Hi guys, I'm getting ready to return the guitar I borrowed from a friend (will be buying my own soon) and I want to return it the way I got it,.. it was a lefty which the local store restrung righty for me.

And randomly I happen to be studying up on compensated saddles and intonation.. and after comparing this to images on the web, I think, this is a "righty saddle".

I may be totally wrong. I'm a noob. But see how it zigs back to the B string pin and then zags away from the thinnest E-string. I think that means it's a righty saddle.

It's not a big deal and no matter what I'm going to get a lefty saddle for it when I return it. But I just want to know because if it IS a righty saddle, I wonder how it got there? Did my friend have a righty saddle in his lefty guitar? (I can't ask him - he wouldn't know.) Or did the music place replace the lefty saddle with a righty.. and if so, what happened to the lefty saddle?

They might have just put it in the bag of stuff I bought that day and when I saw it I thought it must be part of the packaging from one of the other items and threw it out. If I did that (which I don't remember) I'd like to know.

Also, they might have even said to me, "oh look, it already has a righty saddle on it for you".. to which I would have responded (and immediately forgotten): "that sounds great but I have NO IDEA what you're talking about.. but it sounds like you're happy about it so I'm happy too."

(doesn't noob ignorance baffle you sometimes?)
Attachments:
Left1.gif
And also (I'm terrible with spacial stuff) .. if I flip it around wont it zag away from the B-string pin and then zag back towards the high e-string pin ... and isn't that the opposite of what it should do?
So what are you asking? That is a righty saddle, no one here can tell you how it got there. If you're switching the guitar back to lefty you'll need a lefty saddle.
Dude, you've got the guitar strung right handed, and upside down.

To top that off, the picture of the saddle is taken from the completely wrong angle to be able to tell WTF is going on.

I can tell you, the high side of the B string saddle, should be TOWARD the bridge. It makes the B string effectively LONGER.

It kind of looks right, but I wouldn't swear to it by that picture.
Quote by Captaincranky
Dude, you've got the guitar strung right handed, and upside down.

That's intentional -
"it was a lefty which the local store restrung righty for me."
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
That's intentional -
"it was a lefty which the local store restrung righty for me."

OK so, I'm going to withhold my scathing commentary on how much sense I think that makes. And BTW, I play left handed guitars, left handed. So, I know how tough they are to find, let alone stringing them back up right handed.

Is the B-2 saddle pointing the way I asked? Intonation sucks on acoustic guitars right up front, let alone having the saddle slant the wrong way. (which is what happens when you string any acoustic for the opposite orientation).

And here I"m talking about the saddle slant groove in the bridge proper, as well as the slant on a compensated saddle.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 25, 2015,
Quote by derek8520
So what are you asking? That is a righty saddle, no one here can tell you how it got there. If you're switching the guitar back to lefty you'll need a lefty saddle.

that was my only question, thanks btw.
this was indeed a righty saddle.

the only reason i said that " i wonder how it got there", was to explain why i am doubted my observation. if someone were to say that this could also be a lefty saddle, i wouldnt be surprised that i was wrong.(but if i was right,and the saddle is righty, obviously u dont know how it got there)
Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ The saddle is a lefty, but the bridge is a righty. The longest strings should be the 2nd and 6th, the shortest the 1st and 3rd. The intonation will be off, if you are picky about such things it might bother you.
Perhaps true, but I get the distinct feeling this question is engineered to defy conventional logic. So, your observation, while spot on, may be moot, as I doubt we're replacing the bridge, and who knows whether this guitar will be right or left handed when the dust settles...
Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ The saddle is a lefty, but the bridge is a righty. The longest strings should be the 2nd and 6th, the shortest the 1st and 3rd. The intonation will be off, if you are picky about such things it might bother you.

ok. please forgive my stupid next question. i just want to make sure i know WHAT a saddle IS. the saddle is that white thing right? made of bone or plastic or whatnot. the bridge is the wood piece it sits on with bridge pins in it, right?

if i have that right, then the bridge-slot goes diagonal where the saddle would be closest to the headstock at the first string. on this guitar, of course, the diagonal line is closest to the headstock at the 6th string, bc i strung it right,.. and therefore "upside down". ( hence the scratch guard near the 6th string)

but that diagonal slot in the bridge, doesnt that make the bridge lefty?

i thought i had that right.

and the saddle is put in there upside down.. but in all the pictures of other guitars, the saddle zig zags at the unwound strings. which mine does now. BUT, if strung lefty, wouldnt it zig zag at then 5th and 6th?
It's starting to occur to me, you don't actually know the difference between thew bridge and the saddle. SADDLE, white thing. BRIDGE, the wood thing.

