Page 1 of 2
How was it?

I'm really keen to go to a concert on Saturday but none of my friends are into the band. Experiences? Thoughts? Is it as shit as going to a movie alone?

Haven't bought a ticket yet.
West Ham United
nah. there are always really cool concerts that i want to go to but none of my friends share my taste in music, so i end up not going unless i can drag some along.
hey donkey

and nope, only with friends or family for me. I'm sure it'll be fun though, it's not like you talk at concerts anyway. Go and enjoy the music and atmosphere, maybe you'll meat some cool people before/after the show.
I went to see La Dispute and The Menzingers alone because I couldn't find a friend who wanted to go with me. It wasn't completely awful, and the people around me were friendly, but it would have been much better going with someone I knew. On the plus side, the show was awesome.
I pride myself on my humility.
When I was sixteen I went to a Rod Stewart concert in Toronto alone. It would have been even worse if I had brought my mom with me, though. That would probably be even more awkward.

It was a good concert but I missed my gf in the States so much, and of course, a lot of Rod Stewarts songs are love songs so it was really sucky. All I could do was think of her and wished she was there.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by ehbacon
hey donkey

and nope, only with friends or family for me. I'm sure it'll be fun though, it's not like you talk at concerts anyway. Go and enjoy the music and atmosphere, maybe you'll meat some cool people before/after the show.

Hey dude

Yeah I reckon the atmosphere would be awesome plus I'm into the music, not like you need people with you to enjoy music. I'm not sure how easy it would be to make friends at a concert though considering the music is fkn loud, feel like it would be as productive as having a conversation at a club.
West Ham United
Quote by ehbacon
... maybe you'll meat some cool people before/after the show.

yeah maybe you'll meat some people

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I've been to a couple of concerts alone. they've all been cool experiences. it's possible to meet people and have conversations and stuff. I like being social so I'll strike up conversations. makes it all a better experience

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Not been to concerts per se but I go to open mic nights alone, mostly because I don't know anyone that likes them, and it's also better for me because when I'm playing it makes me feel better playing in front of strangers.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I go to shows alone all the time. It's actually great. I recommend it.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Its usually preferable to go with people, it can feel awkward standing by yourself between bands and stuff, but ive never regretted going to a show alone, so if you can afford the ticket and like the music my advice would be go. At worst you feel a little alone during the breaks (but you might anyway if you were just staying home) but you still see the show, and at best you have a great time, meet some people or maybe meet the band. Had some really good times and met some awesome musicians when I couldnt find anyone to come along with me, just cause I put myself out there.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
I never saw it as a weird thing to do and found it weird when I realized everyone else did.

I've only done it twice for Silverstein (August Burns Red was the headline though) and Red.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Mar 24, 2015,
I have only ever been attended a concert with a group of people, however, I have almost always separated from the group and spent almost the entire show going solo and meeting up after.

It can be nice to just enjoy the music surrounded by hundreds of people and knowing none of them, but it is also cool to share awesome concert moments with your friends.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
When we had this thread in the past the consensus was that it was fine to go alone. You can't really talk during the show anyway, just experience it yourself.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I saw Tool by myself and it was awesome, didn't have to worry about organising my lazy arse friends to get there etc.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I've never gone to a concert alone and I probably won't unless I know the band very well
It's weird if you're like 15
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Done it several times, no shits given

Quote by Marcus 90
i always go to concerts alone, because no one likes the same bands as me, where i live.

So all these bands are playing a concert just for you? That can't be an efficient way to build a fanbase...
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Last edited by metacarpi at Mar 24, 2015,
Only once but I was planning on meeting this chick there. Then one of her grandparents went to the hospital so she had to bail, or that was her excuse idk. It was gwar and ended up being the most fun show I've went to though.
Done it once, doing it again next month. Wasn't bad. I'll only go to a concert alone if I desperately want to see them, so it's something I only really do for my favourite bands.
If it's a real good band, it's great! You'll meet likeminded people while waiting to get into the venue and you don't have to bother about finding your friend after the show. But it's nice for bigger gigs, don't go alone to see a local band at the pub.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by King Donkey
How was it?

