Hey guys, just purchased a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3 channel (non multiwatt) haven't really played around with it much yet, but with the time I have, first impression is, kind of fuzzy, just different. I have not bought pedals yet, but I am asking any tips or pedals recommendations for this amp, I play in a Metalcore band I just want the amp to have more attack, more "All That remains" sound. Any information would help, pedals? Also considering building a rack. Yay or nah to sonic Maximizer, heard a 5153 with one, really tightened the sound up, brought everything in I suppose. Thanks guys.
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7
83 Peavey Patriot Special

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 MKii
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Considering sending it to Voodoo
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
I'd definitely get a new cab instead of rack units - a mesa recto or an orange ppc.

If you wanted a tight sound why did you get a recto in the first place?
I'd rather get an EQ so you have an actual idea what you're doing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Do you still have that Line 6 Spider Valve?
TBH I don't think a Dual Rec would be metalcore territory(But I could be wrong).
If your spider valve has a 6505 setting then maybe you should try that.

One thing, set the amp to a shit ton of bass and not too much mids, that shoudl get you close. Treble to your liking, but not too high as well.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Try a new cab, probably with V30's. And an OD infront of the amp to tighten it up. Then possibly look at other pedals - but you shouldnt need that many for metal core
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Fryderyczek
TBH I don't think a Dual Rec would be metalcore territory(But I could be wrong).

One thing, set the amp to a shit ton of bass and not too much mids, that shoudl get you close. Treble to your liking, but not too high as well.

Wat? No.

Please do not do this. If anything, turn the bass WAY down on that amp, as it's the cause of its looseness.

TBH, the 3-channel Recto is probably one of my least favorite amps I've ever owned. An overdrive to tighten up the low end will help, as will EL-34s in the power section, instead of 6L6s. An EQ in the loop could help get rid of some of the flub, too. A different cab, with speakers that produce more in the high-mids, might help - I have no experience with the one you're using currently, though, so I have no idea if it'd be a large upgrade to something with V30s in it... Lots of people like oversized cabs, but I think they work against them on a 3-channel; something smaller, similar in dimension to the Mesa Standard cab would be better than the OS. However, a 3-channel will never sound as tight as a 5150/6505, which sound more like what you're looking for...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Fryderyczek

Be quiet now.
You might have experience with a SS randall, but you obviously have no experience with a recto
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 23, 2015,
Quote by Fryderyczek
The result of this is as far as it gets from metalcore

As far as the settings go tune the guitar low, use little bass, a lot of mids and some treble.
Does that recto have the SS recto option?
If so use the SS recto.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Appreciate the feedback. Anyone have any experience with voodoo mods?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Quote by Spambot_2
The result of this is as far as it gets from metalcore

As far as the settings go tune the guitar low, use little bass, a lot of mids and some treble.
Does that recto have the SS recto option?
If so use the SS recto.

You mean the silicon diode rectifier mode? All dual and triple rectos have it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would for sure get a Tube Screamer or an EQ pedal to tighten up the "flub" that the low end can have. I prefer the Tube Screamer, a TS808 sounds a little better than a TS9 but there is a price difference. Also, Mesa's EQ setting act differently than many popular amp manufacturer's. Your amp will have a lot of fizzy distortion if you eq it the way you would a Fender, Vox, Peavey, etc. Don't worry if you find your amp's Treble sitting at 830, especially at lower volumes. Back off the gain as well, there is a sweet spot. When you find a sound that is close to what you like, try dialing back your guitar's treble a little.
First thing I would try is a "tube screamer" style overdrive in front of it. Back your amp gain down just a touch from your normal. Turn the pedal drive almost all the way down and the level all the way up. Start with the pedal tone at noon and go from there. Good luck!

(Haha I was typing this as the post above me was posted. Almost the same advice.)
Last edited by TheGroundZero at Mar 23, 2015,
Alright. I also downloaded the Mess Owners manual, some people claimed it had some good info on some of the sweet spots.
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
I have owned 3 recto models and never had an issue with lowend like a lot here complain about. All you have to do is turn it down some. It isn't some special thing you need to do.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have owned 3 recto models and never had an issue with lowend like a lot here complain about. All you have to do is turn it down some. It isn't some special thing you need to do.

Seconded

Throw and OD in there and you can definitely start to hit that ATR territory.
Personally I would have gone with a 6505/+ for the ATR. It's got that sharp attack that I hear on their tracks.

I just googled and this came up- http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19988-rig-rundown-all-that-remains-oli-herbert-and-mike-martin

So yea, 6505/5150 does it for them.

They also use Actives apparently.

But you can find a lot of sounds in the Dual Rec and they can get heavy. Just sit an eq. remember that what you hear at low volumes won't always translate to what it sounds like at stage volumes
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Robbgnarly

I agree - I've never EQ'd a Recto much different than any other amp I've owned... That being said, the 3-channels I've owned were the most troublesome amps I've owned when it came to getting any amount of clarity at high gain with it. If the values were the same, I would've gladly taken a Line 6 Spider over that last 3 channel I had
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Dudes, i was talking how TS should set the tone on the SV if it has a 6505 setting and IF he still has it...

And TBH Rob, based on what i hear, I don't think I want to have experience with a dual rec.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Dudes, i was talking how TS should set the tone on the SV if it has a 6505 setting and IF he still has it...

And TBH Rob, based on what i hear, I don't think I want to have experience with a dual rec.

Why not? They are popular for a reason. Not my personal favorite, but they are badass in their own way. They take a bit to get EQ'd right but after that they can sound great.

I've come to realize most people who talk shit about any "high-end" gear mostly have no experience at all with them or at best spent 10min with it at a store with whatever the sales guy gives you for a guitar.