As Tony has already pointed out, (It seems to no avail), it's a Left handed SADDLE, but a right handed BRIDGE.
Yeah, the saddle is the white bit, the bridge is the wood part. As you said, the slot in the bridge is at an angle, cut so that the string is shortest on the treble side, longest at the bass side. So while you have correct saddle, the slant on the saddle goes the wrong way for left-handed stringing.
Quote by Tony Done
Yeah, the saddle is the white bit, the bridge is the wood part. As you said, the slot in the bridge is at an angle, cut so that the string is shortest on the treble side, longest at the bass side. So while you have correct saddle, the slant on the saddle goes the wrong way for left-handed stringing.
No, look again. That's a left handed guitar, and the long strings are on the treble side. (It's already strung right handed).
Quote by Captaincranky
OK so, I'm going to withhold my scathing commentary on how much sense I think that makes.

yes, i know youre right and this makes no sense. but i only know this as of a few days ago. my guitar has been driving me NUTS lately... and i only just figured out it was the intonation. which is why im now ready to buy a guitar asap,.. and why im figuring out how to fix this one to return it.

I almost hesitated sharing this because ive just figures out how stupid i am. but thats Gods doing (just kidding, im an atheist) and of it were up to me i would be very intelligent, thoughtful and knowledgable. i like to think that im an intelligent person at heart.

And BTW, I play left handed guitars, left handed. So, I know how tough they are to find, let alone stringing them back up right handed.

Is the B-2 saddle pointing the way I asked?

i think so. it is making the b string longer, and then the high- e string shorter.
Im talking about the zig-zag on the trebble side of the saddle.

Intonation sucks on acoustic guitars right up front, let alone having the saddle slant the wrong way. (which is what happens when you string any acoustic for the opposite orientation).

yes. i know. i understand the folly of my ways. it was done out of ignorance and not done at all maliciously or with any intention to offend any one. (im being silly btw,... i have a VERY bizarre sense of dead-pan humor.. all the really weord stuff i say on this post .. just kidding.)

And here I"m talking about the saddle slant groove in the bridge proper, as well as the slant on a compensated saddle.

Right,.. and so it appears to me,.. the bridge (bc of the slot) is lefty, but the saddle, (because of the side that zig zags) is righty?

Really the MAIN goal of this thread is to confirm that i knew enogh about guitar anatomy to correctly make that observation.

i dont really have a "what should i do question"... other than whether i already have a lefty saddle, or is it, as i suspect, righty.
Quote by Tony Done

tony awesome!
Thank you. that was exactly what i wanted to know.

so i had it right. ( how the righty saddle got there - no one will ever know)... but at least now i know that i must buy a lefty saddle to restring this sucker.

thank you!!

Quote by Captaincranky
It's starting to occur to me, you don't actually know the difference between thew bridge and the saddle. SADDLE, white thing. BRIDGE, the wood thing.

As Tony has already pointed out, (It seems to no avail), it's a Left handed SADDLE, but a right handed BRIDGE.

actually, i think it turns out that i had that distinction down. (according to tony) might be the only thing i know .. but its a start!!
Quote by Captaincranky
No, look again. That's a left handed guitar, and the long strings are on the treble side. (It's already strung right handed).

I'm getting a headache.

Yes, you're right, it is a left-handed guitar, strung right-handed, with a right handed saddle. I wonder if the pic was taken in a mirror or reversed? - In any event is is set up with the saddle slot going the wrong way.
no mirror.

and i thought i got all the important stuff in the picture.

the bridge. the pick guard (to make clear its lefty) ... and i made sure the saddle came out sharp enough so you can see the zig-zag and the direction of the slanted slot.

tony - sorry about the headache. i do that to people :lol:
Quote by Tony Done
...[ ].... I wonder if the pic was taken in a mirror or reversed? - In any event is is set up with the saddle slot going the wrong way....[ ]...
"All the best things in life are done with mirrors", said Captaincranky, as he finished rolling up the twenty and inserted it into his nostril.....