hey guys! long story short, this might be a dumb question but what happens if I simply remove the pick-up height adjustment screws? They're kinda falling, I guess they're not threaded correctly in the spring, and the pick-up is too high (a 1mm pick doesn't fit in between the string and the pickup without pushing the string upwards). It's an EMG (either 81 or 85, I can't remember, I'm bad with names and numbers :PPPP the other one is on the neck), really not sure if that matters at all.

Anyways, at the moment I can't remove the pick-up to try and put the screw through the spring correctly, so I was wondering if there's any harm in just removing the screw altogether, since by loosening it the pick-up gets lower.
Last edited by RidetheBeast at Mar 25, 2015,
If you take it out there is nothing to hold your pickup. Find out what screws you have and go to home Depot and you can find them there dirt cheap.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Yeah, don't do that.
The pickup will just flop around.

What guitar is it? It is typically pretty easy to remove the pickups and put the screw through the spring.

It will literally take a few minutes to do.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
oh, I see, I assumed the pick-up was kinda "locked" in there and that the screw just adjusted a little bit how high or low it was, not that it actually held it there. That kinda sucks!

See, the problem with removing the pick-up is that a certain person kinda screwed too hard two of the pick-up screws (not the height adjustment ones, but the other 4 ones that hold the pick-up "body" so to speak) and, coupled with rust, I'm really not managing to remove the pick-up :x but I'll see if some anti-rust spray helps (and I'll also try to find a better fitting tool, the one I have doesn't look that much like a good match)
Yeah , if the heads are rusty it can be a pain. Make sure you have the correct size screw-driver.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
as a bonus question, if I spray a bit of anti-rust into the screw, is there any risk of damaging the pick-up? Should I use the spray in some kind of cloth and than carefully rub it into the screw without touching the pick-up? Maybe with the help of a cotton swab
Emg pickups are tanks sealed in 30 metric tons of epoxy. So don't worry about damaging them. With that said just make sure you don't get any on the finish of the guitar and you should be good to go.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
allright, thanks a lot both of you!

I managed to take out one of the messed up screws, now fighting to remove the other one :P

Is there any problem if I don't put all of the screws back? as in just leave the sockets (not sure if that's the correct word, english isn't my native language!) of two of the screws empty and put back the other two?
Quote by RidetheBeast
allright, thanks a lot both of you!

I managed to take out one of the messed up screws, now fighting to remove the other one :P

Is there any problem if I don't put all of the screws back? as in just leave the sockets (not sure if that's the correct word, english isn't my native language!) of two of the screws empty and put back the other two?

That is fine, I have a guitar with only 2 of the 4 still holding the pickup-ring
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Great, good to know! Thank you

Now I'll just have to try and remove the remaining screws, turns out that the ugliest looking ones (full of rust and creases) were the two easiest to remove, the other screws aren't even moving
OK guys, I did it. It wasn't really a phillips, it was more of a sharp cross thingy, but anyways, one of the screws really was messed up, the other was just TOO tight (and a bit rusty)

thanks a lot everyone!
Last edited by RidetheBeast at Mar 25, 2015,
Allright, so I removed the pickup and here's what's happening

before removing it, with the pickup installed, if I tried lowering the pup height, the adjustment screws would start to go "up" and leave the pup bracket. Now, with the pup removed from the guitar, holding it in the air and adjusting the height makes only one of the screws leave the bracket - the other stays there perfectly fine. I tried switching the screw that is moving with a different screw and it's still wonky. I'll try a different spring and, if it doesn't work, I'll try switching position with the other screw from the same pickup.

any ideas / help?
can you post a pic?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
can you post a pic?

I made a quick drawing to show what's happening because my phone's camera is messed up and I don't have a webcam.

(I made the spring red in the image just to help visualizing)

So, I tried grabing a spring from a different pick-up from an older guitar; I had to cut the spring for it to fit, it was TOO long. I haven't reinstalled the pickup yet, but so far it seems like it's working; I'll have to see if it does work when I put it back in the guitar. Hopefully it does!
Is the screw backing out of the plastic pickup-ring?
If so you may need to widen the hole just a bit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Is the screw backing out of the plastic pickup-ring?
If so you may need to widen the hole just a bit

yeah, screw is backing out of the plastic pickup-ring / bracket thing

I just put the pick-up back into the guitar, and, while it was working fine outside of the guitar (after I switched a spring), in the guitar if I loosen the screw it starts to back out of the ring again.

So, I have to widen the hole? How do I do that, and if I mess up does it mean I'll have to find new pickup rings?

BTW, some info: those aren't the original screws, because one of the original screws fell out during a tour. I couldn't find a replacement one that was exactly the same, so a luthier used two different ones. Seeing as how it happened with the original screw though, I don't really think the problem is the screw itself
Take the screw and push it in and out just a bit. you can also try pushing on it while everything is still in place
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's not very hard plastic, try a drill bit held with a pair of pliers to open the hole up a little. Or heat a nail with a Bic lighter and use that. Use pliers, your fingers will thank you.

Also see if you can get some surgical tubing to replace the springs with. I started using it long ago and any time I have a reason to remove a pickup, it gets surgical tubing in there. Works great, compresses well, use the spring to gauge how long a piece you need. Cut it slightly longer, it will compress more than the spring will and holds up well.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I'll be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference in trying to push down the screw to open the whole a bit, but I'm probably doing it wrong

and about drilling it or using a heated nail, I'm not confident enough about doing that to my guitar to be honest :S

I guess for now I'll just install the pick-up with a pretty low height and than just increase the height without going overboard, since the problem happens when I try to lower the pickup

thanks a lot for the help guys! this will do for now! :P
Take the pickup ring off the guitar to work on it. No problems with damaging the guitar...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...