Ok so couple of weeks ago i got myself a new guitar (Ibanez RG721FM) and i can safely say i love the guitar and have officially caught what i call the "guitar gear bug" where you you have to keep buying stuff

Anyway my rig at the moment is

- Blackstar ID:30
- Ibanez RG721FM
- Tokai SG
- Dunlop Cry baby

I'm thinking about that the next logical step for me would be to get a better amp (this will be a couple of years away yet as i can't afford it right now, but no harm in educating myself)

Now my buget will be approx. £600 and i'll be mainly using it for bedroom practise plus the occasional jamming session, but as i don't know where i'm gonna be as a guitarist in 2 years it would be nice if the amp in question is giggable

I was thinking about going for a valve combo, but i'm open to suggestions, amp related or not

Should add that i'm mainly focusing on Hard Rock & Metal genres but i like jamming to Blues as well
Last edited by Tcrumpen at Mar 24, 2015,
If you plan on waiting a couple of years, I would see what comes out in that time. Based on what was shown at the 2015 NAMM, it seems like a lot of really great sounding tube amp heads are getting smaller and cheaper, which makes sense, since the entire music industry is moving towards the bedroom producer.

I'm calling it in the air right now: NAMM 2017, if not from Mesa/Boogie themselves, a Dual Rectifier-style 20W tube amp head that literally sounds just as good as dual rectifier but quieter for around $499-$599 retail.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
not much point in worrying about that now. if you won't be getting a new amp for 2 years then wait until you are much closer to getting it to ask. as you said you aren't sure where you'll be playing wise by then. obviously what you are playing will be a big factor in deciding. the other thing of course is that who know what will be available by then. what may be a good choice now could be yesterdays news by then.
Quote by monwobobbo
not much point in worrying about that now. if you won't be getting a new amp for 2 years then wait until you are much closer to getting it to ask. as you said you aren't sure where you'll be playing wise by then. obviously what you are playing will be a big factor in deciding. the other thing of course is that who know what will be available by then. what may be a good choice now could be yesterdays news by then.

this si true but it could be things like

"Looking into getting a tube amp" as i know very little about amps that would give me adequate time to educate myself, no?
Quote by Tcrumpen
this si true but it could be things like

"Looking into getting a tube amp" as i know very little about amps that would give me adequate time to educate myself, no?

of course eductating your self on gear is an all the time thing. i check out what ever i can whenever i can even if not in the market. just saying take your time as things will change. your current setup dosn't seem bad so perhaps another pedal might be a more immediate consideration
Quote by monwobobbo
of course eductating your self on gear is an all the time thing. i check out what ever i can whenever i can even if not in the market. just saying take your time as things will change. your current setup dosn't seem bad so perhaps another pedal might be a more immediate consideration

I was thinking about getting a tube screamer, but would a screamer work well with a modelling style amp as mine sorta is
Quote by Tcrumpen
I was thinking about getting a tube screamer, but would a screamer work well with a modelling style amp as mine sorta is

Would it work? Yes. Would it achieve the sound you're going for with it? Probably not.

I think you should do what you've said, educate yourself about gear, learn what you really like about amps. Modelling amps are good at giving some guidance towards a tone you like, for example: If it's modelling a british and american voicing and you like the british one over the american one, you most likely want a british sounding amp, like Laney/Marshall/Orange/Vox. That is of course a rough generalization, but it worked for me!
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

didn't realize it was a modeling amp. as mentioned overdrives really don't work with modellers in the way they do with tube amps. since you have a wha already not sure what to recommend.
Quote by Tcrumpen

I'm thinking about that the next logical step for me would be

There is no "next logical step."

At this point you have everything you need to become an outstanding guitar player. More gear isn't going to do anything for you, but a lot of practice will.
Quote by Will Lane
Maybe one of the Blackstar tube combos? (20w or 40w)

yuck.

OP as dspellman says, hone your skills. that is the best thing.

for now, just cruise forums and learn and demo amps in guitar shops.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Surprised no one has mentioned this, but given the time frame you've laid out I say just go out there and play as much gear as you possibly can.

Unless you've been playing for quite a while already I pretty much guarantee your ear for tone will improve over the next couple years.

Playing nice gear also helps. An MG doesn't really sound that bad until you go and play something like a Dr. Z Mazerati, and then everything sounds like crap,
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
while you wait, a cheaper thing to try as you are getting acquainted with gear is speakers. Speakers are generally overlooked as part of the gear package, especially if you are starting out.

Do some speaker research as well, and see if you can pick up a nice Celestion or Eminence speaker to swap out in your amp, I bet you will be amazed what it does for your amp. One of the biggest disservices to SS amps is that they are perceived as cheap by the consumer, and so are made to sell on the cheap in stores, which means lower quality parts - which definitely means the speaker.

Many here would be surprised at the sounds you can get out of a Marshall MG with a good speaker - usually SS amps are seen as too cheap to bother upgrading the speaker, but try it out - it will get you some gear experience and may give your amp a new life for $100.
Quote by guitarsngear
while you wait, a cheaper thing to try as you are getting acquainted with gear is speakers. Speakers are generally overlooked as part of the gear package, especially if you are starting out.

Do some speaker research as well, and see if you can pick up a nice Celestion or Eminence speaker to swap out in your amp, I bet you will be amazed what it does for your amp. One of the biggest disservices to SS amps is that they are perceived as cheap by the consumer, and so are made to sell on the cheap in stores, which means lower quality parts - which definitely means the speaker.

Many here would be surprised at the sounds you can get out of a Marshall MG with a good speaker - usually SS amps are seen as too cheap to bother upgrading the speaker, but try it out - it will get you some gear experience and may give your amp a new life for $100.

Surely asking a tech to swap out a speaker in my amp would cost a pretty penny, although not very technically difficult (just re-soldering two wires, i could do that in my sleep) when it comes to music i like tog et it done right
Quote by Tcrumpen
Surely asking a tech to swap out a speaker in my amp would cost a pretty penny, although not very technically difficult (just re-soldering two wires, i could do that in my sleep) when it comes to music i like tog et it done right

nah not expensive and you can do it yourself. the speaker itself can run some money but the installation doesn't.
Quote by monwobobbo
nah not expensive and you can do it yourself. the speaker itself can run some money but the installation doesn't.

I don't have the tools needed
Quote by BV-95

I'm calling it in the air right now: NAMM 2017, if not from Mesa/Boogie themselves, a Dual Rectifier-style 20W tube amp head that literally sounds just as good as dual rectifier but quieter for around $499-$599 retail.

You are high as hell

Sorry Mesa is not going to make any cheaper amps than they already do.

All you need is a screw driver or small socket. They are common tools pretty much everyone has in their homes. If you don't own any, borrow your neighbor or friends.

You should be able to swap the speaker in 20min even if you've never done it before.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 25, 2015,
i am not sure how a speaker swap would do with a modeling amp. if you want to use the modeling amp for a variety of different tone, you would want a flat frequency response speaker. i wouldn't bother to be honest though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/