i have a very nice deluxe reverb tube amp but i am going to pick up a nice solid state amp for practice and general knock around purposes. I am not going with anything huge and have basically narrowed it down to either a marshall MG30 or an Orange CR35. They are both in the $200 range and both seem fairly comparable. Does anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other? going to try to play them both at a local box store and i feel both have pretty good names in the guitar amp world. thoughts?

- i play multiple guitars (some humbucker, some single coil)
- i play anything from surf to garage to punk and old metal (like black sabbath and the likes)
- and yes i play all these guitars and genre of music poorly
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Last edited by zenbone at Mar 25, 2015,
You should go for the new series of Orange Crush amplifiers. They actually sound sort of good and Marshall MG30 to my experience doesn't.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Yeah id pick the Orange over the MG
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Get a used Line 6 Flextone

Here is one at the Tampa GC for $199. It will be much better than any of the amps your looking at.
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-FLEXTONE-III-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110644963-i4055014.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^I like the Fextone II/III way better than the Vypyr.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a used Line 6 Flextone

Here is one at the Tampa GC for $199. It will be much better than any of the amps your looking at.
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-FLEXTONE-III-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110644963-i4055014.gc

I thought you were automatically kicked off of UG for owning a Line 6?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
I thought you were automatically kicked off of UG for owning a Line 6?

Line 6 makes some nice amps, it is the Spider series that gets all the flack. The Flextone is a very good sounding amp and it is cheap used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Line 6 makes some nice amps, it is the Spider series that gets all the flack. The Flextone is a very good sounding amp and it is cheap used.

THAT'S RIGHT... i forgot it was the spider series! My memory ain't what it used to be.
Quote by BlackVoid
Hey it is at the Tampa GC, why not take the short ride over and check it out and try out some other amps in your budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you're looking at the low end non-tube amps, and those are your only two choices, Orange all the way. The Marshall MG series is dogshit with knobs on it. But seriously, if that's the kind of range you're looking at, I wouldn't take either. I'd go for Peavey Vypyr, or shop around for something used.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
definitely gonna hit up the guitar center probably this weekend, might also shop the used market. I know quite a bit about buying used equipment and what to look for. thanks for the suggestions everyone. the dogshit with knobs has me thinking probably should steer clear of the MG series Marshalls.
Quote by BlackVoid
^my "dogshit with knobs" description is probably a little too harsh, but yeah. There are reasons that the MG is basically a punchline around here.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
both british but IMO orange and marshall each have a very signature tone. imo, its a marshall tone vs orange tone to me. both are very hard picks. i would say given the simplicity of the orange, thats more of a "players" amp. like a single channel amp, coaxing all the goodness out of it with its simplisitc setup. most marshalls you are going to have a farily typical 2+ channel setup. you set them up, use the foot switch, theres your clean and dirty. i feel like Oranges you may tweak the knobs a bit more and discover different tonalities, etc.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
both british but IMO orange and marshall each have a very signature tone. imo, its a marshall tone vs orange tone to me. both are very hard picks. i would say given the simplicity of the orange, thats more of a "players" amp. like a single channel amp, coaxing all the goodness out of it with its simplisitc setup. most marshalls you are going to have a farily typical 2+ channel setup. you set them up, use the foot switch, theres your clean and dirty. i feel like Oranges you may tweak the knobs a bit more and discover different tonalities, etc.

if you were talking the tube version of each maker then yeah i'd agree. we're not so i kinda doubt you're really going to get the signature tone out of either of them.
Flextone is a good bet, same with the Peavey Vypyr.
Both are better than either the Orange or the Marshall, especially for what you want.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Grab that Flextone for sure. Real nice amps, great sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Get a Frontman 212R or something similar. It would sound closest to your fender deluxe reverb.
Quote by Gab_Azz
Get a Frontman 212R or something similar. It would sound closest to your fender deluxe reverb.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
MG is awful so don't go there. The Crush is decent but I'll really suggest the Tech21 TM30 - great sounding solid state that can do close to the big Marshall sound (not the MG but the JCM range) and a few more sounds (very good Mesa and Fender imitations) and will probably sound a bit better in this price range.
It is about $50 more. In case you haven't seen it - here's the link:
http://amzn.com/B000A2ZP5S
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 27, 2015,
Just got back from picking up the newest edition to the family. Found a like new Vox Valvetronix AD30TV amp. Listed on craigslist for $100. Went over and ran it through the paces and grabbed it up. very clean, virtually unused.
Quote by BlackVoid
Quote by Robbgnarly

The flextone 2 and 3 are real amps The absolute best value
HNAD! the valvetonix are pretty cool modeling amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
is this a glitch? why are all posts pony fan. WTF
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
is this a glitch? why are all posts pony fan. WTF

april fools joke