Hey

I have no trouble using an effective tremolo techinque for the first 5 strings, but I don't understand how to be as fast on the last E string, without picking near the bridge.

I don't understand where people lay their right hand when they do tremolo picking on the E string. I have yet to see one cover video where people pick elsewhere than the standard middle of the guitar head.

Does it make sense to pick (VERY) near the bridge if the song is only tremolo, like SHadowFear from Vader? Thxxx 4 help!!
It'd be best for you to post a video of you tremolo picking on the high then low strings. It's the same idea for the low E as it is on the other 5 so it's obviously some kind of technique issue. You just rest your hand on the body of the guitar as you would do when playing anything on the low E.
I find it easiest to tremelo pick on the low E, A, and D strings because they have more tension and allow the pick to glide back and forth rather than "catching" on the strings as much.

The most important aspect of tremelo picking is to be relaxed and use the smallest amount of motion possible. When you mentioned having to pick closer to the bridge, that suggests to me that you might be using too much force and/or tension. I tend to tremelo pick the lower strings up closer to the neck pickup and gradually move closer to the bridge as I go toward the lighter gauged strings to maintain a consistency in feel.

I believe there is also a sweet spot that everyone has regarding a perfect balance of string tension and comfort with where your hand rests. It might depend on the guitar too. For me, it is closer to the neck pickup. You might have to just play around with various positions until you find what works for you. But also keep in mind that if you're too close to the bridge, it's difficult to palm-mute the strings which is an essential technique in death metal tremelo-picking.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
my hand floats away from the bridge and strings almost completely while doing any kind of fast tremolo picking. only my forearm touching the guitar body, and the feel of the pick hitting the strings, tells me whether my hand is in the right place. and i pick mainly in the same spot that i'd normally pick, more or less.

picking with your hand hovering feels weird and impossible if you haven't been doing it, but give it some time, and it'll let you play much faster. i can't play certain Emperor songs without doing it.

*okay, i read wrong. you mean high E and not low E? wouldn't the high E be easier because you have all the other strings you can rest your picking hand on?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Mar 24, 2015,
Quote by KailM
I find it easiest to tremelo pick on the low E, A, and D strings because they have more tension.

Not really, most strings have similar tension, usually the g or d is highest tension, sometimes even the hi e depending on what gauge
Try learning some black metal riffs, even if you don't like the music it's great tremolo practice. Especially because the riffs are played open (no palm muting) it works different muscles in the wrist, most metal players tend to acquire a pigeon hole with their tremolo picking being really good on the low string due to using palm muting as an anchor and pivot point. This leads to tremolo on the higher strings where tremolo picking is seldom used to being weak and uncontrollable.

Mayhem - Funeral Fog
Mayhem - Life Eternal
Mayhem - Freezing Moon
Burzum - Ea, Lord Of The Depths
Burzum - Jesu Dod
Emperor - I Am The Black Wizards
Emperor - Into The Infinity Of Thoughts
Emperor - Cosmic Keys To My Creations & Times
Dissection - The Somberlain
Deafheaven - Dream House

The other trick to tremolo is the Paul Gilbert method of alternate picking as fast as you can and then as slow as you can. This will help build control of the wrist.

Some people also tremolo with the thumb and index finger, I don't like this method because I find that although the wrist takes longer to get acclimated to the speed of picking, you get more control from using your wrist and.
Try keeping your fingers on your picking hand together.

Remember to use a metronome and to play only as fast as you can without pain, carpal tunnel syndrome is no fun.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
oh and on top of the previously recommended black metal, i really recommend Amon Amarth for tremolo practice. the riffs are generally much simpler to play, but a lot of them have sustained tremolo picking at nontrivial speeds and on various strings, so they're really good practice. and some are slower so you can ramp up with those.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Thank you for the replies, everyone. After having that problem poisoning my mind for days, I have found the way I'm most comfortable with for tremolo picking: making my last two fingers of my right hand touch the body of the guitar
Quote by Tempoe
Not really, most strings have similar tension, usually the g or d is highest tension, sometimes even the hi e depending on what gauge

Maybe so. But the larger strings at least have more mass and the pick is less likely to catch on them. The hardest string for me to trem pick is the high e, because I really have to lighten my attack. It has a much different feel than the low E, A, and even the D string.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood