Hey hey, so I've been playing guitar for near 6 years now, and in the last year in particular I've developed my hybrid picking quite considerably and it's becoming second nature in a lot of my playing.
That being said, I don't know too many artists that have a heavy focus on hybrid picking. The 2 guys that got me really in to it were Paul Waggoner and Mark Knopfler (although he doesn't exactly hybrid pick), but I'm looking to expand my horizons and find some music to challenge myself with the technique. I'd be willing to look in to any genre really, as I'm not too picky these days.
Any advice is appreciated and I'll look at whatever recommendations people have.

Thanks
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zLZzBJNHbpc

This ones pretty tricky. Also for the 1st string trying using your pinky on your left hand and for 2nd string your ring finger etc
Hope it helps!
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Mar 25, 2015,
Well, most of the music i listen to where i know that hybrid picking occurs is country and fusion. I'd recommend you take a look at Johnny Hiland, Brad Paisley, Albert Lee, Greg Koch, Chet Atkins and Joe Maphis catalog in regards to country players.

When it comes to fusion, some of the more modern players use hybrid picking quite a lot. Players like Tom Quayle, Martin Miller, Alex Hutchings and Alex Machacek might be interesting for you to check out. Especially Quayle, he is a big legato/hybrid player.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Cheers for the recommendations guys. I really liked that video Guitar137335. Definitely gonna check it out some more tomorrow, and Sickz i had a listen to all of those you listed. I'll definitely be looking more in to the Chet Atkins catalogue tomorrow. He was definitely the stand out amongst that list for me. Really cool style he has
Look at some Steve Morse stuff, solo aswell as with Deep Purple, he does lots of hybrid picking. He even plays Smoke On The Water in a hybrid style nowadays.
Error 404 - Signature not available.
Brent Hinds of Mastodon does quite a bit of hybrid picking if you want to hear a unique metal spin on it. The best example I can think of being in their song Divinations. I believe he started out on the banjo.
Something that I actually do a fair bit, although I'm by far not a good hybrid picker and I don't practice enough, is to re-pick licks that my fretting hand already knows so they use hybrid picking. Mainly this is going to be things that were sweep picking or some economy picking ideas before, but you can get some surprising mileage out of doing this with things you might not have expected.

Obviously they're not going to sound like idiomatic hybrid picking but it'll work your technique at least and give you more sonic options for things you already play.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by vayne92
Hey hey, so I've been playing guitar for near 6 years now, and in the last year in particular I've developed my hybrid picking quite considerably and it's becoming second nature in a lot of my playing.
That being said, I don't know too many artists that have a heavy focus on hybrid picking. The 2 guys that got me really in to it were Paul Waggoner and Mark Knopfler (although he doesn't exactly hybrid pick), but I'm looking to expand my horizons and find some music to challenge myself with the technique. I'd be willing to look in to any genre really, as I'm not too picky these days.
Any advice is appreciated and I'll look at whatever recommendations people have.

Thanks

Eric Gales ( rock/blues), Eric Johnson ( many styles), Vinnie Moore ( neo classical/shred/rock), and Albert Lee ( country), Guthrie Govan ( everything imaginable), come to mind. Basically every country lead player for the last 20 years is using that technique now. Jazz players tend to use it as well.
Danny Gatton is the best and he has instructional videos.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Arron_Zacx
No one mentions Tommy Emmanuel? Personally think he's one of the best at hybrid picking and on the acoustic guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPkQn5nDTZs
It's a cover but a pretty good one.

He's primarily a fingerstyle player, he uses a thumb pick, which is slightly different.

That being said, he's amazing - probably the best fingerstyle acoustic player out there from technical standpoint.