Its doing it on all the strings but only all the frets past the 14th fret. When I go to bend a string, the note just kind of just goes dead and makes an annoying squeaking sound. I know its not fret buzz because my I have my action at a medium height. Is it the neck or what?
It sounds like your notes are "Fretting Out;" which is a very annoying phenomenon that can be caused by a number of factors. The fact that all of your strings are fretting out beyond the 14th fret strongly suggests that it is a neck curvature issue. Your truss rod probably needs a tweak.

You did not say what type/model of guitar you play. Some guitars are almost notorious for fretting out. Example: I had a '52 Reissue Fender Telecaster that used to fret out on the first three strings beyond the 12th fret. I knew the neck curve was dead on, so it drove me crazy. Some people suggested shimming the neck. Instead, I removed the vintage correct/traditional Fender Telecaster bridge/bridge plate and replaced it with a very modern, six-saddle Telecaster bridge and bridge plate. This change instantly and completely eliminated all of the fretting out with that guitar. So the problem can be very model/hardware specific.

Best advice is this: start with the easily-fixed probable causes, and then move onto the more difficult fixes, if necessary.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
It sounds like your notes are "Fretting Out;" which is a very annoying phenomenon that can be caused by a number of factors. The fact that all of your strings are fretting out beyond the 14th fret strongly suggests that it is a neck curvature issue. Your truss rod probably needs a tweak.
y.

Thanks, yeah that sounds like my problem. So if I was to try adjusting the truss rod would I need to loosen or tighten it. My guitar is just a cheap no brand guitar but Ive had it for almost a year with no issues so its not a setup problem.
Last edited by hurricane0202 at Mar 25, 2015,
Quote by FatalGear41

You did not say what type/model of guitar you play. Some guitars are almost notorious for fretting out. Example: I had a '52 Reissue Fender Telecaster that used to fret out on the first three strings beyond the 12th fret. I knew the neck curve was dead on, so it drove me crazy. Some people suggested shimming the neck. Instead, I removed the vintage correct/traditional Fender Telecaster bridge/bridge plate and replaced it with a very modern, six-saddle Telecaster bridge and bridge plate. This change instantly and completely eliminated all of the fretting out with that guitar. So the problem can be very model/hardware specific.

Best advice is this: start with the easily-fixed probable causes, and then move onto the more difficult fixes, if necessary.

Does the truss rod affect the frets beyond 14th at all? I noticed truss rod adjustments have the greatest effect on frets 5-12 tops, on frets 1-4 the issue is usually the nut and past the 12th fret its probably the frets themselves not being even or just way too low action.

Just my thoughts.
Quote by tappooh
Does the truss rod affect the frets beyond 14th at all? I noticed truss rod adjustments have the greatest effect on frets 5-12 tops, on frets 1-4 the issue is usually the nut and past the 12th fret its probably the frets themselves not being even or just way too low action.

Just my thoughts.

If the neck is bowed in the opposite direction than it could help. Normally a neck is going to bow towards the strings cause thats where the tension is pulling it, however it could bend the other direction for a few reasons (one being switching to lighter strings). In this case an truss rod adjustment could help.

Also take a look to make sure the strings arent rubbing on anything else, like maybe a neck pickup that is too high.

On a cheap no name guitar the frets just might not be level either which would probably cost you more money than it's worth to fix.
Quote by hurricane0202
My guitar is just a cheap no brand guitar but Ive had it for almost a year with no issues so its not a setup problem.

It most certainly IS a setup problem.
Without knowing more, it's possible that your nut is cut too high, that you've got some goofy amount of relief cranked into the truss rod, or that the neck angle is off.
Quote by dspellman
It most certainly IS a setup problem.
Without knowing more, it's possible that your nut is cut too high, that you've got some goofy amount of relief cranked into the truss rod, or that the neck angle is off.

Well I adjusted the truss rod, and I got all the notes from 14-22 working perfectly but its still doing it when i bend the strings on a couple frets.
Some of that is probably just uneven frets, common problem on cheap guitars.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not