I started practicing double thumbing the other day and I ended up ripping up my skin. Normally, I just play through any cuts or anything but some reason the thumb hurts more than usual. Is this a sign of a bad technique? If not, I assume that I'll eventually build a callous so what can I do until the wound heals? Super glue? Tape it up?

Edit but not really an edit: That picture is massive and I'm now conscious of how clean my thumb is.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Last edited by Rawshik at Mar 24, 2015,
Don't play through cuts.

And I'm going to say it's a technique issue. With double thumbing, slap through the string, so your thumb rests onto the next string, then sweep back so the nail hits the first string.

Practice with open strings, just try and get an even volume one both hits. Think of it like alternate picking with a plectrum.
It is not necessarily a sign of bad technique. Perhaps you just need to build up a callous there. Do not try to play through it, unless you have a major gig scheduled. Super glue is an old musician's trick, but you must never, ever put super glue over a fresh wound! If you do, it will not heal, and the chemicals in the glue could cause an infection. Once it heals, try wearing a band-aid or surgical tape around your thumb until you build up skin of iron. Then you will be fine.

Of course, you could always give up slapping...
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
the first time i learned to thump/slap i went for like 4 hours and worked through the pain, and the next day had a NASTY blood blister. i couldn't practice for like 2 weeks after that, but when i did, there were no problems.

the up-stroke never gets comfortable IMO but i also have no nails so i'm a wimp
modes are a social construct
I ended up putting some duct tape over it to continue practicing. Wound is healed and I can play fine now without any tape or pain.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?