I've been listening to a lot of Sublime lately and I love the sound of Bradley Nowell's ska rhythms, like in the verses in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA39giCWBo4

I've been trying to emulate that, and as far as I can tell it's just a percussive strum muted immediately after by the left hand, which works fine if I'm playing unamplified, but as soon as I plug into an amp I can't get the sound right, regardless of EQ it always sounds off, especially I find the higher strings ring out too much.

Is there something I'm missing technique-wise, do I just need to clean up the mute, keep experimenting with the EQ, or do I need to start smoking weed to get results?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Mar 25, 2015,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I've been listening to a lot of Sublime lately and I love the sound of Bradley Nowell's ska rhythms, like in the verses in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA39giCWBo4

I've been trying to emulate that, and as far as I can tell it's just a percussive strum muted immediately after by the left hand, which works fine if I'm playing unamplified, but as soon as I plug into an amp I can't get the sound right, regardless of EQ it always sounds off, especially I find the higher strings ring out too much.

Is there something I'm missing technique-wise, do I just need to clean up the mute, keep experimenting with the EQ, or do I need to start smoking weed to get results?

He's just playing off beat chips pretty much just chord stabs. It's really basic staccato technique honestly. Your problem is that you're probably not muting well with your left hand. I would find a video explaining the technique in more depth, but i'm pretty sure you could do that by yourself.

If you want you can look into some basic funk guitar lessons that should really give you a grip on this type of musical style. Adding percussive rhythms into your guitar playing will definitely add more flavor. Especially since the majority of these styles are based around syncopated rhythm. Reggae music would also be a good thing to study to since that's where a lot of Ska gets their influence from.
Last edited by Black_devils at Mar 25, 2015,
Thanks both!

I've been experimenting with trying this on different guitars and while it still doesn't sound anywhere near perfect I do have an easier time muting all the strings properly, so I'm tempted to say the issue is at least partly that with the 10-52 gauge strings on my Epiphone I'm not taking enough pressure off the top strings when I mute. I still have a lot of trouble getting the really short strokes where you can only barely hear the harmony, though. I guess that's just a timing issue?

Most of what I've played for the last four years has been pretty chill metal, and this and the John Frusciante stuff I've been playing lately are making it obvious that my rhythm guitar chops are somewhat lacking... A reason to practice is never a bad thing, though
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i