And the SV has no Peavey settings at all but it does have a recto
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Any one have some info on a sonic Maximizer?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Quote by DimeShreder1

They are great for PA systems, but I hate them for guitar. It makes a amp sound super processed and I don't like that at all

But you need to start your own thread
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Listen to the people who suggested v30 closed speaker cabs, and tubescreamer out front. As for settings, bass at halfway should be fine, mids between 5-7/10, treble to 6-7/10, presence 6-7/10 (depending on where your treble is at). You should be able to get an ATR sound no problem. The tubescreamer, the presence, and the the v30s will give you the clarity and attack that you want. You dont have to go crazy with the gain when you have the tubescreamer going.. Gain at 4-5/10 should do it I reckon
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Robbgnarly
They are great for PA systems, but I hate them for guitar. It makes a amp sound super processed and I don't like that at all

+ i hated my sonic maximizer. waste of money.

i like my tremoverb a lot for metal. even though they are different, i like it more than the 6505 i had (not at the same time though). they are very different though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+ i hated my sonic maximizer. waste of money.

i like my tremoverb a lot for metal. even though they are different, i like it more than the 6505 i had (not at the same time though). they are very different though.

Jealous of your Tremoverb! Why don't they make the good ones anymore?
Quote by DimeShreder1
It's a bit of a scam - if you don't know what it does then you don't need one 'cause you wouldn't be able to set it up properly, and if you know what it does you either realize you don't need it or that you can do that stuff better with other gear.

Don't get one, especially for guitar amps.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by DimeShreder1
Hey guys, just purchased a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3 channel (non multiwatt) haven't really played around with it much yet, but with the time I have, first impression is, kind of fuzzy, just different. I have not bought pedals yet, but I am asking any tips or pedals recommendations for this amp, I play in a Metalcore band I just want the amp to have more attack, more "All That remains" sound. Any information would help, pedals? Also considering building a rack. Yay or nah to sonic Maximizer, heard a 5153 with one, really tightened the sound up, brought everything in I suppose. Thanks guys.

Congrats on your new amp

Did you buy it new or used? Did you play it first with your guitar?

Quote by Fryderyczek

The Rectos are great for metalcore. I should know. I have one and I play metalcore from time to time. The SpiderValve does not have a 6505 setting as has already been pointed out. And I know you've retracted since but your comment about the amp's EQ sure reads as if you are referencing the Recto.

Bottom line - please stop cranking out bad advice. We've asked you before to stop so please stop.

Quote by Shredx
Try a new cab, probably with V30's. And an OD infront of the amp to tighten it up. Then possibly look at other pedals - but you shouldnt need that many for metal core

This is solid advice and is short and sweet.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Wat? No.

Please do not do this. If anything, turn the bass WAY down on that amp, as it's the cause of its looseness.

TBH, the 3-channel Recto is probably one of my least favorite amps I've ever owned. An overdrive to tighten up the low end will help, as will EL-34s in the power section, instead of 6L6s. An EQ in the loop could help get rid of some of the flub, too. A different cab, with speakers that produce more in the high-mids, might help - I have no experience with the one you're using currently, though, so I have no idea if it'd be a large upgrade to something with V30s in it... Lots of people like oversized cabs, but I think they work against them on a 3-channel; something smaller, similar in dimension to the Mesa Standard cab would be better than the OS. However, a 3-channel will never sound as tight as a 5150/6505, which sound more like what you're looking for...

+1

I recently got a Standard (or Traditional) Rectifier cab with Vintage 30s and I can validate this. After much research I would avoid the Oversized cabs as well.

I use a Digitech Bad Monkey (tubescreamer clone) in front of my amp with the Gain on '0' and Level on '10' and that's the way to go. I have a dual channel Single Rec so I don't have tube rectification but for what I'm doing with this amp, tight metal-core sh*t, diode rectification seems fine. Again, when we talk about rectifying we are talking about the power section of the amp - not the preamp or phase inverter or output sections of the amp.

Also, we all know you don't like the 3 channel rectos Derek but let's just be happy for the guy OK, even though we both know he should have come here for 'what amp?' advice first.

Quote by Robbgnarly

+1

My amp settings are something like -

Solo = 12 noon
Output = 10am
Master = 9:30
Pres = 11:30
Bass = 11
Mid = 12:30
Treble = 1pm

So pretty even and 'neutral' EQ there.

Quote by Robbgnarly

This is his thread

Oh, and TS (Dimeshredder1) an old friend of mine who no longer posts here drew up this diagram of how the Sonic Maximizer works. I love it. That said, a standard EQ pedal in the effects loop will work wonders. I use a Danelectro Fish n Chips 7 band EQ. $35 (sounds just as good as the $100 MXR 10 band.)

Bartdevil Metal's diagram on a BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 24, 2015,
As has been mentioned before, putting a tubescreamer (or similar) overdrive in front will help tighten the amp up a bit. You may want to consider an MXR 10 band eq in the loop to cut some of the low end boomy-ness if the onboard EQ isn't enough.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
The trick to getting any Recto to sound great is to turn the volume up. Most of the fizzy, buzzy bees comments you read are accurate at low volumes, but as the volume increases they get more percussive and once you get the output up above 11:00 they really come to life.

Tightening a Recto is pretty easy and an EMG 81 in the bridge has always served me well. If an active pickup isn't your thing then lay off the bass knob. I usually run mine around 9:00-10:00 with passives.

Alternatively, reshape the sound with an OD. Lots of people have already explained this. I prefer the Maxon OD 808 for this purpose.

Lastly, Google Ola Englund and watch his Recto demos. He typically shows his amp/pedal settings so you can copy him until you figure out what works best for you.