Hey guys has anyone done any work with the GLS audio clones of Shure Microphones?

Specifically the Shure SM58 versus the GLS ES-58

And the Shure SM57 Versus the GLS ES-57.

Yes, GLS is an offbrand.

Here's a video that is really pushing me towards the cheaper GLS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wrdmt0yxB4

Who has experience with both and can tell me what I'm really giving up going with the off brand?
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
You can say that sound similar all you want, what you look for is build quality. The GLS will only last you so long.

I would suggest at least going with the Samson CS microphone. It is $40, and you get two capsules - the CS-1 vocal capsule which competes with the 58, and the CS-2 instrument capsule that competes with the 57. It sounds way better than the GLS. Here it is in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqpx0ei_5n8
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
I'm not saying they sound similar, the ES is considerably brighter, but I like that.

I'll look into the Samson line. I've got a Samson M-10 with a busted grill from my childhood that I use for acoustic guitar and stuff, it sounds alright.

Edit: I'm sorry for my hastiness in reading that, comes with interchangeable capsules?

SUCH A GOOD DEAL.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Last edited by snappedstrings6 at Mar 24, 2015,
Quote by snappedstrings6
I'm not saying they sound similar, the ES is considerably brighter, but I like that.

I'll look into the Samson line. I've got a Samson M-10 with a busted grill from my childhood that I use for acoustic guitar and stuff, it sounds alright.

Edit: I'm sorry for my hastiness in reading that, comes with interchangeable capsules?

SUCH A GOOD DEAL.

Did you watch the video? It sounds really good for snare drums and guitar cabs to my ears. Definitely considering picking one up myself.
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Yeah I'm thinking about getting a two pack of those instead of buying one of the GLS ES-57 and one ES-58 when I order patching stuff from Amazon on Thursday!

Ed: And I did watch the video, they got a really nice sound out of that gear... Looking at the specs on the CS-2 I'm not super pleased with only reaching 8kHz frequency response but I guess my heart will go on if I decide to go with those guys.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Quote by snappedstrings6
Yeah I'm thinking about getting a two pack of those instead of buying one of the GLS ES-57 and one ES-58 when I order patching stuff from Amazon on Thursday!

Ed: And I did watch the video, they got a really nice sound out of that gear... Looking at the specs on the CS-2 I'm not super pleased with only reaching 8kHz frequency response but I guess my heart will go on if I decide to go with those guys.

Uhh, that must just be the vocal capsule. The instrument capsule DEFINITELY gets to 14 or 15khz.
Peavey 6505+ 112

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/microphones/dynamic-microphones/cs-mics/

No, the CS 2--the instrument only reaches (or claims to reach, whatever) 8kHz. It could be a mistake. The CS 1 vocal gets up to about 18kHz------Allegedly. I highly, highly doubt that it reaches those upper stratospheres.

Edit; I'll eat my words and also samson's website needs to correct this, because the manual has info that says both mics reach up to 18 kHz (again doubtful and in either case, most can barely hear that high.)
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

The GLS microphones are fairly well known for being excellent 57/58 clones with many (including our own MatrixClaw IIRC) preferring the GLS to the Shure in terms of sound
Thanks chatterbox. I'm leaning more towards the Samson CS just because they're so damn flexible, but when I'm ready to expand even further I'll probably add a pair of ES 58's unless I'm rolling in some real money.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

I'm with BV-95. It's not just about the sound though the GLS sounds fine. The Shure SM-58 sounds great but also has a reputation for being the most durable PA mic ever made. I have several Shure SM-58 mics and they are incredibly bullet proof and stand up to massive abuse. Not that I am hard on my mics but with PA mics in a club sh*t happens. My first SM-58 was purchased in 1977 and it's been on numerous road trips across the U.S. and has been subjected to all types of cold, heat and being dropped numerous times. I have replaced the dented ball at least three times and that 1977 SM-58 mic still works perfectly. I switched to a Shure 87A condenser for live jobs a few years ago but they are too expensive for normal PA use and I do have to baby them a little. In the end the SM-58 is the all round best mic ever made in my opinion.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 25, 2015,
^ We use the Shure 87A's for a lot of stuff where I work, they're quite likely my favorite sounding microphones all around, but the condensers go bad so easily and they're so skinny you can't really use them as a handheld, I'd be nervous to give one to a performer especially knowing that most of the people I work with are inebriated a large amount of the time I'm helping them.

I fully realize that SM58's will last much longer than any other microphone I could buy, all things aside, but I'm looking for mics to expand my inventory on a budget with minimal sacrifice to quality until I can afford to really beef up my gear to industry standard.

