Can anyone explain to me why Synester Gates is hated in the metal community

Page 1 of 6
I'm not the biggest fan of Avenged Sevenfold, but Synester Gates is on my list of favorite guitarists. He's really the only reason I listen to them.
Look at the guy.

I mean. Cmon.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I don't like Avenged Sevenfold. His fans consider him a genius when what I see he does isn't that remarkable (that said, that stems from the fact that I don't like AS).

I don't hate him, I just dislike him and his music.

The fact that he's given himself the stage name "Synester Gates" really doesn't help. I mean, come on...
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
It's not 2006 anymore. Everyone stopped hating/talking about then when they graduated 10th grade.
I don't think it's him that is hated, but his fans. They tend to mention him all the time for being 'the best', while he's not a bad guitarist, but hell no, he's not the best nor anywhere close to being one of the best.
Also because his fans invade forums where they don't belong and ask questions like this. That question belongs in the 'Bands and Artists' forum.
And because they do it still after all this time...
"If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Lewis Carroll
Last edited by pb15994 at Mar 26, 2015,
Quote by pb15994
I don't think it's him that is hated, but his fans. They tend to mention him all the time for being 'the best', while he's not a bad guitarist, but hell no, he's not the best nor anywhere close to being one of the best.
Also because his fans invade forums where they don't belong and ask questions like this. That question belongs in the 'Bands and Artists' forum

Oh I know he's not the best I just said he's one of my favorite, and I thought the pit was for anything and everything. Correct me if i'm wrong here.
Youre wrong here
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I aint ur m8, bruv
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by BelowTheSun
Holy shit, is this 2008? My time machine worked?

Seriously

I never hated him...I'm one of the guys who enjoyed his playing. It hasn't really been an issue in the "metal community" for awhile...the hate Syn had is now reserved for BVB and Sleeping With Sirens. Teens obsess and make a band popular and "true" metalheads hate. Simple.
Quote by JBailey23
Seriously

I never hated him...I'm one of the guys who enjoyed his playing. It hasn't really been an issue in the "metal community" for awhile...the hate Syn had is now reserved for BVB and Sleeping With Sirens. Teens obsess and make a band popular and "true" metalheads hate. Simple.

To be fair "true" metalheads usually hate everything past the 90's
probably because Avenged Sevenfold went to shit extremely fast so he doesnt matter as a guitarist

they had a few jams and Seize the Day or whatever its called is a classic but they stopped being relevant quicker than most bands
Synester Gates is lame. I've come up with better names in my alphabet soup
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by GuitarGod_92
probably because Avenged Sevenfold went to shit extremely fast so he doesnt matter as a guitarist

they had a few jams and Seize the Day or whatever its called is a classic but they stopped being relevant quicker than most bands

True they haven't done anything good in 5 years. I wouldn't exactly say they're irrelevant though.
Hail to the King was exactly the record the band was going for when they said they wanted to create an old school Metallica/GNR but to the general public who bought it everyone agreed it was boring and A7X dropped like a hot potato from being the band everyone talked about it seems.
Because he looks like a 14 year old goth kid, has a stage name of a 14 year old goth kid and his taste in guitars is like a 14 year old goth kid's.

He's a technically skilled guitarist. But that's all there is going for him.

Like everybody else has said, Avenged Sevenfold stopped being relevant almost 10 years ago.

And Hail to the King was a joke.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 26, 2015,
Yeah hail to the king was pretty bad. They tried to make it too simple and radio friendly.
Quote by GuitarGod_92

They are still headlining festivals and selling out arenas over here despite Hail To The King being a piece of garbage.

Source: I have an A7X username.
because he's far too edgey for the metal scene
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
If you need to come up with a name like Synester Gates to draw attention to yourself, there can't be much going for you to begin with.
^

As far as the name goes it was probably just them sitting around in their younger days just thinking of funny stuff to call themselves on stage...and it just so happened they became one of the biggest bands in the world just a few years later with all eyes on them.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Look at the guy.

I mean. Cmon.

this lol
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
1. He looks like an idiot
2. He has a dumb stage name
3. He makes boring music
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JBailey23
^

As far as the name goes it was probably just them sitting around in their younger days just thinking of funny stuff to call themselves on stage...and it just so happened they became one of the biggest bands in the world just a few years later with all eyes on them.

They're all religious themed names. Just thought i'd point that out

And all that said I'm a big a7x fan and I think syn is incredibly talented :')
ayy lmao
i like his soloing, and i thought City of Evil was great when i was younger. talented musicians, but in a style of music that i just don't like that much anymore. they're like an unsatisfying compromise between rock and metal.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
He is hated because people like to hate people who don't look like them and who don't make music they like: no good reason in other words.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
my god, that tone was horrible! and the note choices were incredibly boring. but mostly the tone was just pure shit.

That's probably mostly down to the quality of the video, when it is in the song it sounds fine
Gear
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom-S
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez RG370DXL w/SD Invaders and a hot rail
Tanglewood acoustic
Marshall JVM410H
+a lot of pedals!
Quote by ElMaco
He is hated because people like to hate people who don't look like them and who don't make music they like: no good reason in other words.

You posted this comment because you hate people that don't agree with your opinion
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 26, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You posted this comment because you hate people that don't agree with your opinion.

I do not
I think his stage name is kinda stupid too. But then, stage names usually kinda are, so whatever. His signature guitars look kinda cool, but I've never gotten to lay hands on one. Features list isn't bad on them though. But nothing about Gates' playing or writing, or anything about Avenged Sevenfold has ever made me want to hear more of them. Mostly it's total ambivalence for me.

Quote by hurricane0202
To be fair "true" metalheads usually hate everything past the 90's

Hey, now, that's a gross generalization! I'll prove it!

*checks CD collection*

*realizes it's a CD collection*

Er...nevermind. I'll show myself out.
Dude, I play bass. I don't get paid for anything past the 4th fret.