Building a semi hollow with a small strat size body. Not wide or fat like a jazz guitar. I play rock with lots of jazz/blues/psychedelic guitar work.
Preferences:
Warm and dark tone
Full notes rather than single note clarity
Humbuckers
I think I need high out put but I do not want a metal tone or any compression from the pups.
Loose and responsive to my touch
I play a lot of clean and use pedals if I want to drive the tubes so not so much output that I'll get gain off the guitar
Colorful/musical tones but not bright(not sure if that makes sense)
Pearly Gates
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would go for a vintage style humbucker (alnico, 7-8k ohm) in the neck, and something a bit little heavier in the bridge, both uncovered. (Cover kill tone, IMO) With a semi-hollow, I would err one the bright side. I've found that specific choices are guitar-dependent. I have two sets of SD SH-2 (Jazz) in two different guitars, and they are warm and sweet in one, a 335 knockoff bright and almost jangly in the other, a high-tuned solidbody bari.

Remember that you can take the edge off a bright pickup with the tone controls, but you can't get it from a warm one if it isn't there in the first place
vintage pickups for sure. The ...
Seymour Duncan Jazz or the 59 in the neck is two preferences of mine.
The pearly gates is nice too from what I've been told.
the Pegasus

Dimarzio does a lot of PAF style pickups , if not the air classic.
the "air" type of pickups is an innovation that means you can have the strings super close to the pickup and still have apparently the same amount of sustain.

warm sounds though some other stuff does help. You can go with paper in oil capacitors. Vintage 50s style wiring (the capacitor and tone are grounded differently) and pure nickel strings if you want to go complete overkill.. as well as cloth or nickel braided wires.

strings, picks and the right pickups matter big time though. Pure nickel strings came out first and are warmer/darker and apparently have more tension so less flap. The good news is they are still 4-6$ us dollars a pack.
I use d'adario nickel wound 10s. I like them but I haven't done enough experimenting to know if they are perfect for me.

I use the super heavy graphite picks. No give at all. Those are perfect for me. That I've tested.
I own a set of SD jazz SH-2ND and SD JB SH-4B already. Would they be a good match with a strat sized semi hollow?
Yes they will work, the JB might be a little hot for some of the styles, but just roll the volume back and they clean up nice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Told a friend about my dilemma and he's offering me a pearly gate neck for free.

So now I have the choice of Pearly gate vs the jazz SH-2N