any brands I should look at (like Ibanez, PRS, etc) if I like the tone of the LP but the feel of the strat. There is a 2nd year PRS on CL for sale that caught my eye.
Quote by legbuh
I push down to hard. That's one of the things I need to work on for sure. On the LP for example, when I do a D chord I can hear I'm pushing to hard because it goes sharp. On the Squier it's not so noticable.

The LP is a studio with whatever it came with (2 humbuckers).

With a good pair of headphones the tone between the two is night and day and I love the tone the LP gives with the right distortion setting. With just the amp it's not quite as noticeable, but I can tell if others can't.

I guess that's the main difference between a $100 and a $500 guitar as well.

I'm wondering if there are any brands I should look at (like Ibanez, PRS, etc) if I like the tone of the LP but the feel of the strat. There is a 2nd year PRS on CL for sale that caught my eye.

yes, the strings need only touch the fret, no harder.

Like I said before, an SG would not go amiss, it has a sound very close to the LP, but perhaps a bit lighter and has a neck profile thin like a Stratocaster. although a PRS probably wouldn't be a bad thought, you'd have to ask someone else though as I've never even met someone who plays one, let alone played one myself.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

I bit the bullet and bought the PRS Santana SE (2001) off CL. When I saw it I couldn't say no. It was barely used. Strings and Fret corroded.

Cleaned it up, restrung it, set it up and it's great. Not quiet as good as the LP but much better than the squier HSS. I may have to try a "real" PRS.