Hey GG&A,

I'm looking for a volume pedal for post-rock and for volume swells. I do have a Boss FV-500H, but its quite bulky. I'm looking for something that maybe isn't so robust (more for home/studio use right now), doesn't suck tone, and has full sweep in the pedal, and not just in the last 1/4 of travel. Stereo outs aren't necessary, though a tuner out would be nice to have but isn't a deal breaker either.

Budget is under $100CAD, though I can stretch that if need be.

I was looking into the EB VP Jr., but apparently they suck tone quite a bit and don't swell very evenly across the travel of the pedal, but I guess that those can be modded out of it.

Any ideas guys? Thanks.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I had the Ernie Ball VP Jr and I don't remember any tone suckage or poor swells. That said, I was pretty new to guitar at that time and may just not have had enough experience to know the difference. I'd give it a try though.
If you want something less bulky, Boss have recently announced a smaller volume pedal:
http://www.bossus.com/products/fv-30h_30l

Or the AMT Little Loud mouth: http://www.thomann.de/gb/amt_llm_2_zero.htm
I haven't tried either of these but I have the AMT Wah and it seems well built and is the size of a standard Boss stompbox. So it's much smaller than the CryBaby Wah I replaced it with.
I have a VP Jr. It will only suck tone if you use the wrong one. If you have an active pickup instrument or are using it in the FX loop of your amp for purely volume swells (no gain swells) than you want the 25k version. Passive pickups in front of the amp calls for the 250k version.

Though I will say yes, it doesn't have an even sweep but you get used to it in a day or so. It's quite logarithmic in that the first 75% of the sweep does about 40% of the volume and the last 25% of the sweep hits the other 60% of the volume.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I have a VP Jr. It will only suck tone if you use the wrong one. If you have an active pickup instrument or are using it in the FX loop of your amp for purely volume swells (no gain swells) than you want the 25k version. Passive pickups in front of the amp calls for the 250k version.

Though I will say yes, it doesn't have an even sweep but you get used to it in a day or so. It's quite logarithmic in that the first 75% of the sweep does about 40% of the volume and the last 25% of the sweep hits the other 60% of the volume.

There is a taper switch inside the pedal that lets you get even volume adjustment across the whole sweep of the pedal.
Okay, thanks for the information everyone. It sounds like I'll likely go for a 25k VP Jr then.

Post-rockers, what do you guys use for a volume pedal? The VP Jr seems to be pretty popular for most musicians.

Also, I'm fairly certain I have a scratchy pot on my Boss FV500H, what would I do to fix that? I got a can of air that I was going to spray at the pot and hopefully fix that. Any other suggestions besides replacing the pot entirely?

Thanks again guys.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
Okay, thanks for the information everyone. It sounds like I'll likely go for a 25k VP Jr then.

Post-rockers, what do you guys use for a volume pedal? The VP Jr seems to be pretty popular for most musicians.

Also, I'm fairly certain I have a scratchy pot on my Boss FV500H, what would I do to fix that? I got a can of air that I was going to spray at the pot and hopefully fix that. Any other suggestions besides replacing the pot entirely?

Thanks again guys.

You could try some Deoxit. Or really just any electric contact cleaner. You can get that stuff at any hardware or home improvement store. Canned air won't do anything and DO NOT use WD40.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by xero1123
There is a taper switch inside the pedal that lets you get even volume adjustment across the whole sweep of the pedal.

Also, the VP Jr 25k does not have this switch. I just checked.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Contact cleaner is what you need.

I've only used two volume pedals, one was a vintage Morley Power Wah, this bad boy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morley-PWF-Power-Wah-Fuzz-Vintage-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-Tel-Ray-Electronics-/171731767544

Not cheap these days, but I loved it. No tone problems, it works on a light bulb, not a volume pot. Plus it had a good power boost, either clean or overdrive, and a wah that was killer. It died an ugly death years ago.

The one I'm using now is a Schaller that uses a volume pot, I've had it 25 years or more with no problems at all.

A friend used a Ernie Ball volume pedal that I liked pretty well.

Some of the newer Morley pedals are less expensive, all work on a light bulb. Some have good power boosters, the wah usually has a good reputation, both built into one pedal too, but some don't have a great boost/overdrive.

This is their newer version, if you don't like the boost, just don't use it. Volume pedal and wah in these are usually pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morley-PWA-Pro-Series-Wah-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-PD-9767-/271810317705

They make several versions, a little poking around and you can find different ones, I'm not sure but they might also make one that's just a volume pedal. Their Bad Horsie is well liked as a wah but I don't know if it is also a volume pedal, never played with one. Can you tell I'm a Morley fan?
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...