I just got a Marshall MG 250DFX amp and a Boss GT-100 Ver. 2 effects board. How should I connect them? How should I place the settings on the amp? Also, I play a Kramer Baretta 1984 reissue, if that is relevant. I'm looking for a very heavy, modern metal sound. Influences are Rammstein and Slipknot.
return it and tell us your location and budget.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by deastbrook
I just got a Marshall MG 250DFX amp and a Boss GT-100 Ver. 2 effects board. How should I connect them? How should I place the settings on the amp? Also, I play a Kramer Baretta 1984 reissue, if that is relevant. I'm looking for a very heavy, modern metal sound. Influences are Rammstein and Slipknot.

put the GT100 output into the FX loop return of the amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's been about 20 years since I played with effects. I'm nearly 50. I don't even know where to start.
The back of your amp has inputs for an effects loop. What Robb is saying is you plug the output of your GT pedal into the FX RETURN input on the back of the amp.

Just curious... If you were looking for a really heavy and modern metal sound, why did you buy an MG and a multi-effects processor? Also if you didn't know what you were doing, why would you spend money without asking anybody or doing a bit of research?

Especially when its almost seeming like what you bought isnt ideal for what you want to do.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I was pressed on time and budget. I needed something to mess around with to write music and get my chops back after a long layoff in preparation to record an album and do some pretty serious touring. I'm on a timetable, with deadlines. I'll be hiring a sound consultant shortly, so the equipment architecture for the band can be spec'ed out. The budget for equipment is up in the air pending that discovery, as are things like rehearsal space, offices, staff, etc.
Quote by deastbrook

so let me get this straight you are recording and touring but have np clue on how this stuff works? Really? obviously you didn't do any homework you just saw the marshall name and 100 watts and said oh yeah that's the ticket. hope you do a better job for your upcoming projects.

what is being told to you is to skip the preamp sectiion of your amp and use the fx instead. it has amp models which will most likely be better than what the MG can produce. so you are just running the power amp section of your amp and letting the fx unit do most of the work.
Let me clarify things a bit - I had a pretty good run in the late '80s/early '90s. I gave up music to finish my education and focus on my career. Now, I am a successful businessman, have a very successful company, and I'm going back into the music/band business with the resources and business experience I lacked in my teens and twenties. So, yeah, I've been out of the scene for quite a while. But I can still play, I have a clear vision of what I want to do, and I now have the resources to shoot for the big time, and a very realistic shot at making it. I have all the right contacts, lots of money, and I'm sober now. Does that clear things up for you?
Well if you have the money get a good solid amp. What you have would be OK for band practicing. But I have toured for 15 years and you need a good solid amp. Yes what you have can work, but it is not ideal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know that. I am probably going to go with Mesas for recording and touring. This is just a practice rig. I've been out of the game for a long time, and I'd hoped I could get some advice here without a whole attitude thing.
Well you managed to screw up your first step already, by not researching what you are actually buying, so i guess being a successful buissnesman doesnt teach you everything. Anyway, if you are serious about this, sell both this things and get a Peavey 6505. Or, alternatively, you can get a Kemper, since you can use that for recording as well.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Fair enough, you get what you pay for. I'll stick to getting advice from people I pay, professionals. That's how I generally do things anyway. We've become a very money focused society. When I was young and learning to play, it was a lot simpler. Now, you have to pay for everything.
You can get literally (and yes, i mean literally) the best advice on this boards. There are many people on here that have amazing amounts of experience and technical knowledge about all kinds of amps, guitars and recording gear. You just seem sour because we are telling you things you dont want to hear.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by deastbrook
Fair enough, you get what you pay for. I'll stick to getting advice from people I pay, professionals. That's how I generally do things anyway. We've become a very money focused society. When I was young and learning to play, it was a lot simpler. Now, you have to pay for everything.

ok lets try this. you want to turn this into a business exercise and honestly it's not. i'm over 50 and know a little about being successful so take that for what its worth. you can't just pay someone to give you your "sound". that is something you have to develop. now as for attitude perhaps you are way to used to being the boss. read what you stated again. hey guys i'm a successful business man and can just buy what ever i want. how does that not come off like attitide from a guy who just thinks that throwing money at something will bring success?

here you have access to some veryu knowlegable people that will help you for free. from a business standpoint getting what you want for the least expense is good business right. we have no clue what you mean by had a good run in the late 80s early 90s. how bout telling what you want to play more specifically. hate to tell you this but your guitar really isn't the best for wht you want either. it wil work but you could have done way better.
Ok, all fair. Yes, not the ideal guitar. I just always wanted one. I usually play high end Jacksons.

I know my attitude sucks right now. I'm really sorry. I've just been going through a lot, first year of sobriety, new to Christian faith, in a town where I don't know very many people. I've always wanted to do what I'm doing right now, which is putting together a big time metal band and playing big shows and recording albums. I played in bands a long time ago, and I loved it. I'm trying to live the dream, and I'm not being very graceful about it. I feel like a bull in a china shop. Sorry.
Quote by deastbrook
Ok, all fair. Yes, not the ideal guitar. I just always wanted one. I usually play high end Jacksons.

I know my attitude sucks right now. I'm really sorry. I've just been going through a lot, first year of sobriety, new to Christian faith, in a town where I don't know very many people. I've always wanted to do what I'm doing right now, which is putting together a big time metal band and playing big shows and recording albums. I played in bands a long time ago, and I loved it. I'm trying to live the dream, and I'm not being very graceful about it. I feel like a bull in a china shop. Sorry.

ummm.... not to be a downer but do you really think that is realistic goal wise? look around at metal bands and what do you see. young guys. sure if you want to be in a local bar band then that can be done reasonably easy but the big time i dunno. you can't buy success. i played in bands when i was young to. as much as i'd love to be a big rock star that just isn't going to happen. at this point i'm leaning towards a small local blues rock band that is for fun and maybe makes enough to pay for beer. i have a home recording setup so i can do that when i want. once again though no delusions, it's just nice to be able to post stuff on the net and know that guys around the world have at least listened to my stuff.

not saying don't go for it but am saying that being realistic might be a better path.

anyways ask for whatever advice you need. just be prepared to listen.
Hey man it happens. We all get in the heat of the moment and lose track of what we're really trying to get across. I'm sure people will appreciate you acknowledging that you might not be going about it in the best way so lets move forward and actually try to help a bit more

But yeah, since you've already purchased the rig... I mean, if you want to use it for practice it would be okay. Personally, if it was possible, I would try to return it and start fresh so you can really get the most out of your money.

In any case, well start with a few questions to really get the ball rolling and find out if we can find something a little more suited for what you want to do.

Budget:
Current gear:
What sounds you want to achieve:
Any other considerations: (does it have to be a combo amp or a stack? Wattage? Weight?)
Willing to buy used:

If you're not going to return the amp and want to work around it. Maybe some people who own the GT100 can help you out with some patches. Personally I haven't used one.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've been doing startups since 1994. One thing I've learned is that there always going to be plenty of folks who will tell you why something can't be done. The ones to listen to are the ones who say "let's figure out how to make it happen."
Quote by deastbrook
I've been doing startups since 1994. One thing I've learned is that there always going to be plenty of folks who will tell you why something can't be done. The ones to listen to are the ones who say "let's figure out how to make it happen."

never said it couldn't be done or not to try. since you insist on using business terms lets try this. risk vs reward. when you do a start up you do have to look at what returns you can expect and in what time frame correct? now how exactly are you going to calculate that for this particular start up? what pitch are you going to give potential investors?

ok enough with the business lets stick to gear as that is what this forum is for.
Like I said Your probably best off running the GT100 into the FX return on the back. You can also use the 4CM (4 cable method) this puts the amp models in the loop and you can also turn them off and use the amps preamp if you chose while still having access to all the FX built in.

I know it says tube amp, but it will work with any amp that has an FX loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SAhtLg6isrY
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I own a GT-100 and I wouldn't use it for heavy metal distortion. I found it too fiddly to get a decent heavy sound out of and was underwhelmed by the modelling side of things in general. The higher gain effects really do sound processed and digital, unlike most of the ODs. I'd recommend trying to use the MG's drive channel to get a core sound and then use the GT-100 to add some tightness/definition with an OD. It may not behave like a tube amp with a tubescreamer but I'm pretty certain the results will be better than cranking just the amp or GT-100 to 11. To get a decent sound out of the MG I imagine you'll be doing a lot of fiddling with the EQ, gain and master volume to find the sweet spots. The GT-100 shouldn't take much time to set up if you've got the core sound covered. My advice would be lay off the treble and presence to avoid getting a harsh sounding distortion and use the guitar's volume knob to get a clean sound if required, though it'll probably be more of an EVH crunchy clean sound. As for the 4 cable method, I've tried the GT-100 with it and without it. I prefer without it but it really is personal preference and results vary from amp to amp. If you're not going to layer on the delay, chorus and phase effects, putting it directly in front of the amp will do the trick. One of the GT-100's best features, I think, is its noise gate. I'm pretty sure you'll need to employ it to get decent results. I've never used the amp in question and my experience comes from GT-100 into tube amps but all the same I hope this helps.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
Quote by Robbgnarly
Like I said Your probably best off running the GT100 into the FX return on the back. You can also use the 4CM (4 cable method) this puts the amp models in the loop and you can also turn them off and use the amps preamp if you chose while still having access to all the FX built in.

I know it says tube amp, but it will work with any amp that has an FX loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SAhtLg6isrY

This is the correct answer.

But seriously, the amp is shit, replace it. In the meantime, run it in 4CM like in the video. That will maximise what you have.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification