So, a couple of years ago I bought myself a fantastic Fender Telecaster. The reason I went with it, although I make a lot of metal music, is that I reckon it has the best clean sound a guitar can make. However, while the distorted sound is tolerable, I know other pickups are potentially more suitable, and it does produce a metric shit-ton of noise and hum, which is a big problem.

Now that I can finally afford to upgrade, I don't even know what to look for. As far as I understand, it is the bridge pickup that I will be upgrading, while the neck will remain; and as far as I understand, it is the neck pickup position that is suitable for clean, while the bridge pickup that is suitable for distortion. After-all, I only use the neck position on my cleans. If this is wrong, please do correct me! My biggest criteria is that the clean sound is not compromised in the process of upgrading.

So, if you were going to create a great balance between cleans and distortion, which pickups would you be looking at? I am assuming a hum-cancelling single-coil are a must. It also seems that rail/blade pickups could be of interest. The only pickup I have come across so far is the DiMarzio Chopper, which looks okay. I'm also interested in Bare Knuckle, so if anyone has experience, that would be cool. Other than that, suggest away! And let's assume my budget is unlimited.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
Check out the hot rails and the little '59. Both are single coil sized humbuckers that'll fit right into the bridge position of your Tele. Both have a great price and are a good place to start.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/index.php?page=1
Quote by JBailey23
Check out the hot rails and the little '59. Both are single coil sized humbuckers that'll fit right into the bridge position of your Tele. Both have a great price and are a good place to start.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/index.php?page=1

Just a technical question: Installing a new single coil into the bridge position, while still keeping the neck pickup will not lead to any complications, right? And that way, I get to keep my clean tone, while improving the distorted tone?

I will look into Seymour Duncan a bit more. I know the Hot Rails are popular.
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Ambivalence.
Correct. The hot rails and pickups like them are humbuckers that can fit in the smaller slot reserved for a single coil. You wouldn't be touching the single coil in the neck so no worries about a tone loss there. If a thick metal sound is what you're wanting to get back to with this guitar then a single coil sized humbucker is the way to go.
Quote by JBailey23
Correct. The hot rails and pickups like them are humbuckers that can fit in the smaller slot reserved for a single coil. You wouldn't be touching the single coil in the neck so no worries about a tone loss there. If a thick metal sound is what you're wanting to get back to with this guitar then a single coil sized humbucker is the way to go.

That's a relief. I have indeed been looking at single coil rail pickups for the most part. Hot Rails are clearly a favorite, but what about the other rail/blade pickups that other companies offer? DiMarzio have a wide variety, and I'm sure plenty of other, less known companies produce some too. Bare Knuckle, for instance, have the Cobra, which looks interesting.
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Ambivalence.
Though they are good from demos I've heard don't bare knuckles cost like $200+ per pickup? I couldn't offer any single coil advice but I'd definitely look around somewhere else.
The Bare Knuckles have a good reputation...I personally can't say anything about them because I've never came across them. Dimarzios much either. I've played just about all the Duncan rails/single sized HBs and they get the job done really well.
Quote by Wormholes
Though they are good from demos I've heard don't bare knuckles cost like $200+ per pickup? I couldn't offer any single coil advice but I'd definitely look around somewhere else.

Money is not an issue.

Quote by JBailey23
The Bare Knuckles have a good reputation...I personally can't say anything about them because I've never came across them. Dimarzios much either. I've played just about all the Duncan rails/single sized HBs and they get the job done really well.

Well, thank you anyway I'll just wait around for more replies and then do some research and comparisons. But the SD HR will definitely be on my list.
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Ambivalence.
Quote by 1201ZJ
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Lil-Puncher-XL-Three-Versions-Available_p_465.html

This may not interest you but I figured I would share it anyway. I have the modern lead (15k) model in the bridge of my tele. I love it. And you can't beat it for the price.

As far as I can tell from a few quick Google searches, Lil Punchers are very much a budget brand. My budget is unlimited, so I want to invest in the best I can find.
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Ambivalence.
Quote by JBailey23

I have a bareknuckle humbucker in one of my guitars an it is very nice. It is quite a bluesy PAF pickup though, so I don't know how their higher output ones sound.

Have a look though
I really liked the SD Hotrail set when I had a Tele. Pretty fat sounding for a single coil sized 'bucker.

I don't think BKP makes single coil sized humbuckers for Tele's stock but you might be able to email them and get them to make you one of the strat ones like a Cobra on a tele mount. Be prepared to pay entirely too much for it though. I myself had a BKP Aftermath in my Ibanez FR for a little bit. I was very undwhelmed by it. I find a lot of their pickups are one trick ponies. The aftermath was extremely trebly and almost thin sounding. Probably good for more extreme metal. The juggs are obviously for djent. It's about finding what you need for a specific genre with them.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9