Hey guys, im getting a new guitar soon, budget is about 800$, im in the st louis area, I play a lot of different stuff in a lot of different bands, one night ill be playing in a modern thrash/metal band, the next ill be playing SRV covers, and everything in between, a trem is a must for Hendrix and EVH stuff, im open to just about anything, as long as it can play a bunch of different genres and look the part as well, thanks.
Fender MIM Strat HSS, and replace the stock humbucker. Very versatile guitar, especially since you want a trem.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
A Strat trem won't cut it for EVH. Try and find maybe an ESP or Schecter with floyd & humbuckers + coil taps.

This would definitely work and in St Louis too (by chance lol)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ESP-LTD-MH-327-w-Seymour-Duncan-Coil-Tapping-Pickups-Floyd-Rose-27-Frets-/251530426715

But really this should be in the electric guitar section not gg&a
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 24, 2015,
Well...he probably needs a new amp.

In the meantime, consider the Godin Velocity

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODIN-VELOCITY-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-HIGH-FLAME-SHREDDER-/231471596452?pt=Guitar&hash=item35e4c843a4

And the Godin Freeway
www.ebay.com/itm/GODIN-Freeway-SA-Synth-Access-2-Voice-/321654015557?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ae412c645

I'm also the site's resident Reverend nut- I own 4 & want more. If you look at Reverb and eBay, you can find Reverend Jetstream HBs and Kingbolts for @$800-1000 new. If you find one used... They're very well made and tonally flexible: fellow UGer JustRooster had a Jetstream and said he could dial in tones ranging from a LP to a Strat.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/jetstream-hb/

www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/kingbolt/

www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/kingbolt-ra-fm/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 24, 2015,
uhh well.. EVH guitars anyone? They're really nice and probably will suit all those styles
http://www.evhgear.com/en-FI/gear/subpage/?partno=5107001590

I really liked dannyalcatraz's suggestion of the Freeway and Kingbolt, although, I'm not sure if their trem use would cut it for EVH stuff? Maybe it would.

Ibanez makes nice guitars, even nicer used.. like RG550. Those will definitely cut it for everything and the stock pickups + the trem aren't nearly as bad as the ones on new RG350 series. IF you're lucky, they go for the same money (RG550 used = RG350 new)
Though, the neck is wide and thin, so you'd probably have to get "used" to that. It took me like an hour of play to get used to my 7-string Ibanez UV from a fairly traditional C shape 6-string.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by BV-95
Fender MIM Strat HSS, and replace the stock humbucker. Very versatile guitar, especially since you want a trem.

That's what I have. Replaced the stock HB with Duncan Custom Custom TB11 and then a DiMarzio Super Distortion. Both work great.

Quote by Badmotorfingers
A Strat trem won't cut it for EVH.

Why not?
From an article about Guitar Player article about guitar myths:

“I need to float my Floyd Rose with lots of up-and -down movement to sound like Eddie Van Halen.”

Nope! EVH has his trem set to go down only—no up-trem. Think about it: That’s the only way his D-Tuna could drop his low string a whole-step without making the others go out of tune. Any whammy work on a Van Halen record where the pitch rises is the result of Ed depressing the bar first and then hitting the chord or harmonic.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^ What I came to post.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Maybe a PRS SE Custom 24? Or maybe a used S2 Custom 24? Or a used CE-24 if you can raise your budget a bit? I must admit I do have a bias towards PRS, though I haven't tried the S2. IMO, they can do pretty well everything that you'll want a guitar to do, minus divebombs.

What kind of amp(s) do you have though for achieving the sounds that you're going after?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
What kind of amp(s) do you have though for achieving the sounds that you're going after?

Friedman Pink Taco, EVH 5150 50w.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
From an article about Guitar Player article about guitar myths:

Haha yeah I hear people say that a lot, on the guitar I mainly use for VH stuff its stable and with a d-tuner, people are dumb sometimes haha.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Why not?

Why did EVH use a floyd then?
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Why did EVH use a floyd then?

He didnt for the first album, he used a strat trem, but from there on out he did use a floyd.
Quote by stayfrosty78
He didnt for the first album, he used a strat trem, but from there on out he did use a floyd.

actually in the studio eddie still used his old guitar with the fender trem on it up thru the third album.
Quote by monwobobbo
actually in the studio eddie still used his old guitar with the fender trem on it up thru the third album.

Did not know that, thanks for the info dude.
I'd suggest a "normal" looking superstrat then. Check out Jackson. They have a bunch of Dinkies (bolt on) and Soloist (neck thru) that have all sorts of pickup configs. I'm thinking maybe a HSH with a not too flashy finish would work well.

Or the HSS Strat.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by stayfrosty78
Did not know that, thanks for the info dude.

no problem got that from an old interview with eddie. plenty of guys have used a regular trem for some fairly crazy stuff (me included) floyds make it easier and there are certainly some things that will work way better with them.
Quote by monwobobbo
no problem got that from an old interview with eddie. plenty of guys have used a regular trem for some fairly crazy stuff (me included) floyds make it easier and there are certainly some things that will work way better with them.

Yeah, Ive used a few non locking trems, such as wilkinson, and it worked pretty well, but I just like being able to do crazy stuff when i want haha, and I just like knowing for sure that its still in tune after.
i would look into a used prestige. or buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-USA-EVH-Wolfgang-Special-Electric-Guitar-Gold-w-OHSC-/231509835904?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e70fc080

i have two peavey wolfgangs (MIA) and i love them. i like my prestiges more though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would look into a used prestige. or buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-USA-EVH-Wolfgang-Special-Electric-Guitar-Gold-w-OHSC-/231509835904?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e70fc080

i have two peavey wolfgangs (MIA) and i love them. i like my prestiges more though.

Im pretty meh on Ibanez, I have nothing against them at all, but Im just not a fan of the wizard necks, im cool with jackson, esp, ect, but the Ibanez's ive played are just a bit to thin for my liking. A friend of mine had a J custom, played beautifully, it had a bit thicker neck, it was perfect, to bad it got stolen.
Quote by stayfrosty78
Im pretty meh on Ibanez, I have nothing against them at all, but Im just not a fan of the wizard necks, im cool with jackson, esp, ect, but the Ibanez's ive played are just a bit to thin for my liking. A friend of mine had a J custom, played beautifully, it had a bit thicker neck, it was perfect, to bad it got stolen.

their stock pickups suck, and the necks are thin. if you don't like the neck you don't want one. with good pickups, you can't really say they are thin.

seriously check out the peavey i linked you to.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/