I'm really keen to go to a concert on Saturday but none of my friends are into the band. Experiences? Thoughts? Is it as shit as going to a movie alone?

Haven't bought a ticket yet.

you're just sitting in the dark in silence, what difference does it make if someone is with you or not? maybe if it's something deep, you can talk about it afterwards but you can do that any time if they've already seen it.

with concerts, it's fine unless you don't think you can handle standing around by yourself for like 15-30 mins during set changes. if you're in the mood to be sociable, you can make some friends there instead of waiting in boredom.

personally, I go to pretty much everything alone as I see enough shows that it would be a massive hassle trying to find someone to tag along all the time. It's pretty nice being able to just put your coat on and just go somewhere without having to consider other's preferences or time constraints.

If you like the band and the ticket price is fair for that amount of like, just go to the show. You have to be right into the crowd and really enjoy the band though, as you won't have a friend to distract yourself with should the bands be meh in anyway. By myself, I tend to arrive late to skip the first few supports if I'm definitely not into them for this reason, with a friend I'd arrive early and just drink and chat.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Once and it was before i started drinking so it wasnt as fun as going with friends, but if id been drunk i probably wouldnt even notice being alone, so go for it
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
I've been to many concerts by myself. If a band I love are coming to my town but none of my friends don't want to go, I'm not just going to miss them

It's absolutely fine. Just turn up shortly before they're due on (around 8:30ish usually I guess) and there's minimal boredom/hanging around. Plus as you're alone it's usually easier to weave further forward.

Then just head home as usual after. It's not like you talk to your friends during the performance anyway.
I've seen all of the following alone:

Evile
Trivium/Dream Theater
Steven Wilson
Save Us From The Archon/Icarus The Owl/Stolas/Hail The Sun

Had a great experience at all four shows. Met Marco Minneman after the Steven Wilson show and various band members at the last show so that was pretty rad
Quote by metacarpi
Done it several times, no shits given

So all these bands are playing a concert just for you? That can't be an efficient way to build a fanbase...

That's not what i said, i just mean that alot of people where i live, don't really like or listen to Death metal, they mainly like pop music, so it's hard to find someone who likes the same bands to go to the concert with.
Quote by Marcus 90
That's not what i said, i just mean that alot of people where i live, don't really like or listen to Death metal, they mainly like pop music, so it's hard to find someone who likes the same bands to go to the concert with.

So why aren't you talking to these people who are at the concert? Odds are most of them are from the same area as you, so....
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Lol, you silly people and your 'talking to strangers' and 'meeting new people'!
What's next, acknowledging other people on public transport?!
Found out Cannibal Corpse was playing Chicago one night when I was down there for school. Thought, "Ah, wtf?" and went.

Ended up running into my friend, who happened to be a girl, and whom I happened to go to see Ani Difranco with as well!

I was like, "YOU LIKE C. CORPSE?!" and she's all like, "DUH!!"

Had a great time. We both went alone.
Went to an Iron Maiden concert sort of by myself once. I bought my ticket way later than my friends so i was sitting in a different section. Still had a blast because the show was kickass and I ended up drinking and talking to the guys I ended up next to.
I often go to concerts alone, since most of my friends are ''normal'' people and don't like my goth and black metal stuff. But it's perfectly fine to me. I always try to be very early - because other loneley early birds will be there too. I'm a very talkative guy, thus it's pretty easy for me to engage in conversations with strangers. I go there by myself and leave with 3 or 4 new friends.

But I guess if you're more of a quiet person it won't be that easy for you.
Error 404 - Signature not available.
A couple years ago I went to a Jeff Mangum concert alone but met up there with nasty n8 who remains the only member of UG that I have had human contact with.

So yeah, i've been to a concert alone kindof.
I've done it once and it doesn't ruin the experience at all. Everybody focuses on the stage anyway and it's easy to make friends there. Going to a festival on the other hand is a horrible idea.
I have been to a few alone. It's something that does not bother me so the experience was similar to going with people, but if it's not your thing then consider if it would be worth it.
Page 1 of 2