Hey guys,

I'm planning to do the effects loop mod to my 6505+ 112. Here's a link to what I'm planning: http://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200197#p200197

Anyway, for anyone unaware, one major flaw of this amp is that when you plug anything into the effects loop, it sounds like crap. The loop is buffered and it's not a good buffer; it robs low-end and seems to add fizz and general solid state-sounding crappyness. I've been able to compensate with my MXR 10-band in the loop, and make it sound great. But I keep wondering how much better it might sound with the loop buffering bypassed and then still run the MXR in the loop.

All the mod is is to bypass two resistors and link them with a wire. My question is -- is there any particular gauge of wire that I need to use? My thinking is that the effects loop should be at line level and I would merely use a small, coated wire, of no particular specification -- but I wanted to check first. Thanks for any advice!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Won't matter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If the mod only consists in skipping a couple resistors before the fx loop the difference will be close to nothing, but that doesn't by any meas mean that you'd be bypassing the fx loop buffer.

If you want to do that you have to remove more stuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
If the mod only consists in skipping a couple resistors before the fx loop the difference will be close to nothing, but that doesn't by any meas mean that you'd be bypassing the fx loop buffer.

If you want to do that you have to remove more stuff.

Read the link. He's fine.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Maybe the combo is different from the head, but I can't say I've ever noticed a difference with the loop on or off.

The one thing I've noticed is that with a volume pedal in the loop of my head, I cant completely kill the signal. There's always some that bleeds through. I don't know if all amps do that.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
Maybe the combo is different from the head, but I can't say I've ever noticed a difference with the loop on or off.

The one thing I've noticed is that with a volume pedal in the loop of my head, I cant completely kill the signal. There's always some that bleeds through. I don't know if all amps do that.

I haven't heard of the problem with the 120 watt heads -- only the 112 combo. They are different in that regard. Peavey put a buffer in the loop that is definitely not transparent. You notice it even by just putting a patch cable between the send and return.

I really only notice it with distortion. Without the effects loop, it sounds meaty with a reasonable amount of fizz. But as soon as you plug the effects loop in, it's like A LOT more fizz is added, and low-end is cut. It's like some of the harmonic content is missing too -- like a solid state distortion. With my 10-band EQ, I can improve the hell out of that problem, but I'd rather go back to the amp's natural sound, and THEN still tweak it for the better with my MXR.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood