Okay so i want to explore Drop A tuning but annoyingly there is nothing on the internet related to Drop A as soon as i search for Drop A in google it just comes up with Drop D suggestions which you might imagine is quite frustrating. i was wondering if there are any different techniques for Drop A or is it the same as Drop D, Drop C, Drop B but lower???
You play in drop A the same as you play in Drop D, C, B etc. It is just two semitones lower than B.
Gear
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom-S
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez RG370DXL w/SD Invaders and a hot rail
Tanglewood acoustic
Marshall JVM410H
+a lot of pedals!
By drop A, do you mean just tuning your E down to A and leaving the rest standard? Or are you going to try and tune the whole guitar down?

You could find some songs that don't go any lower than A, then throw the dropped A in there occasionally for extra punch.

Two rock songs that use "Drop"A (where E is simply dropped down to A):

Stacked Actors by Foo Fighters
Keep Your Eyes Peeled by Queens of the Stone Age.

I guess otherwise I don't know much on the subject.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Drop A (AADGBE or, A# F A# D# G# C)

I won't cover this one because I don't recommend doing this if you have a 6-string as it's usually played on a 7-string. Using Drop A on a six string is a little extreme and could harm your guitar. (Sorry, I just don't want you blaming me if your strings snap or guitar is damaged trying to do this).

For Drop C and B, you may have to adjust your guitars intonation, and adjust the truss rod.

Copied from the Lessons section on this website.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
What? Drop A on a six string is NOT extreme and will NOT damage your guitar as long as you have it set up correctly.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Why would it damage the guitar, as long as you use thick enough strings and adjust the truss rod?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Nut, machine heads possibly on the thicker strings and have it set up properly for that tuning.

I wouldnt tune it up past B with 12's on it..
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Drop A is just like Drop D, or Drop C, or Drop B, or whatever. What makes it a "drop" tuning is that the lowest string is dropped an extra step lower than it would be for whatever kind of standard tuning the rest of the guitar is in. So, Drop D is standard E, but with the low D. Drop C is the whole guitar tuned a full step down, to D Standard, then the low string dropped another step to C. Which means drop A is B Standard, with the low string dropped to A.

Drop A is most common on 7 string guitars, because "standard" tuning for a 7 string is already B, so going to drop A is as simple as going to Drop D on a regular 6 string. So 7 string drop A is A-E-A-D-G-B-e, which is, as you can see, just standard 6 string tuning with the extra 7th string at A.

Drop A on a 6 string is definitely doable. Won't hurt anything. But you will need very heavy strings to pull if off without sounding muddy and buzzy and gross. Also, the tuning is changed slightly, to keep the major 3rd interval between the 3rd and 2nd strings. So, 6 string Drop A is A-E-A-D-F#-B. Doing it that way, with the F#, rather than making it like 7 string Drop A minus the high E, keeps your standard chord and scale shapes intact. That way, it will play exactly the same as Drop D, as far as chords and scales are concerned, just dropped 2 1/2 steps. Of course, if you're trying to learn songs that were written in 7 string Drop A, but just don't use the highest string, you could go ahead and use G instead. Nothing wrong with that.

As for that other tuning someone mentioned, A-A-D-G-B-e. That's not drop A. I don't know what someone might call that, but it's not Drop A. That's E standard, with a low A.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Drop A is fun but make sure you have guitar that will handle the tone. I used to play in A when I had my slam project going. It's fun but, don't risk damaging your guitar by going back in forth between tuning when you decide to buy thicker strings. If you need help or any demos videos let me know I am willing to help
There's no need for a 7 string if you're only going to use 6 of the strings, although you need to make sure you get the correct string gauges and that the guitar can handle the thicker strings. You might want a baritone though, and I wouldn't want anything with a scale length of less than 25.5" tuned that low.

FYI, Drop A on a 6 string is A E A D F# B
A A D G B e would be a Drop A Variant - Only song that comes to mind is Citizen Erased by Muse
A G C F A D is another Drop A Variant - Zyglrox by Periphery uses this tuning
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Mar 25, 2015,