So I hear most people say "X pedal should come first" for many different types of FX, yet the pedals I own are all often cited to come first, so how should I order these? This is my current chain

Tuner - I assume this is fine to stay first
Noise gate - as I have the G string II, it does need a good clean signal to detect the guitar, so I figure this needs to be straight after the tuner
Wah
Octaver
Overdrive

It's mainly the last 3 I get confused about, as they also should get as clean a signal as possible. What effect would putting the OD before the wah and octaver create? I figured there'd be worse tracking if I octave a boosted signal? The wah's placement just eludes me...
Gibson SG (Goddess - Violet Burst / Standard - Alpine White)
Laney Ironheart 120W and Celestion V30's

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
(Loop) ISP Decimator G String II > Hardwire Supernatural
Voodoo Labs PP2
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 25, 2015,
Your pedal order looks fine to me. Pitch modulators (wah and octavers) produce artefacts in the audio, which you'd want to be masked by the distortion.
I'd leave it as is, but maybe try the Wah last. Just because some people like Wah after distortion. It's just a different sound. I personally would prefer it the way you have it listed though. Also maybe try the noise gate last. Just to do it. If you leave the overdrive on a lot of the time, noise gate at the Ed could help cut out some unwanted noise from the overdrive itself.

But generally speaking, you seem to have it right.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I had helped someone else with this issue a while ago and cited this link: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/GG-050-EffectsPedalOrder.php

So, reading from that (and remembering that there are NO rules), what I would have the order as: Guitar ---> Tuner ---> Wah ---> Overdrive ---> Amp, Effects send ---> Octaver ---> Noise Gate ---> Effects return.

You also need to consider whether your wah has a built - in boost (like the 535Q, not sure about the 105Q Bass, the name is similar enough for me to believe it does). If it does, you would need to consider whether you want to "Boost the overdrive" (wah ---> overdrive) or "Drive the boost" (overdrive ---> wah).

Note: if you aren't planning on using the effects loop, leave your pedals as is.

P.S.
The new design allows connection of the processing channel of the Decimator™ to be inserted into your effects loop or after your high gain pedals or preamp.
- from isptechnologies.com

^Sounds like you can put it anywhere in the signal chain to me. If you are really unsure, experiment with putting it straight at the front of your effects loop, or maybe even straight after the guitar, before the tuner. If it is a good noise gate (never tried an ISP Decimator before), it should not affect tone.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Thanks for the responses guys. Yes the 105Q bass does have a gain/boost nob, but I haven't tried it after the overdrive, which order of the 2 would make the sound more aggressive and prominent? Boosting the wah or wah'ing the boosted signal?
As for the FX loop and the G string, it has an input for guitar which needs a clean signal to detect the guitar (this helps it know the actual signal strength so it doesn't apply too harshly when switching to clean) and then an output into the rest of my chain. It then has 2 jacks for FX send & return, which go into the amp with nothing else put in the loop. This is so it silences the amp hiss at the end of the preamp, which also included all the noise from the rest of my pedals. I'm generally happy with how the noise gate operates.
Why put an octaver in the FX loop though? Wouldn't that have serious tracking issues due to how late in the chain it comes in? I figured it'd need as clean a tone as possible.
So yeah I basically want an aggressive octaver sound that stands out, as well as an aggressive wah that the octaver can be equally prominent in. I think it's all about where I put that overdrive then?

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
Voodoo Labs PP2
Wah before the overdrive with the boost on will give aggressive lead tones, overdrive before the wah will change the effect itself depending on how you use the overdrive (clean boost or saturation). Basically, you can't just ask, you have to experiment. Octaver, and any other pitch modulation, should be fairly late in the effects chain traditionally, but seeing how the noise gate restricts your positioning, as I said, keep your current order.

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by TheLazer
Tuner
Noise gate
Wah
Octaver
Overdrive
I've been under the impression that octave synthesis pedals should be relatively early in the chain, contrary to what some other posts have said. That's just my experience though, no rules here. If any sort of tracking is involved, distortion can mess that up. No fun. But none of the pedals in your original chain distort your signal enough for that to happen.

This is what I would do:

Guitar > Tuner > Octave > OD > Amp input

Loop send > Wah > Noise Gate > Return

The OD can drive the amp more efficiently. I'm not sure what you're saying about your amp fx loop, though. But I suggest the Wah in the fx loop, so that you get the full preamp EQ band for your wah to mess with. Compared to the wah driving into what you have the preamp set to.

Generally, the noise gate works best towards the end of the chain so that the most amount of noise is taken out. Guitars don't make much noise by themselves (unless you have really bad problems with EMI). Noise comes from distortion mostly, wahs also put some noise in the signal. If you're using the noise gate for attack not noise reduction, then it might serve better in the front amp input.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 27, 2015,
I dunno about the G string II, I have the G String.
It has an effects loop.
I put my dirt pedals in that loop and all is good.
Its in the manual (at least with mine it does).
Quote by Will Lane
I've been under the impression that octave synthesis pedals should be relatively early in the chain, contrary to what some other posts have said. That's just my experience though, no rules here. If any sort of tracking is involved, distortion can mess that up. No fun. But none of the pedals in your original chain distort your signal enough for that to happen.

This is what I would do:

Guitar > Tuner > Octave > OD > Amp input

Loop send > Wah > Noise Gate > Return

The OD can drive the amp more efficiently. I'm not sure what you're saying about your amp fx loop, though. But I suggest the Wah in the fx loop, so that you get the full preamp EQ band for your wah to mess with. Compared to the wah driving into what you have the preamp set to.

Generally, the noise gate works best towards the end of the chain so that the most amount of noise is taken out. Guitars don't make much noise by themselves (unless you have really bad problems with EMI). Noise comes from distortion mostly, wahs also put some noise in the signal. If you're using the noise gate for attack not noise reduction, then it might serve better in the front amp input.

Interesting point about the wah in the loop. Never really considered how it could affect the preamp signal afterwards, as opposed to affecting going into it! I'll have to give that a go.
As for the G String, I wouldn't put it after my dirt pedals as the 'guitar' input designed to pick up the cleanest signal, and with all that noise from the pedals, it would get confused what the standard signal is. Does that make sense? Putting it in the loop means it still silences the pedals and the amp as it comes in just before the power section, silencing everything. I don't (as far as I'm aware) think it will make much difference where I put that because it'll still be in a loop regardless.

Voodoo Labs PP2
Can someone help me out here for bass guitar ordering please

Boss TU-3 Tuner

Cry Baby Bass Wah

Boss ODB-3 Overdrive

A Fuzz Pedal - to be decided / purchased

TC Spark Mini Boost

Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus

Boss GEB-7 Bass Equalizer

Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor

thanks in advance guys.....
^highjacking a week old thread is not really such good practice (I am totally one to talk ), but whatever. So, if your bass amp has an effects loop: Bass → Tuner → Wah → (here you need to decide whether you will be boosting the OD/Fuzz or vice versa) → Amp Input, Effects Loop Send → Chorus → Equaliser → Noise Gate. So, pretty much, I did not help at all. Look at your order of pedals above, it works. If you have a loop, Chorus, Equaliser and Noise Gate should go there. Apart from that, you have to decide for yourself about the order if the boost, the OD and the Fuzz. Also, depending on the wah, if you only want the boost while you are using the wah, and vice versa, your wah may already have a boost. If not, ignore these last two sentences.

Quote by Offworld92
Thanks - I think

Didn't mean to hijack a thread - but saw people moaning if new threads were started on old topics
Can't please everyone, eh? For things such as this, start a new thread. People could moan if say, someone is discussing settings on an amp, and someone makes another thread about settings on that same amp - you get the idea.

Anyway, you're all good, good luck with tone and experimenting

Quote by Offworld92
I believe that placing the decimator in the way you placed it would only eliminate any noise generated by the guitar, generally a single coil guitar as humbuckers are hum cancellating pickups. A single channel decimator such as the regular one I would suggest to place it in the effects loop after any modulation (flanger, chorus and phaser) but before repeat pedals (delays and reverbs) so you would be eliminating any noise generated by the pedals and by the preamp. You place it before the repeat pedals so the repeats would be noise free.

The pedal order is what I would like but it is a suggestion not a rule. Since you do not use modulation and delays, I would suggest not using the effects loop at all. Furthermore I never used an octave pedal except in stores so you place that where you find where it fits. Your pedal is to be connected as follows:

tuner > decimator guitar in> decimator guitar out> Wah > Octaver > overdrive> decimator dec in> decimator dec out> amp.
Quote by JRSOLDJA
put your wah last in the chain (if you're not using fx loop that is)

Why is that? I've never heard people suggest a wah in the loop, and generally say put it in front, and now there's 2 people saying use it in the loop lol.

By the way, I'm getting a big muff tone wicker soon. Any suggestions on where that should fit in? I'd assume between the octaver and overdrive?

Voodoo Labs PP2
For a wah in the fx loop: The wah gets all the preamp goodness sent to it for the wah's filter to mess with. If the wah is in the front, the wah's filter gets sent to the preamp. If the preamp is trying to boost EQ frequencies that aren't there because of the wah, it might sound meh. Rather, with the wah in the effects loop, the wah filters with all the frequencies you have the preamp set to. Really, IMO it just sounds better.

For Tone Wicker: It depends if you want the Muff to boost the OD or the OD to boost the Muff. With an OD boosting a Muff, you might be able to get some unique breakup sounds from the Muff. Somewhat like how an amp breaks up- if you push it harder you'll get more out of it. If you use the Muff to boost the OD, you'll have the OD timbre's added to the Muff. Might be good if you have a middy OD, to help the Muff cut through the mix.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 7, 2015,