Hi!

I am really frustrated with my soloing style at the moment, and would love some critique. I will take all the advice I can get! So I would really appreciate your feedback!

This is a improvisation over a funky bluesy backing track, and it is my first conscious attempt at trying to blend the major and minor scale together (I usually just use minor pentatonics). I would really appreciate if you could listen 2-3 minutes in! I will, of course, C4C

Thanks!

Link: https://soundcloud.com/thomas-myhren/majorminor-funkbluesimprov
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Sounds good man, I think maybe better use of phrasing with developing repetitions with increasing dynamics may help.

Best way I learnt blues improv was just by learning licks and solo's off the old greats and then utilising them in my own way.

Another way of adding interest is by landing on more risky notes that aren't obvious going points for the ears. If as a listener you find yourself easily able to predict the next note it can become a bit boring as if it's scripted.

I'm not a huge blues player myself though so this is probably either shit or amateur advice!

Thanks for the comment on mine!
Hello

Some nice playing, as Karstaag666 said i think experimenting and working on the of phrasing will add something more to your playing. There's plenty of blues guys to look at that I'm sure you'll know any ways such as BB King or Joe Bonamassa or someone like Joanne Shaw-Taylor.

Another interesting technique to add bit more colour and excitement to runs is to add notes outside of the scale as embellishments. This video Guthrie Govan did would be good to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Hg4JdwMMg. Also check out a guy called Aaron Marshall and his song Epiphany with Intervals, his phrasing is awesome.

Again, good stuff!

C4C - I'd appreciate if you could check out my track at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1672636
Last edited by Morphitis at Mar 27, 2015,
sounds good man, the soloing is smooth, as stated above outside notes might make it a bit more interesting. Also a thicker mix, idk if there's bass but it doesn't sound like there is. That might help as well a lot. try using upper structure theory it might get you out of the frustration you're having.
You have a decent intuition for improvising, but perhaps you are asking yourself the kinds of questions that ultimately just confuse the process. Your ear is the best guide you could ever ask for, just develop that intuition and your ear and literally everything else falls in to place. The scale you use, outside notes as some of the posters above me had mentioned, and phrasing all become a part of that expressive and intuitive process. You develop an ear for what you want to play, and the technique for expressing that mental note on the guitar; there is an understanding you develop for how far from the last note you were on the next note is. It all just comes with lots and lots of time spent playing around, and loving the process. No shortcuts man, just put the time and love into your music and your improv and the rest takes care of itself. All in all, good job man.