Hi,
I wanted to ask if there is a chord pattern for chords other then the standard major and minor chords. For example for diminished, seventh, maj7, augmented...
Chords in a major scale:
Major 7th
Minor 7th
Minor 7th
Major 7th
Dominant 7th
Minor 7th
Half diminished

Is that what you're asking for?
If you want to use diminished chords, you can put them in between any two chords in these two ways:

1. You can play a diminished chord a half step below the chord you are trying to get to.

example: A7 - Bm would become A7- A#7dim - Bm

2. Put the diminished chord a whole step ABOVE the chord you are trying to get to.

example: Am7 - Gmaj7 would be Am7 - Adim - Gmaj7

Hopefully that makes sense and helps a bit. This isn't exactly using chords within a scale, but rather using chord substitutions. Hard to sum up in two minutes. I'm in between classes at uni right now.

Also I & IV chords can always be replaced by their Maj7 counterpart in a major scale.
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
Quote by derek8520
Chords in a major scale:
Major 7th
Minor 7th
Minor 7th
Major 7th
Dominant 7th
Minor 7th
Half diminished

Is that what you're asking for?

yes! thanks! what about the minor scales? all three of them
See if you can figure it out. Harmonize the scale in thirds and see what you get.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Jayerrr
Hi,
I wanted to ask if there is a chord pattern for chords other then the standard major and minor chords. For example for diminished, seventh, maj7, augmented...

When you say "pattern," do you mean fingering pattern (e.g., as in the "CAGED" system?)

Or are you talking about chord formulas (e.g., 1,b3,5,b7?)
"No one is a sorcerer every hour of the day. How could you live?" — Pablo Picasso
Quote by Jet Penguin
See if you can figure it out. Harmonize the scale in thirds and see what you get.

This. This will also make you understand where the "pattern" comes from.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Really helps if you learn the intervals in chord types (e.g. minor is 1,b3,5; dominant 7 (1, 3, 5,b7) and so on), and look at any scale, and see what intervals you can find between every other note in the scale.

Cmajor: C D E F G A B.

So, look at C (skip D) E (skip F) G. Whay intervals are there?
Then D (skip E), F (skip G), A. Whay intervals are there?

etc. Remember, a chord name is short hand for a set of intervals measured from the chord root.

cheers, Jerry
Quote by Jayerrr
Hi,

That pattern is the basic chords how they fit into the pattern of the key. You can take every one of those chords, and make every extension possible while only using notes of the key.

I don't think you will find a resource with all of them listed, but if you know your major scale well enough, it's real easy to figure out. It's also something important everyone should play with at some point, but idk if it's the best time for you or not.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Apr 27, 2015,