EDIT: Just ordered a Samson CS package with 2 of the Samson CS's, 2 Mic cables and some other shit, its coming on Wednesday.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Last edited by snappedstrings6 at Mar 26, 2015,
Last edited by Sheppola at Mar 29, 2015,
+1 on the Samson. I've used the Audix Shure competitor and I like it a touch better.
Try the low end AKGs D8000M, I've gotten pretty good results with these.
Senn e835 is probably best replacement for SM57 that is also a very capable vocal mic.
Sweet I'm really excited for my set of Samsons to come in, I haven't had a really extensive try out on behringer xm8500, but I've spoken through them at work they seem alright as far as responsiveness and everything... The guys I work with have a three or four e835's I might try sticking those in front of a cab sometime swapping one of my samsons for vox to see what we like better for instrument and vocal tone... I'm willing to tool around with different brands as long as i'm not paying terribly much
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Quote by BV-95
You can say that sound similar all you want, what you look for is build quality. The GLS will only last you so long.

I would suggest at least going with the Samson CS microphone. It is $40, and you get two capsules - the CS-1 vocal capsule which competes with the 58, and the CS-2 instrument capsule that competes with the 57. It sounds way better than the GLS. Here it is in action:

Having no experience with the Samson, I can't really comment on it sounding "way better" than the GLS, but I own several SM57s and SM58s and I like my GLS ES-57s on several sources over the SM57s, and they are built just as solidly as the real Shure

To be honest, if I had known about the ES-57s before I bought my Shures, I wouldn't have wasted 3 times as much on the Shure mics. The Shures do sound warmer than the GLS mics, but a few EQ cuts will get you very close, for $70 cheaper...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Having no experience with the Samson, I can't really comment on it sounding "way better" than the GLS, but I own several SM57s and SM58s and I like my GLS ES-57s on several sources over the SM57s, and they are built just as solidly as the real Shure

To be honest, if I had known about the ES-57s before I bought my Shures, I wouldn't have wasted 3 times as much on the Shure mics. The Shures do sound warmer than the GLS mics, but a few EQ cuts will get you very close, for $70 cheaper...

Sounds like me back in the day when I was trying to justify my purchase of a squier over a fender

...b-b-but...I like the neck on the squier better anyways... in some ways its actually better than the Fender...!!!
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95

Sounds like me back in the day when I was trying to justify my purchase of a squier over a fender

...b-b-but...I like the neck on the squier better anyways... in some ways its actually better than the Fender...!!!

My girlfriend has a Squier that has one of the best necks I've ever felt. Definitely doesn't sound as good as a nice Fender, though
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
My girlfriend has a Squier that has one of the best necks I've ever felt. Definitely doesn't sound as good as a nice Fender, though

Oh that is no lie dude, Squier necks feel amazing.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Just got one of the two Samson CS's I ordered, i think the company i'm ordering them from is gonna try to jip me out of one of them so i'm waiting to test them out but they're pretty beefy looking and quite pretty, definitely a lot more heavy duty than I expected.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Quote by snappedstrings6
Just got one of the two Samson CS's I ordered, i think the company i'm ordering them from is gonna try to jip me out of one of them so i'm waiting to test them out but they're pretty beefy looking and quite pretty, definitely a lot more heavy duty than I expected.

Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by diabolical
For the first month or so and then they start warping... Personal experience

I guess I wouldn't know, I've never owned one for more than a few months.

Had this Fender for almost a year now though and the ****er is as brilliant as the day I bought it
Peavey 6505+ 112

This Samson CS mic looks good; what's the verdict on them? I may be tempted to get a set since it's so cheap!
Quote by ThatGuy_17
This Samson CS mic looks good; what's the verdict on them? I may be tempted to get a set since it's so cheap!

GET ONE! I took a rip on them and they are tough and sound really goddamn good--WAY MORE heavy duty than I expected, I haven't intensively checked out the Cs2 capsule but the Cs1 picks up really well and I adore both capsules on my own voice--the Cs2 has a considerably warmer sound and the Cs1 sounds really, really, really close to an SM58. I'll continue to update and try to get a recording on them in awhile--I'm shite at recording but I'll put together something later today to show the vocal capsule.

ED: Here's a quick rip I did of that cheesy popular song, Riptide, I didn't spend anytime mixing--just brought the audio up to line level, flat EQ with the CS1 for vocals, and a touch of reverb from my mixer. Signal path: CS1>Peavey Mark III Series Stereo Mixing Console>Tape out>Behringer UCA202 U-Control interface>Audacity.

https://soundcloud.com/eric-vanhala-1/riptide-cover-samson-cs1-trial
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Last edited by snappedstrings6 at Apr 1, 2015,
Nice, sounds pretty clear for a $40 mic eh :p
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95
Nice, sounds pretty clear for a $40 mic eh :p

I'm definitely impressed, it comes up to par pretty well. I'm working on hounding the co. I ordered from to get what I actually ordered. They're ignoring my emails and I'm about to get all my info together and call them to get what them to send what they were selling when I ordered them.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.